Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Then and now. Apache Junction et al.
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
Then and now. Apache Junction et al.
G'day all,

In a recent thread the poster, and I apologise for not searching but it's not really relevant, made a reference to Apache Junction. Now that name, to this rather naive Aussie, conjured up memories of a host of gun fighters, drifters, cowpunchers, black hats, white hats, saloons and their women. In short, a blast from the silver screens of my past. From Alan Ladd to Clint Eastwood they sure did keep me saving my pennies, pardner, for the next episode of that low budget but cliff hanging serial or the next gun powder fuelled block buster.

Then only yesterday I came across this. Move over Clint, this seats taken by the Wild One.
[IMG]http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/tonys_mail/imagejpg1_zps7995e809.jpg', '', 'toolbar=no');myWindow.focus();">[IMG]http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/tonys_mail/imagejpg1_zps7995e809.jpg" style="max-width: 600px; max-height: 600px;" alt="İmage" title="Click Photo To Enlarge" />[/img]

Now, time to leave dark fantasy of the cinema and walk, dazed, into the bright, harsh, and often shocking sunlight of reality. Does that café, or diner, or it's iteration still exist? Maybe it's now a Walmart car park, or even a KFC. Do men, dressed in double breasted Brando jackets astride CB1100s and looking dangerous, still lounge around outside that diner at Apache Junction? Well I will never know until I see the pics.

Cheers

WARNING: This post contains traces of that area of brilliant ideas that exists in an ill-defined zone between the first and second bottle of full bodied Hunter Valley Shiraz.

Just watching our evening news. For those of you living in Tornado land, I sincerely hope that you, your families and friends are all OK

Tony
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2014 01:41 AM by Pterodactyl.)
04-29-2014 06:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
RE: Then and now. Apache Junction et al.
(04-29-2014 06:49 PM)Pterodactyl Wrote:  G'day all,

In a recent thread the poster, and I apologise for not searching but it's not really relevant, made a reference to Apache Junction. Now that name, to this rather naive Aussie, conjured up memories of a host of gun fighters, drifters, cowpunchers, black hats, white hats, saloons and their women. In short, a blast from the silver screens of my past. From Alan Ladd to Clint Eastwood they sure did keep me saving my pennies, pardner, for the next episode of that low budget but cliff hanging serial or the next gun powder fuelled block buster.

Then only yesterday I came across this. Move over Clint, this seats taken by the Wild One.
[IMG]http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/tonys_mail/imagejpg1_zps7995e809.jpg', '', 'toolbar=no');myWindow.focus();">[IMG]http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/tonys_mail/imagejpg1_zps7995e809.jpg" style="max-width: 600px; max-height: 600px;" alt="İmage" title="Click Photo To Enlarge" />[/img]

Now, time to leave dark fantasy of the cinema and walk, dazed, into the bright, harsh, and often shocking sunlight of reality. Does that café, or diner, or it's iteration still exist? Maybe it's now a Walmart car park, or even a KFC. Do men, dressed in double breasted Brando jackets astride CB1100s and looking dangerous, still lounge around outside that diner at Apache Junction? Well I will never know until I see the pics.

Cheers

WARNING: This post contains traces of that area of brilliant ideas that exists in an ill-defined zone between the first and second bottle of full bodied Hunter Valley Shiraz.

Just watching our evening news. For those of you living in Tornado land, I sincerely hope that you, your families and friends are all OK

Tony

Cool old picture.

Don't know if this place in the photo still exits but the wife and I honeymooned in that area in 1979. Really beautiful desert mountains and Saguaro Cactus everywhere. Apache Junction is just east of Phoenix near the Superstition Mountains.

Some pics from 1979.

The tornado outbreak here in the southeast left many dead and millions in damage. The major storms missed my area for which I'm thankful. Our prayers for all those who were not so fortunate.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
04-30-2014 06:12 AM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Are those car tires on the bikes?

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
04-30-2014 09:54 AM
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
Apache Junction still exists, made a trip to AZ (Gold Canyon) a few years back and they still have some older building not sure if a saw that one.

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
04-30-2014 10:56 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(04-30-2014 09:54 AM)popgun Wrote:  Are those car tires on the bikes?

No old Harley tires looked like car tires..tall flat sides, all the tread in the middle.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
04-30-2014 11:14 AM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
redbirds, that is truly awesome country And I mean "awesome" in the true meaning of the word. Beautiful, but I have the sense that like some of the Australian outback with the change of seasons it would be very harsh and unforgiving.

ferret, I guessed the bikes would be Harleys but will stand corrected if someone with some bike identification skills says otherwise. In those days I suppose that the road network was a little rougher than now, particularly in more remote areas, and those tyres would have some advantages over modern slicks Smile. They are the sort of rubbers (easy Tortuga) that when punctured my Dad would stuff with dry grass to get home. Why not patch on the spot? Well he did mostly, but he had an old International timber jinker that ate tyres (and universal joints).

Thanks all, and cheers
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2014 03:40 PM by Pterodactyl.)
04-30-2014 03:39 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
Apache Junction is still there, but I don't recognize the building. Rather than being a haven for cowboys and gunfighters, or a hard core biker town, it's mostly a retirement community made up mostly of mobile home parks. It's one of those places where the name is much cooler than the actual town. Tongue

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
04-30-2014 06:56 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Ptero, not enough detail showing for me to say for sure..most likely Harleys but could be Indians I suppose. They are rigid frames which would put manufacturing before 1958.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
04-30-2014 07:10 PM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
(04-30-2014 06:56 PM)Flynrider Wrote:  Apache Junction is still there, but I don't recognize the building. Rather than being a haven for cowboys and gunfighters, or a hard core biker town, it's mostly a retirement community made up mostly of mobile home parks. It's one of those places where the name is much cooler than the actual town. Tongue

That's the way of the world, sigh! Maybe one or two of those retirees started out life like this:
[IMG]http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/tonys_mail/imagejpg1_zpsc8e731c0.jpg', '', 'toolbar=no');myWindow.focus();">[IMG]http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/tonys_mail/imagejpg1_zpsc8e731c0.jpg" style="max-width: 600px; max-height: 600px;" alt="İmage" title="Click Photo To Enlarge" />[/img]
That bikes got a little too much rake for me Smile

Cheers
04-30-2014 07:41 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition