Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Michelin Pilot Road 3s/Brake Pads - Fitted and Ridden.
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
My Bridgestone BT45 bias ply tyres (standard size) were stuffed and needed replacement. I had done approximately 16000kms on the Bridgestones. After some research, I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3s, 110/80/18F and 160/60/18R. I liked the reviews of these tyres and, I have to say, reading CIP57’s post also influenced me. I removed the wheels at home and took them to the tyre supplier. The supplier removed the Bridgies, fitted the Michelins and balanced the wheels. On inspection the rear brake pads were worn to the indicators and the fronts were only just OK. This was after 33300kms total. While the wheels were off was a good time to replace the pads so I did that.
I fitted sintered pads to the front and organic to the rear. I am heavy footed enough to make me cautious when applying rear brake while modulating sintered on the front is not a problem.

Thought I would show some photos:

Last Blast, wheels off, waiting for new shoes and stoppers. Older cousin in the background.

After fitting the pads and new tyres I was concerned with the clearance between the rear tyre (now 160/60) and the right side foot of the centerstand. With the 140/70 standard tyre the clearance is approximately 12.5mm (.5in). This was now reduced to about 7mm. Probably enough. But not enough to remove images in my overactive imagination of the rear tyre, at high speed, contacting the centerstand and bringing it down. Could be nasty. I thought about bending the right side of the stand out. There is not a lot of length between the foot and centerstand cross brace so a substantial bend would be required over a short distance. I then decided to remove the centerstand and cut the inside of the foot down to achieve at least a 12mm clearance.

Foot after surgery and a squirt of Kill-rust black paint.

Centerstand back in place. The clearance is now about 17mm. Imagination now at rest.

Removing the centerstand is easily done, a pinch of the proverbial possum’s pooh as they say (at least here in OZ they say that). I refitted the centerstand but did have an “issue”. Replacing the main spring and the sub spring proved not to be a pinch of the proverbial, to say the least. The sub spring sits inside the main spring and that’s how they both came off, together. Surely they go on together. Well, not quite. After about 30mins the floor below the bike was littered with various pliers, screwdrivers and even a hammer. The air was blue with my expletives. I do have a set of brake spring pliers, which may have done the job, but I couldn’t find them. Fitting the sub spring, located inside the main spring, was easy. The main spring not so, as the sub spring inhibited twisting and extending the main spring, and really did not want to stay in place while I attempted to fit the main spring. Bugger! I decided a beer was required to calm me down and lubricate the thought processes. It worked. Going back to the job I had a Eureka moment. Clamp the top of the main spring to the pivot post; fit the main spring using a suitable lever. I used a sturdy phillips head screwdriver. Then insert the sub spring inside the main spring with the upper end inboard of the clamped main spring and then pull down and attach at the bottom. Like a lot of things in life, once you have done it, you know how to do it.

Anyway, all back together and time to bed in the brake pads and get the shine off the tyres. I decided to ride to the Grey Gum Café on the Putty Road to the north west of Sydney. About a 306km ride, return. I wont go into the details of the ride too much except to say that the initial 40km was on freeway so that by spacing between blocks of cars I had the brakes well and truly bedded and the tyres warm before getting on the Putty Road. The Putty Road has lots of tight twisties, sweepers and some straight. Ideal for the job. In a Seat Time post Cormanus has given some good detail on this road and a photo of the Grey Gum Cafe. The tyres were good by the time I had a fish burger washed down by a coffee at the Grey Gum. On the run back I gave the Michelins a good workout. I was impressed. I had the strong impression they were smooth and very sticky. Got up some good lean angles. Felt good.

Here are a couple of photos of Last Blast with new boots:

Cheers
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2018 01:50 PM by Cormanus.)
07-12-2014 03:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Michelin Pilot Road 3s/Brake Pads - Fitted and Ridden.
Nice job. Tires look good. New brake pads are always nice to have and now you are ready for some out-backing and ride reports. The ferret

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
07-12-2014 03:19 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Yes, nice looking tires. I have 2000+ miles on my P3s with an unmodified center stand, but thanks for freaking me out a little bit. I may have to shave down the right side of the stand to ease my imagination now. Very helpful post.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
07-12-2014 05:58 AM
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
Nice report P, very positive tire to input and smooth, glad we have had positive reviews on the PR3's. I have about 1800mi on mine with no evidence of a flat spot on the rear or cupping in the front.

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
07-12-2014 06:28 AM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
(07-12-2014 06:28 AM)CIP57 Wrote:  Nice report P, very positive tire to input and smooth, glad we have had positive reviews on the PR3's. I have about 1800mi on mine with no evidence of a flat spot on the rear or cupping in the front.

Thanks for the feedback. Very encouraging.

Cheers
07-12-2014 06:34 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Thanks for the great write up Pterodactyl. The tires look good on the bike also.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
07-12-2014 03:50 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Good report, Pterodactyl. I like the look of those tyres. Makes me think I should have waited before replacing my Dunlops with BT45s. Ah well, there'll be a next time.
07-12-2014 04:51 PM
ari cb Offline
Break-In Period

sydney
Good write up mate.

Where did you source your PR3s from?
07-12-2014 05:02 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
I bet my dealer could jack the bike up and cut or grind the right foot down without removing the stand. I might be willing to pay for that. I'll let you know.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
07-12-2014 05:11 PM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
(07-12-2014 04:51 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  Good report, Pterodactyl. I like the look of those tyres. Makes me think I should have waited before replacing my Dunlops with BT45s. Ah well, there'll be a next time.

Thanks. A next time? At the rate your clocking up the Ks, there surely will be.

Cheers

(07-12-2014 05:02 PM)ari cb Wrote:  Good write up mate.

Where did you source your PR3s from?

Thanks mate. From:

MCAS

I like these guys. They did the "right thing" by me on another occasion. But any motorcycle dealer should be able to order and fit to either the wheels, or the bike. Your choice.

Cheers
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2014 06:20 PM by Pterodactyl.)
07-12-2014 06:15 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Brake Pads... Simplified
keep in mind riding style will dictate w . . .m in sc — 07:29 AM
Brake Pads... Simplified
I use oem pads and I replaced mine at 19 . . .The ferret — 06:39 AM
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.