Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Herky - Jerky Throttle Response
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
RE: Herky - Jerky Throttle Response
Strange, throttle response on mine is very linear, way better than the two fuel injected Triumphs I had and better than my wife's V-strom.

Could chain or throttle cable slack be a factor?

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
05-05-2014 12:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Scoobynut Offline
Running Like a Top

Dickinson, ND
Here's my reply from the older thread:

I've found that the throttle free play on almost all modern bikes is set very loose from the factory, so I tighten it up to almost, but not quite, zero play, so that as soon as the throttle is turned it meets resistance. If that play isn't reduced you have this 'dead zone' of turning the throttle very easily, and then sudden resistance that is hard to guage exactly where it begins. By tightening the play, you are much more in control of throttle engagement. It makes being smoother much easier IMO. Within a few miles you will be used to the earlier throttle engagement. This completely eliminated any jerkiness in my CB1100, and has worked great on my other bikes also. I believe it was Greg who mentioned in the other thread that a loose throttle won't cause this on a FI bike and that may be so, but I still think a tighter throttle is just easier to modulate and control than a loose one.

I should mention that the above is in combination with having your chain slack set within factory spec, with the caveat that the CB11 seems to be less jerky when set toward the tighter side of the factory spec.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2014 12:21 PM by Scoobynut.)
05-05-2014 12:16 PM
HondaJon Offline
Running Like a Top

Riverview FL
She's too lean from the factory. PC V makes a huge difference, even with stock exhaust.

2013 CB 1100:
Motogear Cat Free Titanium Header
TSR Air Funnel
Staintune Muffler
Power Commander V (running TSR map)
K&N air filter
Argas fork brace
Dart Flyscreen
K&H seat
Honda chrome grab bar
Baren Classic Mirrors

2008 Suzuki B-King:
Factory stock

2016 CRF 450X:
JD Jetting Needle - K&N Filter
05-05-2014 12:26 PM
lackskill Offline
Break-In Period

Colorado
Mine was due to chain slack being almost double spec on delivery... Once I adjusted it properly, it's as smooth as any modern injected bike I've been on.
05-05-2014 03:24 PM
Tortuga Offline
High Mileage

UK
(05-05-2014 03:24 PM)lackskill Wrote:  Mine was due to chain slack being almost double spec on delivery... Once I adjusted it properly, it's as smooth as any modern injected bike I've been on.

Where does Herky-jerky come from?
05-05-2014 03:32 PM
CB4ME Offline
Road Warrior

Maryland
(05-05-2014 03:32 PM)Tortuga Wrote:  Where does Herky-jerky come from?

Websters says the word is a reduplication of "Jerky", first used in 1957 (to describe......?????)

[size=xx-small]Accessories by: Agras, BabyFace, Chic Design, Daytona, Endurance, Force Design, Honda, K&H, K&N, Magic Racing, MotoGear, Moriwaki, Ohlins, PBI Sprockets, Posh, Power Commander, Ryujin, SP Takegawa, SP Tadao, SW Motech, TSR, U-Kanaya, WM, XAM Sprockets [/size]
05-05-2014 03:47 PM
lackskill Offline
Break-In Period

Colorado
(05-05-2014 03:32 PM)Tortuga Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 03:24 PM)lackskill Wrote:  Mine was due to chain slack being almost double spec on delivery... Once I adjusted it properly, it's as smooth as any modern injected bike I've been on.

chain slap. The slack in the chain will literally transition from top to bottom or vice versa depending on which throttle transition.

Think of it like pulling on a rope. If the rope has slack in it, you'll experience very little resistance followed by a sudden jerk. If the rope has no slack the resistance is linear and immediate.

The acceleration jerk is the transmission drive gear pulling on the chain and taking up the slack. The deceleration jerk is because of the final drive gear pulling on the chain and taking up the slack.
05-05-2014 04:23 PM
HikerToo Offline
Road Warrior

Delaware
You can tell the difference between drive train play, and RPM drops and surges...you can't fix what the PCV does by tightening a chain or throttle play, its different.
05-05-2014 04:28 PM
Tortuga Offline
High Mileage

UK
(05-05-2014 04:23 PM)lackskill Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 03:32 PM)Tortuga Wrote:  

chain slap. The slack in the chain will literally transition from top to bottom or vice versa depending on which throttle transition.

Think of it like pulling on a rope. If the rope has slack in it, you'll experience very little resistance followed by a sudden jerk. If the rope has no slack the resistance is linear and immediate.

The acceleration jerk is the transmission drive gear pulling on the chain and taking up the slack. The deceleration jerk is because of the final drive gear pulling on the chain and taking up the slack.

Ok, thanks I feel bad now, I wasted your time explaining the symptoms to me.

What I was asking is where the EXPRESSION 'Herky jerky' came from.
05-05-2014 04:30 PM
wayne van horn Offline
1st Service Completed

phoenix, az.
I think it came from watching a dance where the person was acting like a turkey. they called it the herky jerky turkey dance.
05-05-2014 04:45 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM