Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Full or Open Face Helmet?
Bbref36 Offline
1st Service Completed

South Dakota USA
RE: Full or Open Face Helmet?
I bought a Scorpian EXO1100 Sixty-Six. It is a great lid and matches perfectly. It has a flip down dark visor is very comfy. I have attached a photo. Mark
[/quote]    
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2013 06:43 PM by Bbref36.)
05-23-2013 06:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
redReno Offline
1st Service Completed

Fallbrook, CA
(05-23-2013 03:16 PM)HikerToo Wrote:  I was thinking something like this from Shoei.

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx...R&h=11&t=1

I like that helmet for sure, and would probably like riding with it especially in the summer here.
But I would stick with a full face all year round for the protection.

I have a shoei qwest in the matte deep grey color with a dark tint screen. I've had it with my Nighthawk, but it definitely matches the CB11 way better. It's actually not as dark as it is in the pic on their website and is slightly darker than the CB11's side cover. The silver helmet would probably be a nicer match.

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?QWEST&h=20&t=1

I enjoy riding with it, it is very comfortable and the screen can be set in about 8 different spots from open to close and is easy to remove.
There is room for my chatterbox speakers and listening to music or chatting with a buddy is great.

My only complaints are,
at higher speeds without a windshield on the bike it can get noisy with wind, and with the chin curtain the screen fogs up easily in the mornings.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2013 08:20 PM by redReno.)
05-23-2013 08:19 PM
wildezt Offline
Running Like a Top

United States
(05-23-2013 04:31 PM)Flynbulldog Wrote:  the point of a helmet is protection and open face helmets do not protect your face.

I don't care how it looks or what's cool, Full face helmet all the time.

Amen to That..!
full face all the time.. cause we have to keep the face pretty too along with the bike..Big Grin

let's roll...The ferret
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2013 09:02 PM by wildezt.)
05-23-2013 08:57 PM
Gypped Offline
1st Service Completed

(05-23-2013 08:19 PM)redReno Wrote:  
(05-23-2013 03:16 PM)HikerToo Wrote:  I was thinking something like this from Shoei.

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx...R&h=11&t=1

I like that helmet for sure, and would probably like riding with it especially in the summer here.
But I would stick with a full face all year round for the protection.

I have a shoei qwest in the matte deep grey color with a dark tint screen. I've had it with my Nighthawk, but it definitely matches the CB11 way better. It's actually not as dark as it is in the pic on their website and is slightly darker than the CB11's side cover. The silver helmet would probably be a nicer match.

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?QWEST&h=20&t=1

I enjoy riding with it, it is very comfortable and the screen can be set in about 8 different spots from open to close and is easy to remove.
There is room for my chatterbox speakers and listening to music or chatting with a buddy is great.

My only complaints are,
at higher speeds without a windshield on the bike it can get noisy with wind, and with the chin curtain the screen fogs up easily in the mornings.

The Qwest is supposed to be about the quietest helmet Shoei makes. What kind of noise are you getting? If it's a high pitched whistling, you'll need to adjust the plates on the sides. Apparently, they didn't properly adjust a lot of Qwests out of the factory. I had to do this with mine; once I did, it was noticeably quieter.
05-23-2013 11:22 PM
thumper Offline
Running Like a Top

Bakersfield, CA.
Either my Shoei Neotec, or my Shoei RF1100.

The Neotec is a fantastic helmet. The internal sun visor is great, and the chin vent blows more air than any helmet I've ever owned (many, many Arai's during my day).

p.s.--the crashed helmet picture shown by flynbulldog explains my signature line perfectly!

***ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander***
[size=x-small][color=#000000]The Stable--[/color][color=#0000CD]TEx[/color],[color=#FF0000]CB11A[/color],[color=#32CD32]ZX6R[/color][/size]
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 12:27 AM by thumper.)
05-24-2013 12:25 AM
redReno Offline
1st Service Completed

Fallbrook, CA
(05-23-2013 11:22 PM)Gypped Wrote:  The Qwest is supposed to be about the quietest helmet Shoei makes. What kind of noise are you getting? If it's a high pitched whistling, you'll need to adjust the plates on the sides. Apparently, they didn't properly adjust a lot of Qwests out of the factory. I had to do this with mine; once I did, it was noticeably quieter.

Thanks I'll give it a shot, I'll let you know if it works.

And to stay on topic,
FULL FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​!!!!!!!!
......and 3/4 with shades only when you plan on going 5 mph past some fine looking ladies... keeping your eyes on them as you pass, then looking forward and you end up rear ending some buff macho man in his tiny two seater who beats you to a pulp in viewing distance from the fine looking ladies......yea I'll just stick with my full face.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 06:29 AM by redReno.)
05-24-2013 06:23 AM
JESTER Offline
Break-In Period

WA
I have wrecked before and its not fun! I was wearing a full face then and I will always wear one. I have the Shoei RF1000 which is 5yrs old so it was time to replace it.....with the Shoei RF1100. Safety gear is not the place to save money!!!!!!! Remember, when you are going down the last thought that will never go through you head is "man I am really wearing too much gear"

And if you do wana wear less gear I hear the Harley guys/life style may be more to your liking.

A closing thought....for those of us who have been riding for any length of time we have all lost someone who we rode with. But hey these are just opinions on the matter.
05-24-2013 07:42 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(05-24-2013 07:42 AM)JESTER Wrote:  And if you do wana wear less gear I hear the Harley guys/life style may be more to your liking.

Well, that was kind of a shot, wasn't it? I knew this site would lose its civility some day. Just didn't expect it this soon.
05-24-2013 07:50 AM
CA200 Offline
High Mileage

Madison Wi.
I agree with full face all the time. I have sold 1000s of helmets over time.
There was not a season that went by in the 15 years we were in the biss. that we did not lose a customer to no helmet or
to much to drink.
I even offered a free tire to a sport bike guy ( he was kinda of a local leader ) if he would wear a helmet when he rode around
town.
05-24-2013 09:36 AM
OldF7Guy Offline
Running Like a Top

The last helmet I bought was with the intent of actually having to use it. So I bought a Shoei full face. I live in a state where there is no helmet law and I estimate that 50 percent dont wear a helmet at all. I care that they dont but I am not going to preach to anybody about it. Of course we dont have to have helmets by law but we have to wear seat belts. Rolleyes

2003 Honda 750 Nighthawk
2013 Honda CB1100
05-24-2013 11:37 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
CRISIS During the time that the Triumph . . .misterprofessionality — 11:25 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,755

Full Statistics