[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ABS: Good, or Bad?
shdwghst457 Offline
Running Like a Top

San Antonio, TX
On Pterodactyl's recommendation, the brakes needed an oil-preference type thread.

So in your opinion and experience, do you prefer or loathe ABS brakes? Options for linked and unlinked ABS included in the poll. Be sure to include your reasoning!

Voting non-ABS; I like being in control! Especially as a newer rider, I'd rather have non-ABS brakes for the same reason I don't want a fancy dual clutch semi auto transmission; when I decided I wanted to ride, I wanted to be able to ride anything, and not rely on it having some fancy tech to make things "easier"

'14 - #102052
'13 - #000955 (sold)
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2014 08:23 AM by shdwghst457.)
06-02-2014 08:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
RE: ABS: Good, or Bad?
I prefer non abs, I don't like my brakes to react together in any combination.

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
06-02-2014 08:34 AM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
The CB is the first bike I've ever owned with ABS - linked or otherwise.
I voted for linked ABS since the CB has them and I have to live with them regardless.
I only have 600 km's on the CB and find the brakes fine. I haven't been in any situation where I've needed to make an emergency or panic stop, so until that happens I'll be content with what I have. I have no reason to love or hate them. Right now they're just brakes - and good ones at that!
As time goes by I may have a different view.

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
06-02-2014 08:44 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
ABS will stop the bike faster. It is, therefore, inherently "good". Some riders my not like ABS and some (like me) could not afford the ABS version, but it is superior to non-abs in its sole task of stopping the bike with the rider still on it.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
06-02-2014 08:47 AM
grover Offline
Running Like a Top

Dallas, TX
(06-02-2014 08:47 AM)EmptySea Wrote:  ABS will stop the bike faster. It is, therefore, inherently "good". Some riders my not like ABS and some (like me) could not afford the ABS version, but it is superior to non-abs in its sole task of stopping the bike with the rider still on it.

ABS will stop the bike faster for MOST riders. ABS works by pumping the piston calipers at a high frequency at the maximum force that will not cause lock up, rather than mashing the caliper and causing the brakes to lock up, thus reducing overall braking effectiveness.

That being said, a non-ABS rider that is applying maximum braking force without causing a lock up will stop faster than an ABS rider that grabs the brake in panic, as maximum braking force can be applied throughout the maneuver rather than intermittently via ABS. Of course, this is very difficult to do and thus ABS is largely designed to account for panicked "grabs" of the brake. So under IDEAL conditions, a non-ABS bike can out-brake an ABS bike...

grover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2014 09:08 AM by grover.)
06-02-2014 09:03 AM
Ridem32 Offline
Road Warrior

Mississippi
+1 Grover. I prefer non ABS. But had to get it because of the deluxe! As far as my wife and kids riding a bike I would want them to have ABS. But as far as me with 40 plus years of riding I want to be in full control. Anyone with a 14 deluxe stand up on the rear brake at 60mph. Don't worry just do it. Your front brake want kick in. And just see how long and slow the rear brake stops! It's scary slow! As I have said before the front brake is great. But you can't do a stoppie!
06-02-2014 09:12 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Since the ABS system only activates on brake lock and since the theoretic rider who could stop faster without ABS would not lock the brakes in the first place, would it not be true that having the ABS would still be preferred just in case the stopping conditions were not idea and/or the skilled rider made a slight mistake in his technique?

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
06-02-2014 09:50 AM
Ridem32 Offline
Road Warrior

Mississippi
ES. When a person can control the brake they can stop faster than ABS. You can even look at the charts for ABS vs non ABS the non ABS stops in less distance. I agree for a new rider ABS might be safer as far as not flipping over the handle bars etc. But I think and this is just me I feel safer on a non ABS MODEL. Did you know that a good marksman can shoot a pump shotgun faster than a semiauto shotgun! Any rider that has rode bikes for years has more control with out ABS brakes. Using just the rear brake on my deluxe I can stop faster using the just the rear brake on my 78 750four. And it's drum rear brake but it can still lock up the rear tire! Yes the petal takes more force to push but it still stops quicker than 14 deluxe using just rear brakes on both bikes
06-02-2014 10:02 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
I don't think I stated my question clearly... If a rider who can stop his bike faster without using ABS is riding a bike with ABS, can he still stop the bike as fast as on a non-ABS equipped bike? If so, isn't it still better to have the ABS equipped bike than not?

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
06-02-2014 10:13 AM
shdwghst457 Offline
Running Like a Top

San Antonio, TX
Anyone a fan of engine braking?

'14 - #102052
'13 - #000955 (sold)
06-02-2014 10:14 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,752

Full Statistics

>