Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Wiring a gps
hb9400 Offline
Running Like a Top

Marietta ga
Wiring a gps
Anyone wired a gps to the battery? Wondering if someone was able to run the wires above the engine without taking the tank off.

The ferret
06-19-2014 05:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kevbroce Offline
Running Like a Top

Burbank, Ca
RE: Wiring a gps
It's very easy to run cables under the tank. Just loosen the one big bold under the seat holding the tank to the frame and you can lift the tank up enough to hide wires out of sight.
06-19-2014 05:27 PM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
(06-19-2014 05:27 PM)kevbroce Wrote:  It's very easy to run cables under the tank. Just loosen the one big bold under the seat holding the tank to the frame and you can lift the tank up enough to hide wires out of sight.

Building on that, when the above is done, slightly lift the rear of the tank then, firmly but under control, pull the tank rearwards to free it from the forward retaining posts. About two or so inches. This allows you to lift the tank at both front and rear, to the limit of the fuel feeder hose, to give you easy access to under the tank. By the way, don't wear a metal watch band while manhandling the tank, or doing any serious mechanical work really. Many years ago I shorted my watch band from a battery terminal to the chassis. The watch band welded to the chassis and the resultant heat buildup caused me great discomfort until I could pull free, run fifty metres and get my wrist under a tap. I still bear the scars.

Cheers

Also, don't "hot wire" it. Wire it through another circuit (and fuse). Why? Well firstly circuit protection for your GPS, and secondly to prevent you flattening the battery if you leave the GPS on after switching the ignition off.

Cheers again.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2014 05:53 PM by Pterodactyl.)
06-19-2014 05:41 PM
hb9400 Offline
Running Like a Top

Marietta ga
(06-19-2014 05:41 PM)Pterodactyl Wrote:  
(06-19-2014 05:27 PM)kevbroce Wrote:  It's very easy to run cables under the tank. Just loosen the one big bold under the seat holding the tank to the frame and you can lift the tank up enough to hide wires out of sight.

Building on that, when the above is done, slightly lift the rear of the tank then, firmly but under control, pull the tank rearwards to free it from the forward retaining posts. About two or so inches. This allows you to lift the tank at both front and rear, to the limit of the fuel feeder hose, to give you easy access to under the tank. By the way, don't wear a metal watch band while manhandling the tank, or doing any serious mechanical work really. Many years ago I shorted my watch band from a battery terminal to the chassis. The watch band welded to the chassis and the resultant heat buildup caused me great discomfort until I could pull free, run fifty metres and get my wrist under a tap. I still bear the scars.

Cheers

Also, don't "hot wire" it. Wire it through another circuit (and fuse). Why? Well firstly circuit protection for your GPS, and secondly to prevent you flattening the battery if you leave the GPS on after switching the ignition off.

Cheers again.

Thanks for the info, the gps wire comes with a fuse and I never leave the gps on the bike when I stop but I would eventually like to get this installed.
http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php?pid=2#board.

The ferret
06-20-2014 06:00 AM
kevbroce Offline
Running Like a Top

Burbank, Ca
I wired my USB charger to the heated grips plug under the seat. It's switched on and off with the ignition so it won't ever drain the battery.
06-20-2014 09:15 AM
DAC Offline
High Mileage

Central Ohio, USA
(06-20-2014 09:15 AM)kevbroce Wrote:  I wired my USB charger to the heated grips plug under the seat. It's switched on and off with the ignition so it won't ever drain the battery.

Is this standard to the CB? The grips plug I mean?
06-20-2014 10:28 AM
kevbroce Offline
Running Like a Top

Burbank, Ca
Yeah, there's a red unused plug under the seat. I'm pretty sure it's for the heated grips at least, I just checked it with a multimeter for 12 volts on and off with the ignition switch. I'm not sure what else it would be used for.

06-20-2014 10:34 AM
shdwghst457 Offline
Running Like a Top

San Antonio, TX
Good find kevbroce!

'14 - #102052
'13 - #000955 (sold)
06-20-2014 11:32 AM
Tyke57nz Offline
1st Service Completed

NZ
(06-20-2014 10:34 AM)kevbroce Wrote:  Yeah, there's a red unused plug under the seat. I'm pretty sure it's for the heated grips at least, I just checked it with a multimeter for 12 volts on and off with the ignition switch. I'm not sure what else it would be used for.

Did you use the correct Honda connector for this socket, if so do you have a part number or did you reterminate with different connectors?
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2014 01:30 PM by Tyke57nz.)
06-20-2014 01:30 PM
kevbroce Offline
Running Like a Top

Burbank, Ca
Nope, I did not. I just hard wired it in. Far from ideal but whatever.
06-20-2014 01:34 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Mr. P: Sounds like another situation th . . .GoldOxide — 05:42 AM
peterbaron — 05:37 AM