Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Harley guys complemented me today
ss2wheels Offline
Running Like a Top

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
RE: Harley guys complemented me today
Isn't it strange and hard to explain the way that it's HD and then every other make of motorcycle? For me having had 7 HDs and a s--t load of everything else in the last 40 years I can say that I ride a bike for the feeling of the machine more than the feeling of being part of a group.I have enjoyed my HDs,the oldest being a 1987 and the newest a 2011 streetglide so really pretty good reliable bikes.I would never have even considered an HD prior to that because they were oil leaking, falling apart piles of s--t! I guess the reason I always go back to japanese bikes is the same reason my wife and I drive toyota's, we simply like the way they feel.Now let me ask you does any of this make sense? I am not a Harley basher, they are gorgeous and reliable machine's now, and so many people own them or want to own them,I guess that even though they are built with so many parts from Japan and all over the globe, they are an american company since 1903, and that means something...
05-12-2014 07:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Spaceman Offline
Road Warrior

First Amendment Street
(05-12-2014 07:38 AM)ss2wheels Wrote:  Isn't it strange and hard to explain the way that it's HD and then every other make of motorcycle? For me having had 7 HDs and a s--t load of everything else in the last 40 years I can say that I ride a bike for the feeling of the machine more than the feeling of being part of a group....

There's no doubt at all that a very large percentage of people buy HD because they see it as a membership card in a club. And there's nothing wrong with that. I think HD ownership has lost some of the cache it had when people were waiting a year and paying $1,000's over MSRP for bikes, but it's still there.

(05-12-2014 07:38 AM)ss2wheels Wrote:  ...they are an american company since 1903, and that means something...
The week before last I got a text message out of the blue asking if my '77 Low Rider was still for sale. I texted back and explained I'd sold it to a collector from Japan, and asked where he'd seen the bike. He replied: "You're a traitor, you don't deserve to live in the US."

Given that the guy from Japan paid literally double the best offer I'd ever gotten from anybody in the US, I think I can live with my decision.

Go hagofuku yourself.
05-12-2014 10:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CeeBeeMe Offline
1st Service Completed

NW Chicagoland
I ride CB because I like the bike period.The ferret
05-12-2014 01:20 PM
grover Offline
Running Like a Top

Dallas, TX
Harley guys complemented me today
(05-12-2014 10:43 AM)The Spaceman Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 07:38 AM)ss2wheels Wrote:  Isn't it strange and hard to explain the way that it's HD and then every other make of motorcycle? For me having had 7 HDs and a s--t load of everything else in the last 40 years I can say that I ride a bike for the feeling of the machine more than the feeling of being part of a group....

There's no doubt at all that a very large percentage of people buy HD because they see it as a membership card in a club. And there's nothing wrong with that. I think HD ownership has lost some of the cache it had when people were waiting a year and paying $1,000's over MSRP for bikes, but it's still there.

(05-12-2014 07:38 AM)ss2wheels Wrote:  ...they are an american company since 1903, and that means something...
The week before last I got a text message out of the blue asking if my '77 Low Rider was still for sale. I texted back and explained I'd sold it to a collector from Japan, and asked where he'd seen the bike. He replied: "You're a traitor, you don't deserve to live in the US."

Given that the guy from Japan paid literally double the best offer I'd ever gotten from anybody in the US, I think I can live with my decision.

Hah! Sounds like you made the capitalist decision to me...what's more American than that?! Wink

grover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05-13-2014 07:47 AM
shdwghst457 Offline
Running Like a Top

San Antonio, TX
(05-12-2014 10:43 AM)The Spaceman Wrote:  The week before last I got a text message out of the blue asking if my '77 Low Rider was still for sale. I texted back and explained I'd sold it to a collector from Japan, and asked where he'd seen the bike. He replied: "You're a traitor, you don't deserve to live in the US."

I'm really failing to see what's traitorous about selling something to someone overseas. I suppose it's safe to assume he only eats locally grown crops, wears clothing made in the US, and doesn't own a computer? Perhaps he burns himself with a cigarette (an American cigarette, for sure) every time he sees an attractive girl from a different ethnic background? Where does the madness stop?

He probably shouldn't be using gasoline, because that certainly doesn't come from here!

'14 - #102052
'13 - #000955 (sold)
05-13-2014 09:26 AM
MFGUSA Offline
Running Like a Top

Wisconsin
The only thing left in America that's All American are probably us Baby Boomers.

91st Black 2014 CB1100
05-13-2014 12:30 PM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Doesn't HARLEY sell Harleys overseas??? And aren't foreign parts in their bikes?

On topic, a number of HD riders waved to me today and one with ape hangers and a German looking helmet looked away with nose in the air. Whatever.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
05-13-2014 04:04 PM
MFGUSA Offline
Running Like a Top

Wisconsin
I visited a Harley Dealership in Unna (or Kamen) Germany (near Dortmund). They had a sign out front "Milwaukee 2800 miles" and it pointed west. Looked like any other Harley Dealership as I remember.

91st Black 2014 CB1100
05-13-2014 04:39 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM
The Cormanus Chronicles: Remembering Jake an...
I’m sure contemporary rollers have som . . .Cormanus — 02:53 PM
Todays weather
Correct, Gone.Cormanus — 02:46 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,750

Full Statistics

>