Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
How To install Fork Boots aka Gaiters
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
How To install Fork Boots aka Gaiters
Nothing says retro like a pair of rubber gaiters on the forks of your ride. (except for RLETs on a CB Honda lol). Look at the pictures of an original CB 750 and you will see them covering the fork tubes and protecting the fork seals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB750

I had put a set of gaiters from an early Kawasaki W 650 retro on the forks of my Triumph T100 and they have held up perfectly over the last 11 years,. The Honda takes the exact same size (41 mm) so I ordered a set from my local Kwacker dealer. Man, have they gone up in price. Cheaper boots are available, but I really like the quality of the Kaw units so I bit the bullet and got them. (Hard for a tight wad like me..I must have really wanted them)

Kaw Part Numbers:
49006-1335 (boots) x 2

anyhow the procedure for install is pretty straight forward and takes about an hour. Lets go thru it. Because there will be more than 10 pictures I may have to wait until someone responds to post the final steps)

Here's a before picture for reference...

Ok, first we have to suspend the front end. so pop the bike on the centerstand. Since we were using a Harbor freight bike lift, we removed the seat and used tie down to anchor the back end thereby raising the front end. (You could also use a board and jack under the motor)

There you go, plenty of clearance now

Using a 12 mm socket remove the bolts holding the brake calipers to the fork tubes and slide them off the discs. Use a bungee cord to suspend them, don't let them hang by their hydraulic lines

As a precaution it is a good idea to stick a wedge of cardboard like this between each set of brake pads to prevent someone from accidentally squeezing the brake lever and popping out the pistons and pads

Using a 5 mm allen also remove the two hydraulic line clamps that are bolted to the front fender as we will be removing the fender later.

Using an 8 mm socket you will also remove the ABS sensor unit from the fork leg (there are 3 bolts holding it on)

with a 6 mm allen loosen the pinch bolts on the r/h side, then using a 22 mm socket remove the axle nut on the rh side

then using your 6 mm allen loosen the pinch nuts on the lh side

from the r/h side push the axle out and while holding the wheel up, remove it from the lh side of the bike and set it aside. Now you can slide the front wheel out from between the forks. Set it aside.

Now you will want to remove the front fender, 4 allen screws hold it on I believe 5 mm and slide it out the front and set it aside

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 04:30 AM by The ferret.)
06-18-2014 06:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Elipten Offline
Road Warrior

San Antonio, TX
Installing Fork Boots aka Gaiters
Great instruction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current inventory

2014 CB1100 DLX
1990 BMW K75RT
06-18-2014 10:57 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Installing Fork Boots aka Gaiters
Good someone posted now I can finish

Now you have to remove one of the fork legs. The fork tube runs up through the lower and upper triple trees. Top one takes a 12 mm socket the bottom one a 14 mm socket. When loosening the bolts be sure and hang onto the fork leg because when you loosen the bolts the fork leg will slide down. Once both bolts are loose, gently twist back and forth until the tube pulls free

Slide the rubber fork boot, big end first, down over the tube and work it down until you can put the larger lip over the lower fork leg. Make sure the holes in the fork boot are in the rear. Then slide the fork tube back up thru the triple trees until you have the same amount sticking above the top tree as on the side you have not removed yet. Lightly tighten both pinch bolts to hold that tube in place, bottom one first.

Repeat procedure on the other fork leg. sliding it up thru the top tree the same amount as on the one you previously did. Verify both tubes are sticking above the top tree and equal amount, and that the fork adjustment screws on top of the trees are oriented the same. Lightly tighten pinch bolts in place, bottom one first. Should now look like this.

Go ahead and tighten lower tree bolts first to spec, then upper tree bolts.

ok going from memory here, for reassembly, reinstall front fender (4 allen screws) and brackets for hydraulic lines (2 allen screws). Reinstall abs sensor unit ( 3 bolts). Reinstall front wheel, with axle, axle nut, and brake calipers. Tighten axle pinch bolts on r/h side and axle nut. Look and make sure everything is hooked up right.

Lower wheel to ground. Squeeze front brake a couple time until you feel pressure. Then hold front brake and pump front forks up and down a few times. Then tighten l/h side axle pinch bolts.

That's it, you are done. Cool huh?

After picture

Some torque specs

Axle nut 44 ft lbs
axle pinch bolts 19 ft lbs
caliper bolts 23 ft lbs
bottom triple tree bolts 32 ft lbs
top triple tree bolts 17 ft lbs.

if anyone sees an error in this procedure or in the specs, please let me know.

Defender of the Realm
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2016 07:48 AM by The ferret.)
06-18-2014 11:36 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Well done Mickey. Thanks!

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
06-18-2014 12:20 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Excellent Ferret, and the boots look like they should always have been there.

Nothing to do with boots but I've found that, if you have more than 10 pictures to post, you can make consecutive posts; you just can never edit them as the BB software thinks they're the same one.
06-19-2014 01:28 AM
VTR1000F Offline
1st Service Completed

Czech republic
Excelent instructions. Now I´m rushing to install mine gaiters which are resting for few weeks on my shop table..thank you so much for taking your time writing this!
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2014 01:57 AM by VTR1000F.)
06-19-2014 01:57 AM
Rick Froscheiser Offline
High Mileage

Tooele, Ut USA
Very good instructions and pictures. I cheated and put blue masking tape on the fork tube up against the lower triple tree. That way I got the fork tube back to original settings.
Thanks for taking the time to put this together and sharing with us.

2013 CB1100
HD 45 Flathead
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2014 07:13 AM by Rick Froscheiser.)
06-19-2014 07:12 AM
The Spaceman Offline
Road Warrior

First Amendment Street
Can you push the rubbers up and down to see the tubes they cover? Are the holes you mentioned big enough to vent moisture? With the recent posts on corrosion it might be a good idea to check them occasionally.

Go hagofuku yourself.
06-19-2014 07:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Spaceman they are just snug fit top and bottom, but pretty tight fit. I didn't use any wire ties at all, so yes they could be shoved up enough to inspect fork seals or down enough to inspect triple tree. Holes are pretty small, I think 4 of them on each boot. they would vent some air and moisture. Enough? We shall see. These are factory boots for a Kawasaki so I wouldn't envision an issue.

Defender of the Realm
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2014 07:59 AM by The ferret.)
06-19-2014 07:58 AM
Motogeezer1949 Offline
High Mileage

Winter Park Florida
Those actually look pretty good Smile thanks for the post !

The ferret Jim Lucia, aka Motogeezer 1949
2010 BMW R1200RT
2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRS ABS
Past: Cafe'd 2014 CB1100DLX.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 60th. Anniversary
06-29-2014 05:55 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,750

Full Statistics

>