Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Quietest Modular Helmet?
Gumby 1100 Offline
Running Like a Top

Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Quietest Modular Helmet?
I know that this a rather "subjective" subject, but I was hoping for some comments on what you feel is the quietest helmet. I have a new Street Shield EX (yet uninstalled), but I would rather keep the naked look of the CB1100 intact as long as possible.

I'm considering the new Scorpion EXO-900, but don't want to spend the money if it won't be any quieter than my HJC-IS33.

I cannot get my head into any full-face helmets that I have tried, and most 2XL are still pretty tight, but at least the EXO-900 didn't seem too oppressive or claustrophobic.

So, please throw your comments into the ring for the quietest Modular Helmet, riding without and with a windscreen.

Thanks in advance!

2014 CB1100A (Canadian) #068 (Sold)
2018 Harley-Davidson Road King
05-30-2014 11:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
RE: Quietest Modular Helmet?
Rider magazine did a recent article on modular helmets. Top performer for quiet and weight was the Schuberth with the HJC RPHA a close second. I tried on a Schuberth at a bike show and it was very quiet and it will be my next helmet. Tried on the HJC also but it's inner contour does not fit my oval shaped head.

Competition Accessories has the Schuberth listed for $566 and the HJC at $459.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
05-30-2014 11:56 AM
Papa Weeley Offline
High Mileage

SoCal
A couple of years ago I was in the market, and finally whittled down my list to the Shoei NeoTec and the Schubert (C3?).
Due to an amazing sale at my local M/C superstore, I ended up going with the Shoei. Absolutely amazing, very quiet, high quality helmet. Can't say enough good about it. The smoked inner shield that drops down is a big plus, too (I was told that that model is the only one on the market that didn't cut into the structure of the helmet to add the shield, by the way).
Another member of the Triumph forum and I were exchanging info at the time, since we were both looking at the exact same two helmets - he ended up with the Schubert, a high end German model. Oddly enough, he ended up hating it - it had an annoying whistle, fogged badly even with the PinLok, and parts started falling off of it! Obviously, he wasn't too happy, after what he'd paid for it. Everybody was surprised, to say the least...although I want to make clear that I have no personal experience with them riding, just passing on what was stated in that forum.
Anyway, I'd highly recommend the NeoTec. They're a little pricier than most of the other models, but check Chaparral Motorsports - they often run sales, and depending on colour, it might put the price in the ballpark with the others.
Best of luck!

[color=#FFA500][i][color=#32CD32][color=#00BFFF]Ham and eggs - a day's work for a chicken, a life-altering experience for a pig.[/color][/color][/i][/color]
2013 CB1100 #056, with too danged many mods to list.
2015 Honda CB500x
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 12:57 PM by Papa Weeley.)
05-30-2014 12:23 PM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
(05-30-2014 11:56 AM)redbirds Wrote:  Rider magazine did a recent article on modular helmets. Top performer for quiet and weight was the Schuberth with the HJC RPHA a close second. I tried on a Schuberth at a bike show and it was very quiet and it will be my next helmet. Tried on the HJC also but it's inner contour does not fit my oval shaped head.

Competition Accessories has the Schuberth listed for $566 and the HJC at $459.

This is what I was going to suggest; read the Rider results.
The June 2014 issue of Rider has the reviews on about a dozen modular helmets.
I've had three HJC modular's and still have a Nolan modular. I like them all, but I wear earplugs anyway if I'm going any distance at high sustained speeds.
I'm thinking of getting the HJC RPHA.

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 12:25 PM by Rocky.)
05-30-2014 12:24 PM
The Spaceman Offline
Road Warrior

First Amendment Street
Nolan N-104. Quiet, outstanding ventilation, easily removable liner for washing, huge eyeport, lockable in the open position, drop-down sun visor. My 102 and 103 both lasted for years. They aren't half the price of the Shoei or Schubert, but they're a lot less. I've compared Nolan to both other brands side by side and if I'm honest, I'd pick the Nolan even if it were the same price. Mostly because I like the liner material better, but the larger eyeport would be reason 2.

Go hagofuku yourself.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 12:28 PM by The Spaceman.)
05-30-2014 12:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dBuster Offline
Running Like a Top

La Crosse, WI
Re: Quietest Modular Helmet?
I have a hjc SyMax 3 modular helmet and with the street shield ex stock, unmodified, I was experiencing more noise and wind buffeting issues at the helmet to the point it was tiring.

With the bike naked the hjc wasn't totally quiet but was bearable on long runs over 70mph.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

05-30-2014 12:27 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I think Motorcyclegear.com has the RHPA's on sale right now..let em take a looksee

How does $339 sound?

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/clo...elmet.html

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
05-30-2014 12:29 PM
Firstfour Offline
1st Service Completed

St. Augustine, FL
(05-30-2014 12:29 PM)The ferret Wrote:  I think Motorcyclegear.com has the RHPA's on sale right now..let em take a looksee

How does $339 sound?

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/clo...elmet.html

I'm not sure that one is modular...

I'm also interested in this subject, due to having a Bell Revolver that is LOUD. But obviously, earplugs are a lot cheaper than a whole new helmet.
05-30-2014 01:04 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Is there an RPHA modular and an RPHA non modular? I just remembered receiving the email notice that they had some RHPA's on sale.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
05-30-2014 01:06 PM
Ack-CB11 Offline
High Mileage

Nantucket
I love my Shoei Neotec. Good sound isolation with very little wind noise.
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/neotec/

Nantucket Dirt Rider:
2006 BMW HP2 #206
2008 Service Honda CR500AF
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 01:09 PM by Ack-CB11.)
05-30-2014 01:07 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM