Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"Older" guys ride a CB1100
ride4now Offline
High Mileage

Florida / Georgia USA
RE: "Older" guys ride a CB1100
Gumby.... I'm 58 and am seconding just about everyone. I got into the game in the early '70's and my first road bike (second bike...) was a Kawasaki HI500, replaced a bit later by a KZ400. I always loved the CB750's and the Kawasaki Z1's... but could never afford them. When the 2013 came out, I jumped right in thinking this might be my only chance to experience an air cooled 4 cylinder UJM. But i, frankly, wished it had a few things that the new 2014 ultimately offered. So I recently traded the '13 for the DLX and couldn't be happier. I tend to 'buy and hold'... so I think I'll have this one in my stable for a long time. The ferret

‘22 BMW R1250 GSA
‘14 Honda CB1100 DLX
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
‘70 Kawasaki H1 500
05-16-2014 07:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
(05-16-2014 10:13 AM)Gumby 1100 Wrote:  How many other "mature" CB1100 owners out there purchased this bike because it harkens back to their youth? State your age if you dare Wink

I'm 52. I didn't buy this bike for a feeling of nostalgia. I started riding in 1980 when the bike to have was a standard UJM style. I loved the fact that they were "do it all" bikes. Great in town, perfect for day rides in the mountains, and if you were going far, add a windshield and some bags and you were good to go.

Over the years, that's the only kind of bike I owned. In the mid 80s, when bikes started morphing into more specialized Cruisers and Sport Bikes, I didn't follow the trend. The last bike I bought before the CB11 was a last generation CB750 in '96. I thought that would likely be the last bike I ever bought until the CB11 made it's appearance.

Rather than buying a bike that harkens back to my youth, I simply bought a newer version of all of the other bikes I've owned. I still do the same kind of riding I did back in the 80s, so this latest version of the "do it all" UJM is exactly what I need in a bike.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
05-16-2014 07:49 PM
DAC Offline
High Mileage

Central Ohio, USA
Actually, the bike I just sold, a VFR, was as much of a nostalgia buy as the CB. I was 20 when the first Interceptor came out and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I learned to ride on CBs and the Suzuki GS but the V45 Interceptor was a water cooled, V4 sportbike like nothing else that came before it. Bad timing though - I was a college kid and couldn't justify the $$.

When I was 45, I scored a sixth generation VFR and had a blast with it for 5 years. While it really stirred my soul, it was not the most comfortable thing to distance ride and eventually I began to look for alternatives.

In 2010, Honda once again brought out something that caught my eye. The CB. When it came here in 2013 it wasn't quite "there" yet for me. The '14 DLX closed the deal, though. I turn 51 this month and this bike is a keeper.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2014 08:21 PM by DAC.)
05-16-2014 08:20 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
64 in a couple days. 49 years of street riding experience. 29 street bikes by 8 different manufacturers. My favorite manufacturer....Honda, my favorite motorcycle style......Inline 4 cylinder 4 stroke liter sized UJM's.

The CB 1100 is the epitome of this style of bike manufactured by my favorite manufacturer

Need I say more? Celebrate

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
05-16-2014 08:47 PM
justarida Offline
Break-In Period

"Older" is a relative term. Since I look like someone poured the salt and pepper over my head I prefer well "seasoned"
I been lurking in the back ground here since I got my CB1100TM about a year or so ago and I'm not sure why I chose this thread for my first post.
Just struck a chord I suppose. I'm 52 and have been riding since I was about 6. I'm a member over on ADV Rider as well. In fact my plans were to buy a new Triumph triple 800 for some adventure style riding last spring but all that changed from the very moment the first photo of the CB popped up on my monitor. I just couldn't help myself. It's like Krispy Cream Donuts that call to me from the kitchen pantry I hear them and must obey. The next day I was on my way to the Honda dealer to place a deposit on the first one they got in. Still cant believe I did that. Without seeing, feeling, hearing the bike I just let go of the cold cash. Very unlike me. Anyhow I have zero regrets and am loving the bike more after each ride. So much so I have designated my own model number! CB1100TM The TM stands for Time Machine because from the moment I swing a leg over and pull the visor down its like a portal to another time opens. All of the crazy stuff that makes me feel like a dinosaur in this world at this time melts away and its the 70's again. Music I like, gas I can afford, cars I can work on, media that told both sides of the story at least sometime. Its fun going back even if its just for a little while. For me this bike at this time is exactly what fits me. Its what I needed and for that its worth its weight in gold. Well maybe gold at 1970's prices anyway Wink
05-19-2014 02:25 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
"Older" guys ride a CB1100
G'day and welcome, justarida. If you've been lurking, you must know the rules: pictures, please.
05-19-2014 02:54 PM
Papa Weeley Offline
High Mileage

SoCal
56 here, and just about the same story as most of the above!
Got my motorcycle license at 15 (you used to be able to do that here in CA). I lusted after that first CB750 - just loved that sound! - but, being only 12, ownership wasn't quite in the cards. During the next few years, school and college kept me in a string of used bikes, and I caught the cafe racer bug for a while, followed by a couple of decades of sportbikes, which all conspired to keep the CB out of my garage. In 2012 I bought the (mag-wheeled) Triumph Bonneville, which was such a refreshing, comfortable, low-key, fun bike to ride, and it took me back to the beloved "standards"/UJMs of my youth. A couple of months later I heard the first news of the CB1100 and couldn't believe it. The looks of the old and slightly newer CBs, combined with a whole dollop of CBX, all in a modern, dependable package were just too much for me. It took me a while to justify it, but I ultimately sold my Ducati and FZ1 and made room for the new CB about a month or so ago.
Very happy with the decision, and the farkling is already in full swing!

[color=#FFA500][i][color=#32CD32][color=#00BFFF]Ham and eggs - a day's work for a chicken, a life-altering experience for a pig.[/color][/color][/i][/color]
2013 CB1100 #056, with too danged many mods to list.
2015 Honda CB500x
05-19-2014 02:59 PM
shysue2 Offline
1st Service Completed

Phoenix, AZ
That was a great post, justarida. It made me smile, and I needed a smile right about now. Smile
05-19-2014 03:47 PM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
(05-19-2014 03:47 PM)shysue2 Wrote:  That was a great post, justarida. It made me smile, and I needed a smile right about now. Smile

I agree! Great post and I think it expresses the feelings of many of us.
I had never seen or heard one either, but I bought it anyway.
Absolutely no regrets.
It is a Time Machine.

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
05-19-2014 04:18 PM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
First time I saw the CB1100 was in Cycle World about 2009. It was love at first sight but I was convinced that it would never be imported to the US. When it was announced that it would be brought here I had just recently purchased a Moto Guzzi, bad timing on my part. Stroke of luck, the Jacksonville Honda dealer took on Moto Guzzi's line and was willing to make a good trade with me on the CB1100 he had. Have not been so happy with a bike since my '73 BMW. I love this bike. It looks like a motorcycle should look. Been riding nearly 50 years an I'm 66 and riding it I feel 26.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
05-19-2014 04:33 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM