Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Oiling chain
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
RE: Oiling chain
(03-25-2015 08:27 PM)Motogeezer1949 Wrote:  Check out HikerToo's post on page 1 of this thread. For the newest of o-ring technology chains, WD or kerosene are excellent cleaners, just make sure to re-lube thoroughly to keep the o-rings pliable Wink

Thanks mate. You are right, Hiker's post is interesting and informative.

Cheers
03-25-2015 09:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Riko Offline
High Mileage

Belgium
(08-07-2014 02:25 PM)AzBob Wrote:  Brake cleaner to clean and Honda Pro Chain Lube for lube. About every 1,000 miles or so. I have over 13k miles on my high-hp CBR's chain and it's still fine.

I assume your chain has been holding up strong ever since using brake cleaner? Smile
07-13-2016 07:41 AM
riceburner Offline
1st Service Completed

pa
(07-13-2016 07:41 AM)Riko Wrote:  
(08-07-2014 02:25 PM)AzBob Wrote:  Brake cleaner to clean and Honda Pro Chain Lube for lube. About every 1,000 miles or so. I have over 13k miles on my high-hp CBR's chain and it's still fine.

I assume your chain has been holding up strong ever since using brake cleaner? Smile

After doing a search for chains and master links it appears that chain technology and complexity has evolved and gotten more expensive since I last had a bike with a chain.The master links now need a riveting tool to install rather than a simple pair of mc toolkit supplied pliers to install the long ago used clip to secure the master link,which worked perfectly fine by the way.Still at 48 bucks for a chain and 9 bucks for the tool,if you don't need an excuse to get out of the house and escape to the sanctuary of the garage for extended periods of chain maintenance and cleaning,why bother.Just lube it regular with spray can and ride,use the time saved to ride.Riding in the rain is non labor intensive chain cleaning method does not push dirt into to nooks and crannies and just needs a little lube when done with the ride. my 2 cents.
07-13-2016 11:15 AM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
A quick wipedown with kerosene, a wipe with a rag, and a spritz of whatever leftover aerosol chain lube I have on the shelf seems to work fine for me. Every 1000 miles or so seems about right. I try not to overthink it. The chain and sprockets WILL wear out at some point and will need to be replaced - it's unavoidable, like death and taxes.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
07-13-2016 11:40 AM
Riko Offline
High Mileage

Belgium
(07-13-2016 11:40 AM)LongRanger Wrote:  it's unavoidable, like death and taxes.

unlike death, you can cheat taxes, its not impossible Smile even its for a happy few, its nut that unavoidable

[align=center][b]CB[color=#FFD700]1100[/color][color=#FF0000]EX[/color][/b]
Cool spoked wheels Cool

Follow [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=7489][i]The Belgian Build[/i][/url][/align]
07-13-2016 12:00 PM
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
endless loop, sorta like the shampoo bottle instructions - wash,rinse,repeat.

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
07-16-2016 06:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Whilst cleaning my bike earlier this week I noticed the chain needed a small adjustment (out about 1/4"). I could not remember the last time it was adjusted, well over a year ago I'm sure. Modern O ring chains and and chain lubes are remarkable. Chain maintenance used to be such an annoyance but not any longer and I find the reasoning for shaft drives and belts less and less convincing. Add in the ease of final gearing changes with a chain plus less weight over a shaft system and chain drive looks better than ever.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
07-28-2016 06:43 AM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
I agree. The amount of attention required by a quality sealed chain is a small fraction of what it was with the standard (i.e. unsealed) chains in 'ye olden days. Those old chains had to stay continuously soaked in thick, heavy lubricants, which was both time consuming and messy. Since the lube didn't generally stay in the rollers (unless you lubed every 100 miles or so), chain adjustment and replacement intervals were a lot shorter.

Most of the time when I hear someone complaining about chain final drives it's either people who haven't used a modern sealed chain, or (surprisingly) those that do have a sealed chain, but continue to maintain them like the old standard chains. Huh

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
07-29-2016 12:21 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM