Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Interactive exhaust valve
Randy B Offline
Road Warrior

Palm Bay FL
RE: Interactive exhaust valve
Look at the outlet of the pipe. Its not a round hole like on the US bikes.
04-26-2014 11:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Oh I've seen that. that's it? Where are the cables and servo motor that controls it?

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
04-26-2014 12:13 PM
Deanohh Offline
Running Like a Top

Redmond, Wa
(04-26-2014 12:13 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Oh I've seen that. that's it? Where are the cables and servo motor that controls it?

if you look at your air intake duct, there is a rubber cap that is glued in. For the valve control there would be a hose leading to some kind of diaphragm down by the passenger foot rest which actuated the gizmo in the exhaust can. No motor or cables.

Either I saw that someplace or dreamed it...forget which.

2011 Triumph Street Triple R
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2014 12:42 PM by Deanohh.)
04-26-2014 12:28 PM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
Used to tune the exhaust so high revving whacko sport bikes (which typically have it, like my buddies GXR) can have some torque at lower rpms. Back pressure can be a good thing for a motor, low down rpm's for in town riding is one place for it.

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
04-26-2014 05:36 PM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
(04-26-2014 12:28 PM)Deanohh Wrote:  
(04-26-2014 12:13 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Oh I've seen that. that's it? Where are the cables and servo motor that controls it?

if you look at your air intake duct, there is a rubber cap that is glued in. For the valve control there would be a hose leading to some kind of diaphragm down by the passenger foot rest which actuated the gizmo in the exhaust can. No motor or cables.

The valve:
[IMG]http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/tonys_mail/imagejpg1_zpse6f5736e.jpg', '', 'toolbar=no');myWindow.focus();">[IMG]http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/tonys_mail/imagejpg1_zpse6f5736e.jpg" style="max-width: 600px; max-height: 600px;" alt="İmage" title="Click Photo To Enlarge" />[/img]

The actuator cable:
[IMG]http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/tonys_mail/imagejpg2_zps97efe211.jpg', '', 'toolbar=no');myWindow.focus();">[IMG]http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/tonys_mail/imagejpg2_zps97efe211.jpg" style="max-width: 600px; max-height: 600px;" alt="İmage" title="Click Photo To Enlarge" />[/img]

Cheers
04-26-2014 05:56 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
how about that! very interesting. thanks Pterodactyl

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
04-26-2014 05:59 PM
Tyke57nz Offline
1st Service Completed

NZ
(04-26-2014 05:56 PM)Pterodactyl Wrote:  
(04-26-2014 12:28 PM)Deanohh Wrote:  

The valve:
[IMG]http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/tonys_mail/imagejpg1_zpse6f5736e.jpg', '', 'toolbar=no');myWindow.focus();">[IMG]http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/tonys_mail/imagejpg1_zpse6f5736e.jpg" style="max-width: 600px; max-height: 600px;" alt="İmage" title="Click Photo To Enlarge" />[/img]

The actuator cable:
[IMG]http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/tonys_mail/imagejpg2_zps97efe211.jpg', '', 'toolbar=no');myWindow.focus();">[IMG]http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/tonys_mail/imagejpg2_zps97efe211.jpg" style="max-width: 600px; max-height: 600px;" alt="İmage" title="Click Photo To Enlarge" />[/img]

Cheers
Thanks for the photos Pterodactyl, do you have a Staintune unit on your machine.
04-26-2014 08:12 PM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
Tyke57nz, G'day.

Yes, I fitted the Staintune last week. Staintune advise, in the fitting notes, that the actuator cable should be removed from the bike along with the OEM exhaust. The Staitune itself is not fitted with a valve. I haven't had it on the road yet as I am off riding for a short while. It may be another 3 - 6 weeks before I get out on the road.

Upon firing the bike up, in the shed, I was impressed by the sound effects. As most members on this forum have reported, not "hoon" loud but a clear, deeper note, just about what I was looking for. Staintune do claim a performance increase. This is immaterial to me, I can scare myself with the neddies that are already available. From what I gather, being at the best a "bush mechanic", the ECU receives no input regarding valve operation. In any case I may fit a PCV. When I am back on the road I will try to meet with VicsCB1100, who was the OP in the Smooth Power Everwhere thread, before coming to a PCV decision. The subject has probably been done to death but any other member input would be appreciated.

Cheers.
04-27-2014 01:12 AM
Tyke57nz Offline
1st Service Completed

NZ
(04-27-2014 01:12 AM)Pterodactyl Wrote:  Tyke57nz, G'day.

Yes, I fitted the Staintune last week. Staintune advise, in the fitting notes, that the actuator cable should be removed from the bike along with the OEM exhaust. The Staitune itself is not fitted with a valve. I haven't had it on the road yet as I am off riding for a short while. It may be another 3 - 6 weeks before I get out on the road.

Upon firing the bike up, in the shed, I was impressed by the sound effects. As most members on this forum have reported, not "hoon" loud but a clear, deeper note, just about what I was looking for. Staintune do claim a performance increase. This is immaterial to me, I can scare myself with the neddies that are already available. From what I gather, being at the best a "bush mechanic", the ECU receives no input regarding valve operation. In any case I may fit a PCV. When I am back on the road I will try to meet with VicsCB1100, who was the OP in the Smooth Power Everwhere thread, before coming to a PCV decision. The subject has probably been done to death but any other member input would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Thanks for that info, I had the side cover off and figured that it would be a case of removing the lower servo and hose from the upper servo unit on the side of the airbox and fitting a blanking cap. Good to hear that the noise is somewhat improved, did you run with the baffle in or out? Cheers
04-27-2014 03:52 AM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
(04-27-2014 03:52 AM)Tyke57nz Wrote:  
(04-27-2014 01:12 AM)Pterodactyl Wrote:  Tyke57nz, G'day.

Cheers.
Thanks for that info, I had the side cover off and figured that it would be a case of removing the lower servo and hose from the upper servo unit on the side of the airbox and fitting a blanking cap. Good to hear that the noise is somewhat improved, did you run with the baffle in or out? Cheers

No worries. I left the other (upper) components in place. The lower servo will still be active but, with the actuator cable removed, to no effect. Unless the Gurus on this forum (come on Red Mist et al) convince me otherwise, then thats how it will stay.

All baffles in the Staintune remain in place. I don't believe that the CB muffler has a removable sound restrictor.

Cheers
04-27-2014 04:50 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM