Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Who makes the best...
redReno Offline
1st Service Completed

Fallbrook, CA
Who makes the best...
Which companies have you had experience with that made outstanding protective equipment?

Helmet:
Jacket:
Gloves:
Pants:
Boots:
Suit:
Reflective gear:
Water resistant/proof gear:
Pack/Luggage:KRIEGA http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kHx0J0BBVrI

I've had a shoei and alpinestars gear. Helmet is ok, I think I'll get a shuberth when I have the dough. Alpinestars jacket I've had for almost 2 years and it's still pretty good. Gloves are done.
I have Chippewa boots, great while riding but kind of uncomfortable to walk in.
I'd say kriega is the only company I know for sure that makes great packs, I love mine.
07-13-2014 01:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
RE: Who makes the best...
"Best" is going to vary from one individual to the next.

Here are the companies whose products I've had good experiences with:

Helmet: I've been using Arai helmets since I started riding on the street seven years ago. Very happy with their product as well as their customer service (I broke one of the air vent switches on top of my current helmet after about 4 years of use. I had a replacement item back on the helmet in less than a weeks time at no cost to me. Most any modern helmet that fits well is going to be a better option than the latest /greatest helmet that doesn't fit right. Also, I prefer to buy my helmets as small / tight as possible without causing pain or discomfort. Over time, the inner lining materials do break in a bit and loosen up some.

Jacket: I own a Langlitz Leathers custom jacket. But I would actually recommend Johnson Leathers out of San Francisco. They are more than capable of making higher quality custom leathers at prices lower than what you'll pay for similar off-the-rack items from the big name manufacturers like Alpinestars or Dainese. They send you a test-fit jacket and then modify accordingly based on how the standard jacket fits and will make other customizations per your requests. The Johnson Leathers website does not represent their products well at all (nor does it represent their complete product line, so I'd recommend giving them a call). So, crappy website, but awesome leathers. Their work is truly top notch. (I also own an Alpinestars mesh jacket for the summertime when things get really warm.)

Gloves: I'm very particular about the fit of my gloves and would have a hard time buying a pair that I couldn't try on first without being able to return them hassle free. I own gloves from Dainese and Alpinestars and REV'IT. The Alpinestars fit my hands slightly better and have held up better than the Dainese gloves. The REV'IT gloves are for winter use only and are waterproof and insulated.

Pants: I own leather pants from Langlitz and some textile overpants from Alpinestars. I'd like to find a pair of leather overpants some day.

Boots: I use Dainese TRQ-Tour boots. These are waterproof and provide good protection. These boots have really been great, but down the road I'd prefer to find a boot that offered similar protection (from the elements as well as from accidents) but with a bit more of a straightforward, plain look.

Suit: No suit. Maybe some day.

Reflective gear: My Alpinestars jacket has built-in reflective surfaces as well as hi-viz markings. I cover my Langlitz jacket with an Icon hi-viz vest with reflective surfaces. My Kriega backpack has built-in reflective surfaces also.

Water resistant/proof gear: I have a REV'IT Pacific H2O one piece rain suit for when things get really wet.

Pack/Luggage: I too love my Kriega backpack and always use it for my commute to work. I also have a tank pack and a seat pack from Cortech that work well.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
07-13-2014 02:36 PM
HikerToo Offline
Road Warrior

Delaware
Shoei if it fits, Dainese if it fits, Hepco-Becker
I've had people at lights compliment me for my Dainese leather jacket when I thought they were going to say the motorcycle :-)
07-13-2014 02:47 PM
The Spaceman Offline
Road Warrior

First Amendment Street
Mr. Ferret! Paging Mr. Ferret! You have a riding gear thread waiting on aisle 7!

Go hagofuku yourself.
07-13-2014 02:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Who makes the best...
Mr Ferret's collection of gear requires an entire forum.
07-13-2014 03:11 PM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
Helmet : Arai
Gloves : Held
07-13-2014 04:27 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Lol...Ferret here

Yes I have a lot of gear, but I am a common man, easily pleased.

I wear HJC helmets, couldn't tell you what their customer service is like because I've never needed them. Open face, 3/4, modular, full face, the IS series, I'm happy with them all. They fit me well, probably not the quietest, or have the best air flow, but I'm happy with them.

Same for my textile jackets..Tourmaster and Cortech. Never had a stitch or zipper fail, no velcro has come loose, they just do what they are supposed to do.

My riding pants are Tourmaster and Fieldsheer..work as advertised.

My solid leather jacket is an X-Element and there is a seam on the shoulder that has let loose. Its seen a lot of years/miles and was inexpensive to begin with. Love to have a Vanson, Langlitz, or Fox Valley but I am too frugal.

My mesh leather is a Tecknic... No issues.

Most of my gloves are Tourmaster and Cortech too, and they are good gloves, but I wear my deerskin gloves most of the time. I was unhappy with a pair of Alpinestars gloves that were advertised as waterproof and weren't.

I also use Cortech and Tourmaster soft luggage. Good stuff.

Despite the complete failure of the Alpinestars gloves, my Alpinestars waterproof touring boots have been waterproof and have been good boots. I also have a pair of Vega Nitro boots that have been decent, but not great.

My Frogg Toggs raingear has kept me dry so far.

I ride all year round in the midwest and that requires a lot of gear. From 0 degrees to over 100, rain, wind, and snow. Hardly miss a day as long as the roads are clear. I put my gear to the test, and I must say, compared to the gear we had 40 years ago (open face Buco fiberglass helmets with very little interior foam, goggles or bubble shields, work boots, green Army pea coats and wool sweaters, work gloves, blue jeans, maybe a wool scarf..the gear available today is just outstanding. It keeps you warm, and dry, is stylish and provides great protection if you fall off.

You know as far as what is best? Caviar and champaign is expensive, I'd rather have a cheeseburger and a coke. 5 star hotels cost a lot, I stay in Quality Inns or Microtels. That probably says a lot about me lol.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
07-13-2014 04:56 PM
redReno Offline
1st Service Completed

Fallbrook, CA
Great posts so far Thumbs Up
Thanks!
I'll be in Virginia for a few months, still debating whether or not I should ship the bike over (I'm worried about the colder months), but The ferret's post is edging me to a yes.
07-13-2014 07:30 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Pretty happy with my Olympia mesh jacket and pants. They have a wind/water proof liner, but I also carry Revit rain gear...I find it much easier to add the Revit gear over my jacket and pants rather than zipping in the liners. SO, I guess I'm recommending an armored mesh jacket and pant, but skip the liners and buy frog togs or Revit rain gear.

HJC helmets are fine, but "best" will be the one that fits you correctly and has the safety and convenience features you want.

I like my Lee Parks deerskin gloves...not armored, but have skid patches. Very comfortable.

Also, most of this information is readily available in the Gear section divided pretty much by individual item. A lt of good and detailed information is already here for you Smile

I'm not as diehard as Ferret, but layering with reasonably good gear keeps me riding in Chicago pretty deep into the cold and/or wet.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
07-13-2014 07:54 PM
shdwghst457 Offline
Running Like a Top

San Antonio, TX
I'm not going to go out and say that these things are the *best* because I don't have enough experience with other brands, but I'm happy with my current ensemble:

Helmet: Shoei RF-1100
Jacket: River Road leather, ~$400
Gloves: Oakley Factory Pilots, carbon fiber knuckle plates, ~$80
Pants: Prefer not to wear any
Boots: Oakley Standard Issue ~$90
Suit: Sonny Crockett's

'14 - #102052
'13 - #000955 (sold)
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2014 07:07 AM by shdwghst457.)
07-14-2014 07:07 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,754

Full Statistics

>