Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Front & Rear Tire Change
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
Front & Rear Tire Change
I took some notes while changing out my tires. Left and right orientation is from sitting on the bike. Thought this may be helpful for those without a shop manual.

Support bike on center stand. Loosen rear axle bolt 1 1/4 socket ( no need for metric over 1 inch) Turn both adjusting bolts in and loosen the chain. Pull the axle out and derail the chain. Remove the collars from both sides (the left collar is larger than the right) Pull the sprocket off and remove the wheel damper rubber remember orientation)
Front tire
A front stand is recommend and makes the job much safer and easier.
Remove the calipers mounting bolts (don't scratch your rims) and use something to tie them up so they don't hang i used mason line ( careful not to touch your rear or front brake lever while the calipers are off) Loosen the the right axle pinch bolts and remove the axle bolt 22MM socket, ( you will need to make up something to hold the left side of the axle, i used a 10MM bolt with two nylon nuts) put the bike on jack stand loosen the left axle pinch bolts and remove the the axle. ( catch the axle nut with a few threads and and push the axle gentle so you can grab it and pull it out the left side)remove the left and right side collars again these are different sizes so remember orientation. Get tires mounted

Front install
Install the left and right collars (Grease the collars and axle) Raise the wheel and install the front axle, lower the front wheel to the ground and and tighten axle bolt to 44 lbf-ft tighten the right pinch bolts to 19 lbs Install the brake calibers (inspect the bolts, i installed my original they where fine, its recommended that you use new ones) and torque to 23 lbs Remember at this point you have not tighten your left pinch bolts (this will be done after your rear tire is mounted)
Rear Tire
Put your sprocket and wheel damper rubber back together, Grease the right and left collars (remember orientation there different sizes) and rear axle. ( its easier with two people here) Set your rear caliper in the guides Install the drive chain onto sprocket lift the wheel and install your rear axle. Install the washer and your rear axle nut adjust the drive chain and tighten the axle nut to 83 lbf-ft

Not done yet
Take the bike off center stand and compress the front shocks to seat the axle, and tighten the left pinch bolts to 19 lbf-ft

Hope this is helpful

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 07:52 AM by CIP57.)
06-01-2014 06:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Spaceman Offline
Road Warrior

First Amendment Street
RE: Front & Rear Tire Change
Nice write-up. I've pulled the rear but not the front. Do you think it can be done without a fork stand?

Go hagofuku yourself.
06-02-2014 05:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
Good write-up.

Cheers
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2014 05:47 AM by Pterodactyl.)
06-02-2014 05:46 AM
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
(06-02-2014 05:40 AM)The Spaceman Wrote:  Nice write-up. I've pulled the rear but not the front. Do you think it can be done without a fork stand?

Yes, but be careful. You can lift it from the frame with some blocks of wood. Have someone push down on the rear of the seat and place them under the frame.

(06-02-2014 05:46 AM)Pterodactyl Wrote:  Good write-up.

Cheers

Thanks, glad your back on your bike.

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2014 05:52 AM by CIP57.)
06-02-2014 05:48 AM
The Spaceman Offline
Road Warrior

First Amendment Street
I used to get the front wheel of the DL1000 up by putting the swingarm stand on the back and then putting a jack under the engine and lifting it. It was pretty darn stable and I could get more than enough room to drop the front wheel. I don't think that's going to work with the CB. Maybe I'll just buy a fork stand; Cycle Gear has them for $60/$70 IIRC.

Go hagofuku yourself.
06-02-2014 10:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
(06-02-2014 10:14 AM)The Spaceman Wrote:  I used to get the front wheel of the DL1000 up by putting the swingarm stand on the back and then putting a jack under the engine and lifting it. It was pretty darn stable and I could get more than enough room to drop the front wheel. I don't think that's going to work with the CB. Maybe I'll just buy a fork stand; Cycle Gear has them for $60/$70 IIRC.

I could not get my scissor (frame) jack under the CB with the exhaust. The front jack stand works better, there's no front end movement when your working.

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
06-02-2014 11:15 AM
Randy B Offline
Road Warrior

Palm Bay FL
If you have the factory spark plug tool it it also designed for pulling the front axle out.
06-02-2014 11:33 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Older BMW's had a very clever center stand that balanced the bike's weight with a slight bias to the front. If you removed the front wheel the bike would rest on the rear wheel and on the front with the rear removed. I wish every center stand worked this way as it made any type of work that required wheel removal so easy.

I have a small scissor jack, about 4" high at it's lowest point. I hope this with a wood block will do for elevating the front end.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
06-02-2014 12:48 PM
HikerToo Offline
Road Warrior

Delaware
For the front caliper removal, does anyone know what type and size driver is required? Is that just like a torx 35 or something....
wanted to take my front wheel in for tire change and ran into that....
04-22-2016 02:56 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I dont recall needing any special tools to remove the front wheel??

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
04-22-2016 03:10 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974