Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Fear of death or injury
furious_blue Offline
Running Like a Top

RE: Fear of death or injury
Like others have noted, on days that I *don't* have a sense of mortality, I park the motorcycle. I also get around a lot in crowded city traffic by bicycle, which IMHO is far more risky than a motorcycle since one can only stop or get out of the way because there's no 'power ahead' option.
Nowadays when I go out on a motorcycle I wear one of those off-road neck braces, a pair of those off-road rigid articulated knee braces, and road boots that have stiff ankle twist protection. None of these things will help in a high speed wreck or if I get run over, but they may save some crucial joints in a low speed or no-speed spill...
I look kind of strange in all that gear, but it's my life and limbs :-)
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2014 04:04 PM by furious_blue.)
04-20-2014 04:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wayne van horn Offline
1st Service Completed

phoenix, az.
The only thing you have too fear is fear itself
04-20-2014 05:13 PM
Tortuga Offline
High Mileage

UK
(04-20-2014 05:13 PM)wayne van horn Wrote:  The only thing you have too fear is fear itself

And being mangled by a truck.
04-20-2014 05:52 PM
Gingersdaddy Offline
Running Like a Top

Hertford, NC
(04-20-2014 05:52 PM)Tortuga Wrote:  
(04-20-2014 05:13 PM)wayne van horn Wrote:  The only thing you have too fear is fear itself

It happened around here a year or so ago, Early morning, pickup and motorcycle wreck, 18 wheeler came over a hill saw the pickup and bike, did not see the guy lying in the road and ran over him.Confused
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2014 06:08 PM by Gingersdaddy.)
04-20-2014 06:07 PM
Tortuga Offline
High Mileage

UK
(04-20-2014 06:07 PM)Gingersdaddy Wrote:  
(04-20-2014 05:52 PM)Tortuga Wrote:  

It happened around here a year or so ago, Early morning, pickup and motorcycle wreck, 18 wheeler came over a hill saw the pickup and bike, did not see the guy lying in the road and ran over him.Confused

Yikes! See I told ya!

Actually that's one of my worst fears, survive the fall then get squished.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2014 06:33 PM by Tortuga.)
04-20-2014 06:09 PM
12cb96vfr Offline
1st Service Completed

Charlotte, nc
it took a wreck for me to realize these things are VERY dangerous. It woke me up very quickly, now I ride nice & slow, and if I'm in the mood for go-fast fun I head to the track.

My fear isn't going too fast and blowing a corner in the mountains, I'm afraid of some jacka## texting and ramming me, or crossing into my lane, or blowing a red light. Since all of my fears are car-related I try to ride wayyy out of the city and get away from cars to minimize my risk.

I've always said that if you take drugs/alcohol & breaking traffic laws out of the equation bikes become much safer ("safe" being a relative term).

And I already ride 100% geared up...
04-20-2014 06:32 PM
Tortuga Offline
High Mileage

UK
(04-20-2014 06:32 PM)12cb96vfr Wrote:  it took a wreck for me to realize these things are VERY dangerous. It woke me up very quickly, now I ride nice & slow, and if I'm in the mood for go-fast fun I head to the track.

My fear isn't going too fast and blowing a corner in the mountains, I'm afraid of some jacka## texting and ramming me, or crossing into my lane, or blowing a red light. Since all of my fears are car-related I try to ride wayyy out of the city and get away from cars to minimize my risk.

I've always said that if you take drugs/alcohol & breaking traffic laws out of the equation bikes become much safer ("safe" being a relative term).

And I already ride 100% geared up...

Would it be vulgar to ask what happened to you? (In the wreck)
04-20-2014 06:35 PM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
Strewth, you blokes think too much.

Cheers
04-20-2014 06:36 PM
cbdtran Offline
Running Like a Top

San Diego, CA
I have 30K miles on motorcycles in 30 yrs, never occurs to me that motorcycle is dangerous in the front part of the brain, but in the back I know it is dangerous, one hit and it is merde. I ask one 71 yrs old rider what he feels about riding, he says it is not more dangerous than riding the car even he had a titanium rod in his leg from a motorcycle crash.

Last week, I see a girl almost hit a rider from behind at 35 MPH on an empty street because of unknown reason, the rider never realizes he is in close call on his Reptol CBR250.

I hone my skill freequently, dont like ride on highway except on right lane. Motorcycling is a fun outlet, not a transportation.

On highway: keep 150ft or more and don't allow tailgate. so is city riding - a safe distance. In short, don't assume anything. Keep your eyes on rear mirrors.
04-20-2014 07:21 PM
ThomWill Offline
1st Service Completed

Loganville, Ga
Fear of death or injury
Last year, my wife and I were in a horrible hit and run car accident. Over the guard rail and into the trees. She has a permanently mangled but usable leg, and I walked away thanks to crumple zones, and no lack of amazing fortune. I will post photos of what is left of the car if anyone cares to see. The only the thing that got her through all the PT was the promise of riding the motorcycles again. Of course it is not safe, the car is not safe, but to us, it is worth it to know the freedom of the road and camaraderie of other fools like us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I might be wrong, I sometime am.

2013 CB1100, 77 Honda CB550F (hard luck case), 82 Suzuki GS850G, 2005 Yamaha RSTD, 2007 Triumph America.
04-20-2014 07:43 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Milestone Thread (Take 2)
Go Django! Interesting it doesn’t sa . . .Django — 11:40 PM
Sundays with Cheryl
Alright Cheryl's back riding. Been waiti . . .The ferret — 06:23 PM
Sundays with Cheryl