Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I reinstall the center stand?
chrisross Offline
1st Service Completed

Arkansas
I had to take it off for reasons that I'll be happy to discuss once my question is answered (so as not to derail the thread).

I get the schematic, but I can't figure out how stretch the springs to fit back - they're too tight.

Anyone know how?
07-28-2014 02:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
RE: How do I reinstall the center stand?
one way to make the spring 'longer " is to fit washers between the windings when of the bike.
You might check a you tube video.
07-28-2014 02:38 PM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
From my post on another subject:

Quote:Removing the centerstand is easily done, a pinch of the proverbial possum’s pooh as they say (at least here in OZ they say that). I refitted the centerstand but did have an “issue”. Replacing the main spring and the sub spring proved not to be a pinch of the proverbial, to say the least. The sub spring sits inside the main spring and that’s how they both came off, together. Surely they go on together. Well, not quite. After about 30mins the floor below the bike was littered with various pliers, screwdrivers and even a hammer. The air was blue with my expletives. I do have a set of brake spring pliers, which may have done the job, but I couldn’t find them. Fitting the sub spring, located inside the main spring, was easy. The main spring not so, as the sub spring inhibited twisting and extending the main spring, and really did not want to stay in place while I attempted to fit the main spring. Bugger! I decided a beer was required to calm me down and lubricate the thought processes. It worked. Going back to the job I had a Eureka moment. Clamp the top of the main spring to the pivot post (with a pair of vice grips); fit the main spring using a suitable lever. I used a sturdy phillips head screwdriver. Then insert the sub spring inside the main spring with the upper end inboard of the clamped main spring and then pull down and attach at the bottom. Like a lot of things in life, once you have done it, you know how to do it.

Do all the above with the centre stand secured in the up position ( shortest spring throw). Also if you have another clamp put that on the stand leg as an anchor point for the screwdriver that you use as a lever. A bit of brute force and bad language helps. Anyway, if you improve on the above method let me know.

Cheers
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 03:39 PM by Pterodactyl.)
07-28-2014 02:47 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
See this post. Might help.
07-28-2014 02:48 PM
Deanohh Offline
Running Like a Top

Redmond, Wa
I have a tool that looks like a foot long round bar with a divot drilled in the side near one end. You put it through the spring end and hook the divot on the anchor post and lever the spring end and it slides off the tool onto the post.

bike shops sell what they call a spring hook....a rod bent into a hook with a t- handle to pull with.

in a bind I have tied a STRONG piece of cord around the rear rim, ran the free end around through the hook end of the spring, and pulled the cord (wrapped around a short piece of broomstick as a handle) to the rear which was like a pulley to pull the spring end back to the anchor pin.

2011 Triumph Street Triple R
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
07-28-2014 04:19 PM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
I've not done a spring on the CB centerstand but I've done several on other bikes. I use heavy braided nylon cord tied around the end of the two springs with the other end wrapped and secured to a stout wood dowel or a section of old broom handle. With the stand secured in the up position, and the bike either securely chocked or held by a helper, you can pull the spring into position with little effort.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
07-28-2014 04:42 PM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
^^^^. Sounds good. As they say there is more than one way of killing a cat rather than choking it with a sausage.

Cheers
07-28-2014 05:31 PM
chrisross Offline
1st Service Completed

Arkansas
Okay...I guess it's kinda hard to explain but I've got stuff to try. Before I go about this, I want to make sure. The 2 springs have one more rounded side and one more v shaped side. I'm assuming the v side goes on the stand, and the round side attaches to the little connector clip to the bike. Also, on the clip, one side just has a hole, and the other side has a hole and a slot cut. I assume the slot side attaches to the spring and the regular hole side attaches to the bike.

Sorry, that was way too wordy..
07-28-2014 06:44 PM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
(07-28-2014 06:44 PM)chrisross Wrote:  Okay...I guess it's kinda hard to explain but I've got stuff to try. Before I go about this, I want to make sure. The 2 springs have one more rounded side and one more v shaped side. I'm assuming the v side goes on the stand, and the round side attaches to the little connector clip to the bike. Also, on the clip, one side just has a hole, and the other side has a hole and a slot cut. I assume the slot side attaches to the spring and the regular hole side attaches to the bike.

Sorry, that was way too wordy..

No worries mate, but I am getting a little confused. Slot side? Regular hole side? Clip? With respect, I don't understand. The springs are attached to the bike frame by hooking to a post that protrudes from the frame. This post is grooved just short of end. The spring hooks sit in this groove so that they are secure, that is they can't slip off. The springs attach to the stand by hooking to an "eye" that is on the outboard side of the stand. To correctly orient the springs, just hook one end OVER (not under) the frame post. If you have got it right the hook at the other end, although short of the eye, should look as though you can hook it through the eye from the outboard side.

To proceed to the next step:

1. Secure the centre stand in the up position. Tie it to the frame with something. Rag, silk stocking, corporate look tie etc.

2. Next the springs. Separate the springs and start with the main spring (the big one). If you have managed to work out which is the frame end, let's call it the top, and the stand end, let's call that the bottom, hook the top end over the frame post, aligned with the stand leg. Clamp it in position with vice grips (these may be called locking pliers in the US).

3. You will have to use your ingenuity to then stretch the main spring bottom hook through the stand eye. I used another set of vice grips around the stand leg as a pivot, a sturdy PH screwdriver as a lever and a bit of push and shove to get the hook through the eye. I also told it that if it didn't go on this time I would rip its guts out and feed them to the pigs. This was effective.

4. Once the main spring is on you are laughing ("Yalarfinmate" in the local dialect). Remove the vice grips from the stand post. Feed the sub spring, from the bottom, through the main spring so that the top hook sits OVER the frame post, INBOARD of the main spring hook. Clamp with vice grips, not really necessary as the main spring holds the sub spring in place but if you have any difficulty with the next step it may help.

5. Once again use ingenuity to stretch the sub spring bottom hook through the stand eye.

6. Remove silk stocking, vice grips, put tools away and run the bike up and down on the centre stand and check that all is in place. With all the above excitement don't forget to torque the pivot pipe mounting bolt to 12Nm (9 lbft), that is, snug tight if you don't have a torque wrench. Honda recommends that this bolt is replaced once disassembled, I didn't. Also you should have lubed the pivot pipe with a little lithium grease.

7. Admire your work while sucking the guts from a "coldie".

Cheers mate, and good luck.
07-28-2014 10:06 PM
pekingduck Offline
Road Warrior

So Cal
Try this, no tools needed:
Hook the springs to the frame and stand FIRST, with the stand more or less horizontal.
Insert the pin into the right side just enough to engage the stand. This becomes the pivot point.
Now you can grab the stand itself as a lever and push/pull it to align the left side, and push the shaft through.

I figure this out after years of attaching the stand first, then struggling with the spring. Now, "piece o cake".
07-28-2014 11:55 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Brake Pads... Simplified
I bought all my pads from my Honda deale . . .peterbaron — 12:21 AM
Brake Pads... Simplified
i think those come from the same fac . . .Yata-Garasu — 10:28 PM
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.