Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
No emails
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
No emails
Guys my email has been infected with the heartbleed bug ( actually they tell me it's not my computers problem, but my providers problem) and I get literally thousands of email delivery failure notices supposedly generated from my email address every day. By dinnertime last night I had 4500 of them. That's after clearing out nearly 2000 by 10 am. The provider says they are "working on it"

Anyhow if you need to get ahold of me please use the "send the ferret a private message" function under my profile (click on my user name it will take you there)

Thanks, and I will let everyone know when/ if this issue ever gets cleared up.

And if any of you computer whizzes know how to block this thing, feel free to send me a pm too ... What a pia!

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
04-18-2014 04:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CB4ME Offline
Road Warrior

Maryland
RE: No emails
Yikes. Mail seemed to work yesterday evening. Hope it's fixed soom and you don't hit the 10,000 mark on those failure notices.

[size=xx-small]Accessories by: Agras, BabyFace, Chic Design, Daytona, Endurance, Force Design, Honda, K&H, K&N, Magic Racing, MotoGear, Moriwaki, Ohlins, PBI Sprockets, Posh, Power Commander, Ryujin, SP Takegawa, SP Tadao, SW Motech, TSR, U-Kanaya, WM, XAM Sprockets [/size]
04-18-2014 04:36 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(04-18-2014 04:36 AM)CB4ME Wrote:  Yikes. Mail seemed to work yesterday evening. Hope it's fixed soom and you don't hit the 10,000 mark on those failure notices.

What do you mean I never received an email from you yesterday that I know of? and what happens at 10,000 does my computer explode?

Defender of the Realm
04-18-2014 04:48 AM
Tortuga Offline
High Mileage

UK
Wink just another 'bleeding heart story' ...
04-18-2014 06:06 AM
shdwghst457 Offline
Running Like a Top

San Antonio, TX
OK, from a tech standpoint (since that's where I make my living) I can clarify some things about "Heartbleed":

It's not a virus, trojan, worm, malware, infection or anything of the sort; it's a vulnerability. A weakness in the system that's used to encrypt traffic.

If you've been affected by it, you simply need to change your password. If the server hosting your service (it could be your email, bank, a CB1100 forum, etc.) hasn't patched the OpenSSL software to the newer version that is missing the vulnerability, it could get compromised again. Most sites are advertising that they're not affected, at which time it's safe to go ahead and change your password and assume you're safe.

On a side note, though, if you use that compromised password on other sites you need to change it there as well. Once your user name and password combination is discovered "they" will attempt to use it all over the place.

And to think, the NSA has known about this for over two years. Great job protecting us!

'14 - #102052
'13 - #000955 (sold)
04-21-2014 12:12 PM
Tortuga Offline
High Mileage

UK
(04-21-2014 12:12 PM)shdwghst457 Wrote:  OK, from a tech standpoint (since that's where I make my living) I can clarify some things about "Heartbleed":

It's not a virus, trojan, worm, malware, infection or anything of the sort; it's a vulnerability. A weakness in the system that's used to encrypt traffic.

If you've been affected by it, you simply need to change your password. If the server hosting your service (it could be your email, bank, a CB1100 forum, etc.) hasn't patched the OpenSSL software to the newer version that is missing the vulnerability, it could get compromised again. Most sites are advertising that they're not affected, at which time it's safe to go ahead and change your password and assume you're safe.

On a side note, though, if you use that compromised password on other sites you need to change it there as well. Once your user name and password combination is discovered "they" will attempt to use it all over the place.

And to think, the NSA has known about this for over two years. Great job protecting us!

I think they're too busy 'monitoring' you to give a crap whether your bank gets cleaned out.

And I'll stop now. Big Grin
04-21-2014 12:24 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Well, my son in law the IT guy has me fixed up for now. None since yesterday morning (knock on wood). My computer now has more filters on it than a pack of Winstons lol

Shadwghst.. I can't tell you what it is other than supposedly it was coming out of Cinti Bell's fuse network and it was their problem and not on my end. It affected mine but not my wife's email and literally 5000 failure delivery notices by afternoon every day..all day all night these things were coming in, every minute, it was crazy. I'd delete 1500 and while I was doing that 500 more would come in. I'm sure I deleted legitimate emails as well, but I was just hitting delete all and clearing the bank.

I did change my password, but I have not on other sites (don't go to many and they are all mc related except for weather, photobucket and google). Guess I need to figure out how to do that.

Defender of the Realm
04-21-2014 02:56 PM
Tortuga Offline
High Mileage

UK
(04-21-2014 02:56 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Well, my son in law the IT guy has me fixed up for now. None since yesterday morning (knock on wood). My computer now has more filters on it than a pack of Winstons lol

Shadwghst.. I can't tell you what it is other than supposedly it was coming out of Cinti Bell's fuse network and it was their problem and not on my end. It affected mine but not my wife's email and literally 5000 failure delivery notices by afternoon every day..all day all night these things were coming in, every minute, it was crazy. I'd delete 1500 and while I was doing that 500 more would come in. I'm sure I deleted legitimate emails as well, but I was just hitting delete all and clearing the bank.

I did change my password, but I have not on other sites (don't go to many and they are all mc related except for weather, photobucket and google). Guess I need to figure out how to do that.

Stock answer in such occasions.

You will never hear someone say " well I changed my password for NaughtyNurses.com and SexySchoolGirls.net, but my bank log in seems uncorrupted.
Big Grin
04-21-2014 03:04 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
ROFL

Defender of the Realm
04-21-2014 03:22 PM
shdwghst457 Offline
Running Like a Top

San Antonio, TX
I do a lot of user training/computer coaching and this has been a huge PITA having to traverse the entire internet changing passwords. I've been putting everyone on 1Password to encourage having strong and unique passwords for each site (1P generates a random password and types it in for you when you go to that site).

Again, being a vulnerability on the server rather than malware on your computer, it doesn't matter if you put every virus scanner on earth on there, or throw it in a lake, you can still be affected by these shenanigans.

'14 - #102052
'13 - #000955 (sold)
04-22-2014 09:00 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition