Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Tire Options for our CB1100
Bike #12 Offline
1st Service Completed

Boise
Tire Options for our CB1100
I see Bridgestone makes the BT-023 front tire in a 110/80x18 for our bike. I ran a set of BT-023's on my 2007 SV1000S. I liked them a lot.

I also noticed a new tire from Bridgestone, the T30...

T30 SPORT TOURING RADIAL REAR TIRE.

They offer a 160/60x18 size.

Now: 2013 Honda CB1100

Then: BMW XMoto, Suzuki SV1000S, Honda 919, BMW XChallenge, Honda FT500, Suzuki GS650E, Yamaha XT500, Kawasaki 500 H1, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki TM125, Suzuki TS100.
05-29-2014 07:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
RE: Tire Options for our CB1100
(05-29-2014 07:19 AM)Bike #12 Wrote:  I see Bridgestone makes the BT-023 front tire in a 110/80x18 for our bike. I ran a set of BT-023's on my 2007 SV1000S. I liked them a lot.

I also noticed a new tire from Bridgestone, the T30...

T30 SPORT TOURING RADIAL REAR TIRE.

They offer a 160/60x18 size.

They also make the front tire in the T30. They would be a good match for the CB. The rear size is fine , i just order a set of Michelin in the 160/60-18

http://www.bridgestone.com/corporate/new...21401.html

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
05-29-2014 07:32 AM
Bike #12 Offline
1st Service Completed

Boise
The T30 set looks like a great option for the CB1100. Thanks for the Bridgestone link. I was browsing at one of the online MC shops and didn't see the front T30 listed.

Now: 2013 Honda CB1100

Then: BMW XMoto, Suzuki SV1000S, Honda 919, BMW XChallenge, Honda FT500, Suzuki GS650E, Yamaha XT500, Kawasaki 500 H1, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki TM125, Suzuki TS100.
05-29-2014 08:22 AM
Red Mist Offline
Running Like a Top

USA
BT23, a radial for modern sport/touring motorcycles. They came as OEM on my FZ8. They are a good tire for sport/touring, with touring as the primary focus. They can handle a lot of weight but have a very stiff carcass. Bridgestones typically are quite stiff, as those who follow MotoGP will know. They take a long time to warm up and aren't especially compliant at high lean angles unless the pressure is set correctly and they are fully heated. Bridgestone is the spec tire for MotoGP, so all competitors must use them. My GSX-R had the BT016's OEM, same story, very stiff carcass, poor feel on the street, takes a long time to warm up, and will never warm up on the street at listed pressures.

Both those bikes are now fitted with Dunlop Q3's, a vastly superior tire in all respects. Not a good choice for the CB1100, though, which brings me to the point here.

The CB1100 is an old-school motorcycle that works best with a certain design and size of tire; modern, wide radials are not the right choice for it. Honda chose the 110 and 140 front/rear for the optimum handling and ride quality. A narrow tire provides very neutral handling, as well. The farther the contact patch is offset from the centerline of the motorcycle at lean, the less neutral will be the handling. Anyone who rides the modern machines (those with 120/70-17 front and 180/55-17 rear or larger) knows the handling is quite different from motorcycles with narrow wheels/tires like our CB1100, once the bike gets heeled past 20 degrees or so. The handling is much, much different nearer to maximum lean angle and requires a different riding technique from old-school machines. Bump steer in particular is markedly different, with a lot more of it being fed into the chassis with the modern sizes.

The chassis and suspension of modern bikes are designed to work with wider tires effectively but our CB1100 doesn't have these design features. It's optimized for old-school tires and narrow rims. This is something to keep in mind. Instinct says to us, "Well, let's find a new, modern tire to put on our CB1100", but in truth, today's tires which are made in sizes for our CB1100 are indeed modern in design; they just fit narrower rims. We can get radials or bias-ply tires that are a perfect match for the CB1100 from quite a few manufacturers, Bridgestone, Avon, and Continental coming quickly to mind.

Bridgestone does make tires for our bike, but the BT023 and similar types are not in that group. The 160/60-18 rear, according to Bridgestone's fitment chart, is designed to work best on a 4.50-5.00 inch rim. Our bike has a 4.00" rim, and the maximum size recommended for that rim is Bridgestone's own 150/70-18, which can be had in the BT45 bias-ply or (in European markets) the BT54 radial.

We can put on a wider tire but to what advantage? The contact patch is no larger, as it is determined only by the tire pressure and the weight of the motorcycle. With a larger width on a too-narrow rim, we move the contact patch outward more with increasing lean, where it's less compatible with the bike's design and changes the handling and performance of the motorcycle.

[i]Does anybody remember laughter?[/i]
-Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant ROFL
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 09:00 AM by Red Mist.)
05-29-2014 08:59 AM
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
(05-29-2014 08:59 AM)Red Mist Wrote:  BT23, a radial for modern sport/touring motorcycles. They came as OEM on my FZ8. They are a good tire for sport/touring, with touring as the primary focus. They can handle a lot of weight but have a very stiff carcass. Bridgestones typically are quite stiff, as those who follow MotoGP will know. They take a long time to warm up and aren't especially compliant at high lean angles unless the pressure is set correctly and they are fully heated. Bridgestone is the spec tire for MotoGP, so all competitors must use them. My GSX-R had the BT016's OEM, same story, very stiff carcass, poor feel on the street, takes a long time to warm up, and will never warm up on the street at listed pressures.

Both those bikes are now fitted with Dunlop Q3's, a vastly superior tire in all respects. Not a good choice for the CB1100, though, which brings me to the point here.

The CB1100 is an old-school motorcycle that works best with a certain design and size of tire; modern, wide radials are not the right choice for it. Honda chose the 110 and 140 front/rear for the optimum handling and ride quality. A narrow tire provides very neutral handling, as well. The farther the contact patch is offset from the centerline of the motorcycle at lean, the less neutral will be the handling. Anyone who rides the modern machines (those with 120/70-17 front and 180/55-17 rear or larger) knows the handling is quite different from motorcycles with narrow wheels/tires like our CB1100, once the bike gets heeled past 20 degrees or so. The handling is much, much different nearer to maximum lean angle and requires a different riding technique from old-school machines. Bump steer in particular is markedly different, with a lot more of it being fed into the chassis with the modern sizes.

The chassis and suspension of modern bikes are designed to work with wider tires effectively but our CB1100 doesn't have these design features. It's optimized for old-school tires and narrow rims. This is something to keep in mind. Instinct says to us, "Well, let's find a new, modern tire to put on our CB1100", but in truth, today's tires which are made in sizes for our CB1100 are indeed modern in design; they just fit narrower rims. We can get radials or bias-ply tires that are a perfect match for the CB1100 from quite a few manufacturers, Bridgestone, Avon, and Continental coming quickly to mind.

Bridgestone does make tires for our bike, but the BT023 and similar types are not in that group. The 160/60-18 rear, according to Bridgestone's fitment chart, is designed to work best on a 4.50-5.00 inch rim. Our bike has a 4.00" rim, and the maximum size recommended for that rim is Bridgestone's own 150/70-18, which can be had in the BT45 bias-ply or (in European markets) the BT54 radial.

We can put on a wider tire but to what advantage? The contact patch is no larger, as it is determined only by the tire pressure and the weight of the motorcycle. With a larger width on a too-narrow rim, we move the contact patch outward more with increasing lean, where it's less compatible with the bike's design and changes the handling and performance of the motorcycle.

I have to respectfully disagree. The old school cradle design frame is run on the ZRX1200 which i recently sold. It was running 17" rims and full on sport tires. Although the bike didn't handle that well it was much better with a pair of pilot powers on it. The CB has a more rigid frame and lower center of gravity the the ZRX. The rear rim is 4.25 not 4" ( i have measured it)which is within the limits of a 160 rear. We don't know for sure unless we experiment. I will have a full honest review in a couple of weeks.

I personally do not like Bridgstone tires, i had mine switched out to Michelin on my CB1000RR at 500 mi.

In the north there seems to be more and more liquid tar being put on the cracks of roads. When your grooving a line and hit these with the CB its scary as hell. You either have to slow down or run wide to decrease the risk of sliding outside. I'm hoping a tackier tire will minimize the effect.

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
05-29-2014 09:31 AM
Red Mist Offline
Running Like a Top

USA
(05-29-2014 09:31 AM)CIP57 Wrote:  I have to respectfully disagree. The old school cradle design frame is run on the ZRX1200 which i recently sold. It was running 17" rims and full on sport tires. Although the bike didn't handle that well it was much better with a pair of pilot powers on it. The CB has a more rigid frame and lower center of gravity the the ZRX. The rear rim is 4.25 not 4" ( i have measured it)which is within the limits of a 160 rear. We don't know for sure unless we experiment. I will have a full honest review in a couple of weeks.
Clearly embossed on the spokes of the CB1100's rear wheel are the markings: "18MC x MT4.00".

That's a 4.00" wheel, measured according to DOT specifications. The manufacturer's recommendations are based on the DOT method of measuring the wheel and the wheel size must be clearly marked on the wheel itself.

We don't need to experiment but we often want to. Motorcycle engineering is a highly-advanced technology and it is now well beyond what any ordinary rider can command or exceed. Because of this the manufacturers can provide exactly the right equipment to allow us to ride safely and still reach our own personal limits.

If anyone here can drag his/her elbow whilst riding the CB1100, please post images; the GSX-R 750 can be ridden at elbow dragging speeds by an expert rider on DOT tires (not I, for whom knee sliders must suffice) and it's a street-legal motorcycle. The CB1100's capabilities are not even remotely close to the GSX-R's, which shows us the gigantic margin for safety that today's equipment provides.

Personally, I say if someone wants to experiment with the limits of what a motorcycle can do, take up track days or road racing. Grinding down a knee slider can do wonders for one's self-confidence, and it can be done with OEM-spec tires these days.

[i]Does anybody remember laughter?[/i]
-Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant ROFL
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 09:57 AM by Red Mist.)
05-29-2014 09:56 AM
DAC Offline
High Mileage

Central Ohio, USA
When they're done, I'll replace my Bridgestone BT54s with .. wait for it .. BT54s. I'm coming up on 1,000 miles on the CB and these are working just fine.

If you want "maximum lean angle" and a "large contact patch", you may be on the wrong bike. Michelin makes great tires but I haven't found anything they make that fits the CB well - yet.

And certain hazards, like tar snakes and gravel, will be a problem regardless of tire choice. They tar the roads like crazy in Ohio and my VFR slid horribly on those - maximum pucker factor. The viffer was also wearing Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires, which are great sport touring shoes.

Finally, the BT54s are not readily available, I'm finding. It will be awhile before I need to buy any, but sportbiketrackgear.com is the only place I have found both front and rear in stock. But I haven't searched that far and wide. It's surprising that the bigger web outlets like bikebandit and motorcycle-superstore don't stock these - or at least don't stock both front and rears.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 11:24 AM by DAC.)
05-29-2014 10:09 AM
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
(05-29-2014 09:56 AM)Red Mist Wrote:  
(05-29-2014 09:31 AM)CIP57 Wrote:  I have to respectfully disagree. The old school cradle design frame is run on the ZRX1200 which i recently sold. It was running 17" rims and full on sport tires. Although the bike didn't handle that well it was much better with a pair of pilot powers on it. The CB has a more rigid frame and lower center of gravity the the ZRX. The rear rim is 4.25 not 4" ( i have measured it)which is within the limits of a 160 rear. We don't know for sure unless we experiment. I will have a full honest review in a couple of weeks.
Clearly embossed on the spokes of the CB1100's rear wheel are the markings: "18MC x MT4.00".

That's a 4.00" wheel, measured according to DOT specifications. The manufacturer's recommendations are based on the DOT method of measuring the wheel and the wheel size must be clearly marked on the wheel itself.

We don't need to experiment but we often want to. Motorcycle engineering is a highly-advanced technology and it is now well beyond what any ordinary rider can command or exceed. Because of this the manufacturers can provide exactly the right equipment to allow us to ride safely and still reach our own personal limits.

If anyone here can drag his/her elbow whilst riding the CB1100, please post images; the GSX-R 750 can be ridden at elbow dragging speeds by an expert rider on DOT tires (not I, for whom knee sliders must suffice) and it's a street-legal motorcycle. The CB1100's capabilities are not even remotely close to the GSX-R's, which shows us the gigantic margin for safety that today's equipment provides.

Personally, I say if someone wants to experiment with the limits of what a motorcycle can do, take up track days or road racing. Grinding down a knee slider can do wonders for one's self-confidence, and it can be done with OEM-spec tires these days.
Red,

My apologizes, You are correct about the DOT 4" Rim, according to specification the 160-60-18 will run on a 3.5 to 5.0" rim with standard being 4.5"

I appreciate your comments, I have very limited track time (50+ sessions) at the novice/intermediate level on my 2011 GSX-R750 L2 and my CBR1000RR but enjoy the sport. There is always someone we can learn from if we keep in open mind. I appreciate your comments.

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
05-29-2014 11:07 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
If my knee ever hits the ground while riding any motorcycle, someone please call for an ambulance as I have just gone down.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
05-29-2014 11:58 AM
HikerToo Offline
Road Warrior

Delaware
I found the stock Bridgestones at Chaparral Motorsports last fall.
Free shipping

110/80R 18 BRIDGESTONE BT54 CB
Item# 330-0370 $99.88 USD
140/70R 18 BRDGESTONE BT54 CB1
Item# 330-0371 $129.88 USD
05-29-2014 12:17 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts