Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Fear of death or injury
MFGUSA Offline
Running Like a Top

Wisconsin
RE: Fear of death or injury
Germanys roads are twice the thickness of US roads from what I recall. In '08 my wife and I rented a Audi A3 turbo diesel and I bumped 130mph a few times. Never did drive there in the winter and never on a bike though. The only accident we saw involved a Jeep and Ford van. Go figure.

91st Black 2014 CB1100
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2014 02:26 PM by MFGUSA.)
04-20-2014 12:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
"On several occasions I've walked out to the garage, stood there for a minute, then turned around and walked right back in the house."

Yea me too, because I usually forgot what I was headed out there for (could be the basement, or the kitchen for that matter.)

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
04-20-2014 12:10 PM
pechorin75 Away
1st Service Completed

Maryland
(04-20-2014 12:10 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Yea me too, because I usually forgot what I was headed out there for (could be the basement, or the kitchen for that matter.)

Ha! That's been known to happen on occasion, too (usually because I forgot the key).
04-20-2014 12:12 PM
Tortuga Offline
High Mileage

UK
(04-20-2014 12:06 PM)The Spaceman Wrote:  I think it was Jorge Lorenzo who said "if we ever really believed that we were going to crash at speed, we would never get on the bikes." Most of us dont truly internalize the risks we take. We think it'll happen to the other guy, or that we have special circumstances that make us immune, like living in the country, ATGATT, riding carefully, etc. Of course none of that matters when your day comes.

I've had two major wrecks that left me seriously f'd up for months. One time was my fault, one time wasn't, but it didn't matter. Both times there was never any doubt in my mind that as soon as I could, is ride again. In fact, the first time I expoxied a paint stir stick to my cast so I could shift the bike. Whatever the risks, its worth it to me.

Wise words Spaceman. "If you fall off the horse.." And all that.

(04-20-2014 12:06 PM)The ferret Wrote:  You don't get my age without beginning to think about your own demise.

Who doesn't know riding a motorcycle is dangerous and can get you hurt or killed?

Like the good Captain I ride with my head.

I won't watch those gore vids on purpose. I also don't watch operations on TV. I even turned off Dr Pol last night. I don't like gore.

Over 34,000 people died in their cars last year in the US surrounded by a metal cage and a slew of air bags.

Now..... are you afraid to drive your car?

Yes but how many cars compared to bikes are there compared to bikes, and what's the death rate for either mode of transport?
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2014 04:16 PM by The ferret.)
04-20-2014 01:06 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
I hope that I'm never seriously injured, or lose my life in a motorcycle accident. However, I do realize that it is always a possibility. I think about it every single time I get ready to head out on the bike and I'm always sure to let my wife and son know that I love them before I leave.

Like others, I do my best to stay in my head while riding, maintaining the utmost concentration and paying attention to the task at hand. I've taken the MSF course and I do tend to ride fairly conservatively. I'm aware that as much as we try to avoid accidents, there are still, and always will be some elements that are out of our control. All of that said, I love to ride.

I developed my interest in motorcycles through my dad. They were more of a hobby for him than a lifestyle choice and he probably spent more time working on them (his own and those of his friends) than he did riding them. For safety reasons, he ended up selling his last bike in when he was in his late 40's after experiencing a close call. A few years later, he ended up dying of a heart attack at the age of 52. We might be able to minimize our risks in life, but we have no control over the final script. In the end, for me it's all about finding a balance in life.

With all of that said, I wish everyone here safe travels whenever you happen to be out on two wheels.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
04-20-2014 01:16 PM
Tortuga Offline
High Mileage

UK
(04-20-2014 01:16 PM)Guth Wrote:  I hope that I'm never seriously injured, or lose my life in a motorcycle accident. However, I do realize that it is always a possibility. I think about it every single time I get ready to head out on the bike and I'm always sure to let my wife and son know that I love them before I leave.

Like others, I do my best to stay in my head while riding, maintaining the utmost concentration and paying attention to the task at hand. I've taken the MSF course and I do tend to ride fairly conservatively. I'm aware that as much as we try to avoid accidents, there are still, and always will be some elements that are out of our control. All of that said, I love to ride.

I developed my interest in motorcycles through my dad. They were more of a hobby for him than a lifestyle choice and he probably spent more time working on them (his own and those of his friends) than he did riding them. For safety reasons, he ended up selling his last bike in when he was in his late 40's after experiencing a close call. A few years later, he ended up dying of a heart attack at the age of 52. We might be able to minimize our risks in life, but we have no control over the final script. In the end, for me it's all about finding a balance in life.

With all of that said, I wish everyone here safe travels whenever you happen to be out on two wheels.

Very poignant words there.

As you rightly say, we could cease to be at any time, for any reason, so let's try to be careful and enjoy our bikes 'responsibly'. Wink
04-20-2014 01:22 PM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
I've seen one or two of those vids and don't care to see any more. Kinda like the gory film we had to watch in Drivers Ed to scare the bajeebers out of beginning drivers ( kids should still get those; especially the ones involving texting). I don't believe in fate and when your time is up it's up. We have a lot more control (aside from choosing our genes) over how we go by our actions. Sometimes it's the actions of others. Do your best.

Reminds me of PSA on Minnesota TV in the 70's. Whether the mirror hits the rock or the rock hits the mirror, it's going to be very bad for the mirror.

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
04-20-2014 02:34 PM
pechorin75 Away
1st Service Completed

Maryland
Just for the record, for those who didn't watch the video...I didn't see anything that I'd remotely qualify as "gore." Certainly a few bad accidents, in which there would have been some ugly injuries (if you could see them) and probably a couple of fatals--but nothing that's going to turn your stomach. The solid majority of it is low-speed stuff where you see the rider get up and walk around.
04-20-2014 02:51 PM
Gingersdaddy Offline
Running Like a Top

Hertford, NC
(04-20-2014 01:16 PM)Guth Wrote:  I hope that I'm never seriously injured, or lose my life in a motorcycle accident. However, I do realize that it is always a possibility. I think about it every single time I get ready to head out on the bike and I'm always sure to let my wife and son know that I love them before I leave.

+1 Guth, I told my wife life is short and I want to enjoy it to its fullest. If I die bicycling, kayaking, motorcycle riding etc., I died doing something that I loved to do. There is risk in everything we do, but its not going to keep me from an adventure. A little fear is a good thing, reminds us to be careful.
04-20-2014 03:10 PM
PowderToastMan Offline
Running Like a Top

California
(04-20-2014 11:57 AM)Greg Wrote:  Everyone is going to die and it's a damn shame to die without ever living.

Exactly! Rather live a little with the risk of dying early than not-live and be miserable for a long time. And I think those of us who are actively doing things to mitigate the risk are in a fairly good position (not to say that you magicially become invincible by being a safety nut, but the statistics start to slide a little in our favor IMO).

For my wife's sake I do have this bad feeling that it is selfish of me to pursue such a high risk activity, but if I stop riding entirely, I feel like I will pretty much be dead on the inside anyway.
I could get hit by a car and die crossing the street on foot going to 7-eleven, or in the car on the way to/from work but am I supposed to stop doing those as well?
04-20-2014 03:30 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
There could always be worse headlines . . .Gone in 60 — 03:10 PM
Todays weather
Today was overcast and it reached about . . .GoldOxide — 02:53 PM
That is very pretty! I'm a bit chal . . .GoldOxide — 02:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
First time out this season now that Iā . . .GoldOxide — 02:43 PM
Let's see your CB1100 out on the road!
Yikes A-man! Glad to read you sailed th . . .GoldOxide — 02:39 PM
That is very pretty! I'm a bit challeng . . .Gone in 60 — 02:15 PM
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.
excuse my while i smash my gopro and n . . .Gone in 60 — 02:09 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Lovely looking bike, mtneers.Cormanus — 01:31 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,531
» Latest member: Tom the mod
» Forum threads: 15,992
» Forum posts: 330,377

Full Statistics

>