Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Tire Options for our CB1100
Motogeezer1949 Offline
High Mileage

Winter Park Florida
RE: Tire Options for our CB1100
Ingo, both my fronts have feathered like you describe.
I raised the air pressure another 2 lbs. about 700 miles ago and the tire wear appears to be returning to normal.

The ferret Jim Lucia, aka Motogeezer 1949
2010 BMW R1200RT
2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRS ABS
Past: Cafe'd 2014 CB1100DLX.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 60th. Anniversary
06-17-2015 06:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JustPassinThru Offline
Running Like a Top

Montana
I'm interested in a different tire, too.

Had a scare today - someone pulled a cute move in traffic and I had to get on it. Tangent roadway and I didn't need to (and couldn't; traffic alongside) swerve; but I felt the rear slip out a little. Just a heavy toe locked up the rear.

Nothing wrong with the brake; it feels and sounds like it always does. The tire just lost adhesion with the road surface, which was dry concrete. If I'd been in a curve I'd be posting this from a hospital bed.

So...since it's too late to order the ABS model...I'd like a stickier rear tire.
06-17-2015 10:47 PM
ingobohn Offline
Running Like a Top

Germany
(06-17-2015 06:42 PM)Motogeezer1949 Wrote:  Ingo, both my fronts have feathered like you describe.
I raised the air pressure another 2 lbs. about 700 miles ago and the tire wear appears to be returning to normal.
Thanks for that hint, I will try it out.

(06-17-2015 03:28 AM)Wisedrum Wrote:  Same with mine.
No saw teeth in the long life of the original Bridgestone tires.

I may be wrong, but it has something to do with the way you drive and brake.Rolleyes

We discuss the same topic in the German CB Forum with different conclusions,
aren't we Ingo?.

Wisedrum
Right - and I can give the same answer to that like in the German forum: I did not had this issue with my former bike (Transalp) on 3 different front tires. And 2 days ago I accidentally found that CB1100 on a parking lot with BT tires and having the same issue. Wink
So I do not believe the only reason is my way of driving/breaking.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 12:59 AM by ingobohn.)
06-18-2015 12:57 AM
Wisedrum Offline
High Mileage

Germany
Maybe, Ingo, it's the different landscape we are driving in.
Mine is really flat, with some little hills involved. Whereas yours?
Mountain after mountain, curves over curves? I don't know.

I found out, that the shape of the streets plays a not to underrate role in the way the
kilometers form the tires.

But after all, your saw teeth are still a mystery in my eyes, because I haven't
experienced them 'til now.

The only thing I do, I keep away from a hard used front break as often as I can. Maybe this
will help with your problem.

Wisedrum
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 03:58 PM by Wisedrum.)
06-18-2015 03:54 PM
Motogeezer1949 Offline
High Mileage

Winter Park Florida
I have to say, on the one hand, I was happy to see others were having the feathering issue. With the first tire I thought maybe it was defective, but when the second tire started doing it, I was thinking maybe there was an alignment or a balance problem or some such. This shouldn't be happening on a bike engineered so well. Then I remembered years ago with an FZ1 I had a similar problem and an old, wizened, grizzly bike mechanic told me it was from running too low a pressure. I started running a couple more pounds and never had the issue again. So I did the same on the CB. I have about 850 more miles since I raised the air pressure and it appears the tire is slowly un-feathering itself. I don't have much longer on this tire and have a T-30 ready to go. I'm interested in trying out the more modern tread pattern. I'll run it at +2 from the get go and see what happens.

The ferret Jim Lucia, aka Motogeezer 1949
2010 BMW R1200RT
2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRS ABS
Past: Cafe'd 2014 CB1100DLX.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 60th. Anniversary
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2015 01:36 AM by Motogeezer1949.)
06-19-2015 01:35 AM
ingobohn Offline
Running Like a Top

Germany
(06-18-2015 03:54 PM)Wisedrum Wrote:  Maybe, Ingo, it's the different landscape we are driving in.
Mine is really flat, with some little hills involved. Whereas yours?
Mountain after mountain, curves over curves? I don't know.

I found out, that the shape of the streets plays a not to underrate role in the way the
kilometers form the tires.

But after all, your saw teeth are still a mystery in my eyes, because I haven't
experienced them 'til now.

The only thing I do, I keep away from a hard used front break as often as I can. Maybe this
will help with your problem.

Wisedrum
Well - I am born at the foot of the Black Forest, so I would say that it is flat where I actually live - meaning: close to Odenwald and Pfälzer Wald. Wink But compared to your location it is indeed full of hills and little mountains. And whenever I drive, I try to avoid flat and straight roads because these roads make no fun for me. Smile Sometimes I visit my parents at home and drive through the Black Forest hills/mountains. Last year when my first front tire showed that feathering, it was directly after a Alp mountain tour (5 days).

But again: I drove the same way and the same ways with my former bike (Transalp 700) and had never such issues.

(06-19-2015 01:35 AM)Motogeezer1949 Wrote:  I have to say, on the one hand, I was happy to see others were having the feathering issue. With the first tire I thought maybe it was defective, but when the second tire started doing it, I was thinking maybe there was an alignment or a balance problem or some such. This shouldn't be happening on a bike engineered so well. Then I remembered years ago with an FZ1 I had a similar problem and an old, wizened, grizzly bike mechanic told me it was from running too low a pressure. I started running a couple more pounds and never had the issue again. So I did the same on the CB. I have about 850 more miles since I raised the air pressure and it appears the tire is slowly un-feathering itself. I don't have much longer on this tire and have a T-30 ready to go. I'm interested in trying out the more modern tread pattern. I'll run it at +2 from the get go and see what happens.
Thanks for your hint! Thumbs Up
I normally drive with 2,5 bar (front) and 2,9 bar (rear), now I increased the front tire pressure to 2,8 bar. I will try and see how it works the next days and weeks.
Should I increase the rear tire pressure too?
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2015 02:14 AM by ingobohn.)
06-20-2015 02:11 AM
ingobohn Offline
Running Like a Top

Germany
Today I talked with my Honda dealer and arranged an appointment for the 12.000 km service. Additionally, I ordered a pair of tires too as the current Pirelli Sport Demon seem to break down much more quickly than at the beginning. Below 3 mm of profile left on the rear tire, so it would not last more than additional 1.000 km I guess.
I ordered the Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact (I also thought of taking the Bridgestone T30). Pair price 300 EUR.
07-14-2015 01:48 AM
glennrcompton Offline
Break-In Period

Northern California
Hi Everyone:

Quite a bit of great back and forth on this topic, but I'm hoping someone with experience can answer a couple of questions.

First, let me start by telling you that I've had my bike for around 200 days and I've got 1559 miles on it and now have a bad leak in the back tire that cut the pressure by 20 lbs in a day.

My bike came with the Dunlop D205's, but the dealer cannot locate a replacement, so they are recommending replacing both tires. Given the low miles, I'm struggling with this recommendation, so I'm looking for some advice.

1. Is there an available rear tire that closely matches the characteristics of the Dunlop D205?

If not, I'm likely going to switch and this forum has suggested both Bridgestone BT 45's and 54's ... I can get the 45's much faster than I can get the 54's, so I might have to go that route, but I'd first like to know ...

2. if anyone had tires other than Dunlop D205's for their original equipment?

and finally

3. ...any opinions on mismatching tires for a rider who might be a fast driver but not overly aggressive in the turns?

Thanks,
Glenn
02-23-2016 08:21 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
(02-23-2016 08:21 PM)glennrcompton Wrote:  I'd first like to know ...
Glenn, mine came with BT54's as original equipment. You can buy them on-line at Chaparral.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/product/...-0370.aspx
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/product/....aspx?sc=y

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
02-23-2016 09:33 PM
glennrcompton Offline
Break-In Period

Northern California
(02-23-2016 09:33 PM)LongRanger Wrote:  
(02-23-2016 08:21 PM)glennrcompton Wrote:  I'd first like to know ...
Glenn, mine came with BT54's as original equipment. You can buy them on-line at Chaparral.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/product/...-0370.aspx
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/product/....aspx?sc=y

Thanks Long Ranger ... that settles what I'm going to do if I have to buy a new set .... (I'm still hoping the local shops Dunlop rep can locate a stray Dunlop replacement).
02-23-2016 09:46 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
no kidding....that's just a picture too. . . .misterprofessionality — 07:34 AM
It's fun to read all these comments... . . .peterbaron — 07:18 AM