Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why have kick starters gone extinct?
OldF7Guy Offline
Running Like a Top

My buddy just bought a 78 CB750K and the question popped into my mind why the kick start is a thing of the past. From what little I know is that on fuel injected engines the battery has to power the fuel pump and if it is dead a kick start wont matter anyway. But then you have a lot of carbed bikes like the Nighthawks with no kick start either. Or is it because it costs another 20-30 bucks?

I would feel better having the option just in case but of course you can always push start in in a jam if you have to. Just wondering what the real reason is that almost nothing anymore has a kick start including scooters.

2003 Honda 750 Nighthawk
2013 Honda CB1100
08-15-2014 07:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Randy B Offline
Road Warrior

Palm Bay FL
RE: Why have kick starters gone extinct?
It's about cost vs reward I guess. The reliability of electric starters and batteries have become such that a kick starter just isn't a required item any more. I had one on my first bike (1976 CB500T) and I used it because I had a bad battery and charging issues with that bike. Honestly I'm not really sure why the bike finally decided to restart, but I got home with it. I never had a need to even push start any of my Nighthawks sooo.....
08-15-2014 09:11 PM
Short Timer Offline
1st Service Completed

Chicagoland
Probably just a matter of economics and refinement. I had frequent starter button problems on the old bikes. Used the kicker fairly often. But that was then and this is now. The other thing is the average size motor back in the day was about half or less than what everyone is tooling around on now. Not sure I'd want to be kicking one over very often these days. Cool

Memories include bruises and skinned shins and breaking a sweat before I ever got moving! Undecided

Interestingly enough, however, the new Yamaha 400cc is kick start only! Guess they saved a few bucks by going in the other direction.

2014 CB1100 Dlx...Retro Refined
Currently enjoying the best gears of my life.

"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen."
-Louis L'Amour
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014 09:35 PM by Short Timer.)
08-15-2014 09:30 PM
Randy B Offline
Road Warrior

Palm Bay FL
My buddies KZ1000 has a kicker on it and it has been used those times when he didn't have a charged battery because he just doesn't charge it over the winter like you are supposed to. (I want that bike...grrrr...lol)

08-15-2014 10:41 PM
Motogeezer1949 Offline
High Mileage

Winter Park Florida
Same reason we don't hand crank cars any more. Or mowers, or boats, or snow machines, or......

The ferret Jim Lucia, aka Motogeezer 1949
2010 BMW R1200RT
2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRS ABS
Past: Cafe'd 2014 CB1100DLX.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 60th. Anniversary
08-15-2014 11:48 PM
gossman Offline
Running Like a Top

Poverty Gulch, Oregon
My '81 CB 650 did not have a kick starter and that really made me nervous. Never needed it. I think today's motor cycles are just that reliable. My 9.9 Yamaha trolling motor I just got this spring is electric start, no pull rope.
08-15-2014 11:50 PM
N.O.L.A. J Wag Offline
Break-In Period

united states
EFI changed the game completely. Kick start saved my hide many times over yrs., but no re-jetting n tuning due to altitude,humidity etc. big plus. Torn...right side of engine naked w/out kick tucked in.
08-16-2014 02:01 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
As stated earlier, batteries and starters are very reliable now. Having a kick start on my old R/75 saved a trip for me years ago. My battery would not hold a charge on the way home. Had never used the kick start up till then.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
08-16-2014 04:47 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Lol like many of you I remember when they first started coming put with the new fangled electric starters. Up until then it was kick only. I can only wish my 59 Sportster had an electric starter and no kick starter. That thing was a beast to fire off if the right sequence wasn't followed which I still remember...ign off, choke on, kick twice, choke off, ign on, kick and pray.

A kick starter on an elect start bike saved me a few times in the past, but have not seemed necessary since they eliminated them.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
08-16-2014 05:27 AM
Elipten Offline
Road Warrior

San Antonio, TX
Weight and cost versus actual need. Electric starter and battery reliability killed it off. Combine with increasing engine size and how many of us would kick start an 1100. They still exist on all the 125cc bikes I see overseas. Even saw one with a rope pull like a lawn mower in Peru.

Current inventory

2014 CB1100 DLX
1990 BMW K75RT
08-16-2014 05:27 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Sundays with Cheryl
Alright Cheryl's back riding. Been waiti . . .The ferret — 06:23 PM