Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
so i went down today
jsinher3 Offline
1st Service Completed

United States
Sad so i went down today
well it was on and off shower today, i finaly caught a break from the rain and decided to take the bike back to where i keep it so i can take the truck back home since the weather was going to be bad for the next couple of days and i might need to go out, and i need to go grocery shopping and ect. fair enough i decided to where a chest and back protecter vest, a columbia rain jacket just incase it rains on my way there and my jeans and boots and set out to my destination. as im driving through a wooded reservation i find myself being tail gated by some white car. i tried speeding up a bit, i did not want to go too fast since it was my first time driving in wet conditions. the person still kept on my ass so as i was getting ready to pull to the side the person illegally passes me causing me to swerve, losing traction on the rear wheel and going down. i hit the pavement with the bike, managed to slide off from underneath for about 5 to 10 ft doing the superman pose and came to a stop. at which point i look up and the car didnt even bother stopping and was gone around the corner. i got up moved the bike to the side of the road to expect myself and the bike. i only suffered some road rash and a swollen knee, the bike damage wasnt so bad either. i am mainly upset that the person didnt even bother to see if i was alive or not. the bike looks like it could get fixed but to be honest i hope it get totaled, after the hit i cant really look at it the same.

here is the worst of the wounds i got

and heres some pics of the damage

07-27-2014 08:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
grover Offline
Running Like a Top

Dallas, TX
so i went down today
Oh man! Sorry to hear you were injured, glad to know you're okay. Rest up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07-27-2014 08:58 PM
VicsCB1100 Offline
1st Service Completed

Sydney, Australia
RE: so i went down today
The bike looks easily fixed so should be like new after some new parts are bolted on.

Most importantly you're OK and will have few battle scars to show off.

Tailgaters are a&%$€holes at any time let alone in the rain. Its a shame no witnesses came forward to report him.

Yesterday I had a close call myself with a tailgater. I was hit from behind in the exit ramp leaving a petrol station. Just managed to avoid falling. Damage was just a bent number plate. It could have been much worse if I was pushed out into the highway traffic as I had my teenage daughter on the back for her first ride.

The lady SUV driver did stop and apologise but got a dose of my disgust anyway.

Get well soon and out on the road to enjoy the CB some more.
07-27-2014 09:02 PM
PowderToastMan Offline
Running Like a Top

California
Looks like maybe two or three grand worth of damage if you have a dealership do it.. I know from personal experience! Got knocked off about a year ago by a fellow motorcyclist who low-sided coming out of a right hander. His bike skidded into my lane and side-swiped me, causing me to go down on the left side. Luckily zero injuries happened.. leather gear was my best friend that day!

The side covers on the crankcase got rashed up, and of course the turn signals, bar end, and levers took a little scuffing, and just like yours, the plastic back cover on the instrument cluster got ripped up. Yours looks much worse than mine did, but with mine they replaced the whole cluster anyway, so I doubt that will have any bearing on the cost.

I'm glad you did pretty OK injury wise! Watch out for the swollen knee, that could be trouble down the road if you don't nurse it.. if not a major injury then getting into the habit of some stretches and strength exercises for the gluts and the quads could be good! I just took a free physical therapy knee class that my health provider offers and that's what I learned.

Don't get discouraged, just heal up and get back out there and have fun with your CB! I had 1600 miles when I got knocked off, and I've done another 7k since then, no regrets at all!
07-27-2014 09:16 PM
Randy B Offline
Road Warrior

Palm Bay FL
I went down on the left side with engine case damage, both turn signals, left rear shock, left mirror, rear foot peg, gauge covers (yours looks like the assembly needs replacing), left front caliper, lower left fork tube, front axle and nut and the front fender.

My thinking is that with the gauge cluster and the muffler your bill will come closer to $5,000 in damages. That cluster is not cheap and the muffler is over $1,000.
Look over the lower part of the fork tube and the caliper and the rear shock for and scrape marks as that will be included in the estimate.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2014 10:30 PM by Randy B.)
07-27-2014 10:28 PM
PowderToastMan Offline
Running Like a Top

California
Hmm, yeah I guess the muffler is about a grand by itself, I wasn't thinking about that.
My left side bill was somewhere in the 2k to 3k range, which I think included the instrument cluster. I have the invoice around somewhere but I'm not sure where..
07-27-2014 10:52 PM
Jim21680 Offline
Running Like a Top

Philadelphia, PA
There are few things on this Earth that piss me off worse than a tailgater. It's absolutely maddening, and I usually let people know it.

When my dad rode in the 70's, he said riders would carry a handful of ball bearings in their pockets, and toss them behind at cars following too close.
While I'd LOVE to do that in some cases, my good judgement tells me it's always better to just pull over and let them pass, as you did. (The only thing worse than a terrible driver, is a pissed-off terrible driver, with thousands of pounds of automobile at their disposal).

Well, we're all glad you're alright, and I always hate to see a cracked-up CB. It's no doubt going to be a pricey fix, but I think you'll see that bike back in roadworthy shape soon. Maybe your insurance company will let you replace the stock exhaust with a cheaper aftermarket pipe Smile
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2014 11:02 PM by Jim21680.)
07-27-2014 10:59 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
I'm sad to read this, but glad that you came out of it in as good of shape as you did.

Heal well.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
07-27-2014 11:10 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Bugger! Tailgaters are a particularly unpleasant species for who few punishments are too severe. Glad you're basically OK; it's way better than the alternative. The bike will be as good as new sometime soon.

Best wishes for your recovery.
07-28-2014 12:22 AM
The Spaceman Offline
Road Warrior

First Amendment Street
No need to worry, those cuss will get theirs. Karma is always there.

Go hagofuku yourself.
07-28-2014 03:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
That is a very good story, Ferret. In . . .The ferret — 03:58 PM
I don't know about that... they're easy . . .Gone in 60 — 03:50 PM
Haha ferret....it's funny how some thing . . .misterprofessionality — 03:41 PM
Todays weather