Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bell Vortex full face
OldF7Guy Offline
Running Like a Top

RE: Bell Vortex full face
(05-15-2014 06:25 PM)The ferret Wrote:  
(05-15-2014 03:22 PM)shdwghst457 Wrote:  I was going to recommend what I wear until I saw the price of the Vortex. Are Bells any good? I'd wear one on a bicycle, sure. Don't mean to make an unhelpful post but at <$200 how helpful can it be? Surely there's a reason Shoeis are >$500?

dot is dot and snell is snell.... if a helmet meets the requirements of the respective testing labs, it meets the requirements. Doesn't matter if it cost $50 or $500.

http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aPriceDiff

What's the difference between a $100 Snell certified helmet and a $400 Snell certified helmet?

While helmets are primarily a protective device, the true protective capabilities of a helmet, if needed will only come into play for about 2 to 4 milliseconds during the lifetime of the helmet. This leaves a lot of time for that helmet to be doing nothing more than sitting around on a user's head. Producing a product that meets the standards is not really very difficult. Producing a helmet that people will buy and wear, and will consistently meet the standards is significantly more difficult. The Snell Standards do not measure factors like comfort, ventilation, brand recognition or style, and only indirectly look at fit, weight, materials and workmanship. These are factors that frequently drive helmet cost.

Thanks for that link. I have a motorcycle superstore warehouse fairly close to me that has a ton of helmets in stock they will let you try on. So rather than take a chance buying online I think I am going to head up there sometime to check them out.

2003 Honda 750 Nighthawk
2013 Honda CB1100
05-15-2014 06:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CeeBeeMe Offline
1st Service Completed

NW Chicagoland
(05-15-2014 03:22 PM)shdwghst457 Wrote:  I was going to recommend what I wear until I saw the price of the Vortex. Are Bells any good? I'd wear one on a bicycle, sure. Don't mean to make an unhelpful post but at <$200 how helpful can it be? Surely there's a reason Shoeis are >$500?

dot is dot and snell is snell.... if a helmet meets the requirements of the respective testing labs, it meets the requirements. Doesn't matter if it cost $50 or $500.

What's the difference between a $100 Snell certified helmet and a $400 Snell certified helmet?

While helmets are primarily a protective device, the true protective capabilities of a helmet, if needed will only come into play for about 2 to 4 milliseconds during the lifetime of the helmet. This leaves a lot of time for that helmet to be doing nothing more than sitting around on a user's head. Producing a product that meets the standards is not really very difficult. Producing a helmet that people will buy and wear, and will consistently meet the standards is significantly more difficult. The Snell Standards do not measure factors like comfort, ventilation, brand recognition or style, and only indirectly look at fit, weight, materials and workmanship. These are factors that frequently drive helmet cost.
+1 on this.

helmet's goal is to protect rider's head -and that is most important. Everything else is second grade. So, first check if it is SNELL certified ( I think snell certification exceeds DOT). Then think about the price, color, ventilation and anything else.
There is no guarantee that $700 helmet will protect you better then $200. Depends on the circumstances of the accident. Get safe helmet and drive safely. Go with the good brand name being in business of making them for a long time. Hoping that the next time you buy helmet will be because your current one is old and needs to be replaced.
05-15-2014 07:05 PM
OldF7Guy Offline
Running Like a Top

(05-15-2014 07:05 PM)CeeBeeMe Wrote:  

+1 on this.

helmet's goal is to protect rider's head -and that is most important. Everything else is second grade. So, first check if it is SNELL certified ( I think snell certification exceeds DOT). Then think about the price, color, ventilation and anything else.
There is no guarantee that $700 helmet will protect you better then $200. Depends on the circumstances of the accident. Get safe helmet and drive safely. Go with the good brand name being in business of making them for a long time. Hoping that the next time you buy helmet will be because your current one is old and needs to be replaced.

Love this forum for the advice and general knowledge of motorcycling. Right now, I am leaning to a HJC Cl-17 Full face. I just gotta find one to put on my pumpkin to see how it fits. I know Ferret has about 26 HJC helmets and I really respect his opinion on things because he is kinda the old man of the sea to me with wisdom of such things like this. (disclaimer) I am slowly liking Hondas more and more but I am not drinking anywhere near the kool-aid he is on Honda. Big Grin Yet anyway!Thumbs Up My Night hawk may be changing me soon because I am loving this thing!

2003 Honda 750 Nighthawk
2013 Honda CB1100
05-17-2014 08:57 PM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Lol...don't forget I am also extremely che... Er frugal. HJC's can be bought quite economically. They are indeed nice helmets, but not as deluxe as some of the others. Ease of face shield replacement, cushiness of the lining, effectiveness of the venting, ability to adjust fit are all factors that go in to pricing helmets. HJC's are basic helmets. Look at the interior of a top of the line helmet and you will gasp at the plushness.

Helmets are like caskets..you can either wear a pine box or something that rivals the interior of a Rolls Royce. I'd say the HJC's are in the lower middle range of plushness. Not exactly the pine box, but not silk lined interior either.

As I said above though as far as protection... As far as shell and interior impact absorbtion material goes...if it meets the Snell spec, it meets the Snell spec regardless of price.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2014 04:02 AM by The ferret.)
05-18-2014 04:01 AM
Ridem32 Offline
Road Warrior

Mississippi
Bell Vortex full face
Bell has been around longer than most all other brands ! Maybe the oldest brand ever
05-18-2014 10:22 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
I'm a fan of HJC. Their top of the line helmet rivals many of the higher end helmets in weight and quietness. To me, if the HJC fits comfortably, it's a great value. Just make sure you like the fit.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
05-18-2014 12:24 PM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Motorcyclist magazine created quite a controversy about 9 or 10 years ago when they tested a variety of DOT and Snell approved helmets. Tests were made that simulated the impact of a helmet with test gear that equaled the average weight human had inside the helmet. Most of the DOT helmets surpassed the Snell helmets in the test that measured the actual impact force transferred through the helmet to the head. This was because the Snell standard called for a very high penetration resistance, important mainly for racing. The high penetration resistance meant that the Snell helmets were constructed using much harder shells that were unable to absorb impacts as well as the DOT helmets. Their top rated helmet for impact resistance if memory serves was one of the cheapest helmets in the test, a Fulmer.

I think any well designed helmet that passes the DOT or Snell test will give good impact protection for the wearer. The real cost difference is how well the helmet ventilates, fits, low weight, comfort, quality and appearance.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 12:29 PM by redbirds.)
05-22-2014 12:27 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
OldF7Guy, Bell helmets rate well on this independent British testing site.

For what it's worth, I wear spectacles so I was pretty interested in the Bell Revolver as I hoped I would be able to take it on and off without having to take my glasses off. When I tried it, I couldn't and ended up with a Shark Speed-R. I'm really happy with it, particularly as, having put it on, my glasses slide on really easily (they didn't with my old helmet) and it doesn't seem to pull my ear plugs out as I put it on.
05-22-2014 04:53 PM
OldF7Guy Offline
Running Like a Top

Being the cheapskate I am I have ended up getting a HJC-CL17 in white. I just got it today and was able to ride about 75 miles or so. No gripes really at all. Peripheral vision is much better than my old Shoei. That is a big plus to me. Ventilation is as good if not better. The noise level is better also but I would say its only average at best. Not terrible but not great either. I dont know the weight but I cant tell any difference.

This is a lot of bang for the buck helmet imo. I paid 125.99 at Revzilla with free shipping and no sales tax. The cheek pieces seem to really squeeze in on me really tight but it may be like working in a new pair of boots I dont know. I will report back later if I find something about it I really dont like but so far it seems to be fine. Just hard to get used to something new after 11 years with the same lid.

In defense of Shoei, My old lid was 11 years old and has held up well and served me well. Helmets have come a long way since then with features and so on.

2003 Honda 750 Nighthawk
2013 Honda CB1100
06-06-2014 09:06 PM
Tortuga Offline
High Mileage

UK
Glad you enjoy the new helmet. I went a bit mental and bought an Arai Tour X, an Arai Chaser V and two new Shoei XR1100s for me and my squeeze, all within about a year.

I now have enough helmetage to last me well into the end of this decade.

And before anyone comes back with any of this 'shitcan it after 5 years or you'll die of AIDS' nonsense, I've researched this matter thoroughly and it seems it's just marketing guff to get the sales turning over nicely.

A helmet worn every day for 10 hours in the heat of Texas by a motorcycle courier or instructor, and maybe placed on the ground carelessly to roll around and get bumped will probably be scrap in a year or two.

My cosseted and carefully stored lids worn infrequently in less than desert condition (GB) are hardly going to fall apart in that timescale.

------------------

Edited to add, Helmet threads, like oil threads are the root of all evil. Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2014 03:31 AM by Tortuga.)
06-07-2014 03:30 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Talk about dreaming of owning something . . .The ferret — 01:42 PM
Oh no, gone....I've ridden this bike. I . . .misterprofessionality — 01:40 PM