Michael

3 rights make a left
04-20-2014 07:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
RE: Fear of death or injury
Read the post. Won't watch the video. I try to control what I can control, anticipate what I can't control, and enjoy the ride.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
04-20-2014 08:31 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
My first five years of riding brought home the realities of sharing the road with mindless cagers, and also the consequences of just doing stupid stuff on two wheels. Several high and medium speed getoffs left me with time (while healing) to think about the real risks.

While those experiences drastically changed the way I went about riding, I don't think I ever considered selling the bike and taking up basket weaving. In the risk / reward equation, riding is just too rewarding to give up. Instead, I've done everything I can do to minimize the risks, mostly by altering the way I ride. So far, so good. I ride just about every day and it's been well over 25 yrs. since I put a scratch on a bike (although cagers try to put a scratch on me at least once a week).

If I decided to sell my plane and bikes to live a low risk lifestyle, I'd be dead of boredom within a year Big Grin

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
04-20-2014 08:32 PM
Elipten Offline
Road Warrior

San Antonio, TX
Fear of death or injury
Riding bike is like flying fighter jets in combat. Experience and training is the key to raising your odds of survival. Second do not do stupid things, drinking, drugs, driving tired, not sure about the cell phone in helmet comm systems.

Drive like they are all out to kill you, and drive in 3 second increments for survival.

It is more dangerous now than 40 years ago when I started, no cell phones then, huge SUVs, and a lot less traffic. Also don't buy a biker bigger and more powerful than you can handle. A 750 was big then, now hard to find a bike that small and that good.

That video is full of people doing mostly stupid things, or very inexperienced. In many countries I visit there is no training for car lisences let alone motorcycles. Other countries licenses for cars and motorcycles are tough to get (Germany and Japan).

I'm not going to stop riding, if combat did not kill me, and if I fear to ride, life just is not worth living. As there are few things that give me greater joy.

Heads up, use mirrors, keep bike maintained, wits always keen. ENJOY!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current inventory

2014 CB1100 DLX
1990 BMW K75RT
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2014 08:59 PM by Elipten.)
04-20-2014 08:56 PM
lola Offline
Running Like a Top

Los Angeles,Ca
Fear? death? Injury? Yes but do not dwell on it. Ive had numerous saves both on race track and real road situations and actually crashed a month ago but riding to me is a constant study in honing ones skill to stay alive and to keep it up right, I love it and it challenges me on a daily basis. I know the dangers & I know of videos on the interweb but I choose to rather watch girls on trampolines or these types

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu598EhI7LU

[font=Arial][color=#FF0000]money pit[/color][/font]
04-20-2014 10:38 PM
Elipten Offline
Road Warrior

San Antonio, TX
Fear of death or injury
No sandals sometimes! Wow

Current inventory

2014 CB1100 DLX
1990 BMW K75RT
04-20-2014 11:00 PM
Red Mist Offline
Running Like a Top

USA
“I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.”

― Jack London

[i]Does anybody remember laughter?[/i]
-Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant ROFL
04-20-2014 11:36 PM
Tortuga Offline
High Mileage

UK
(04-20-2014 11:36 PM)Red Mist Wrote:  “I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.”

― Jack London

How has that escaped my attention all these years? What an excellent verse!

I'm cutting that out and sticking it on my wall! No wait... Sad

(04-20-2014 08:56 PM)Elipten Wrote:  Riding bike is like flying fighter jets in combat. Experience and training is the key to raising your odds of survival. Second do not do stupid things, drinking, drugs, driving tired, not sure about the cell phone in helmet comm systems.

Drive like they are all out to kill you, and drive in 3 second increments for survival.

It is more dangerous now than 40 years ago when I started, no cell phones then, huge SUVs, and a lot less traffic. Also don't buy a biker bigger and more powerful than you can handle. A 750 was big then, now hard to find a bike that small and that good.

That video is full of people doing mostly stupid things, or very inexperienced. In many countries I visit there is no training for car lisences let alone motorcycles. Other countries licenses for cars and motorcycles are tough to get (Germany and Japan).

I'm not going to stop riding, if combat did not kill me, and if I fear to ride, life just is not worth living. As there are few things that give me greater joy.

Heads up, use mirrors, keep bike maintained, wits always keen. ENJOY!

I think I know who you are;

(04-20-2014 10:38 PM)lola Wrote:  Fear? death? Injury? Yes but do not dwell on it. Ive had numerous saves both on race track and real road situations and actually crashed a month ago but riding to me is a constant study in honing ones skill to stay alive and to keep it up right, I love it and it challenges me on a daily basis. I know the dangers & I know of videos on the interweb but I choose to rather watch girls on trampolines or these types

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu598EhI7LU

Holy smokes! Why didn't someone tell me bikes that good were available? Those things are 'wheelie monsters'!!

I'm selling my CB and buying one of those! Big Grin

Now, back to my basket weaving ...

(04-20-2014 08:32 PM)Flynrider Wrote:  My first five years of riding brought home the realities of sharing the road with mindless cagers, and also the consequences of just doing stupid stuff on two wheels. Several high and medium speed getoffs left me with time (while healing) to think about the real risks.

While those experiences drastically changed the way I went about riding, I don't think I ever considered selling the bike and taking up basket weaving. In the risk / reward equation, riding is just too rewarding to give up. Instead, I've done everything I can do to minimize the risks, mostly by altering the way I ride. So far, so good. I ride just about every day and it's been well over 25 yrs. since I put a scratch on a bike (although cagers try to put a scratch on me at least once a week).

If I decided to sell my plane and bikes to live a low risk lifestyle, I'd be dead of boredom within a year Big Grin
Pilot, Lais c'est fiat attitude to life, this wouldn't be you, would it?
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2014 01:49 AM by Tortuga.)
04-21-2014 01:35 AM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
(04-21-2014 01:35 AM)Tortuga Wrote:  Pilot, Lais c'est fiat attitude to life, this wouldn't be you, would it?

Nope. Most people think I'm a bit nuttier than that guy Tongue

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
04-21-2014 02:05 AM
Tortuga Offline
High Mileage

UK
(04-21-2014 02:05 AM)Flynrider Wrote:  
(04-21-2014 01:35 AM)Tortuga Wrote:  Pilot, Lais c'est fiat attitude to life, this wouldn't be you, would it?

Nope. Most people think I'm a bit nuttier than that guy Tongue

Lol, what are you like eh? Clap

So.. Can you loop the loop on your CB11 yet?
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2014 02:08 AM by Tortuga.)
04-21-2014 02:08 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM