Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Aluminum sprocket cover ('13) fit? (Samurider)
Papa Weeley Offline
High Mileage

SoCal
Aluminum sprocket cover ('13) fit? (Samurider)
I could swear there was a thread about the metal sprocket covers here, but I can't find one.
Samurider says theirs (the factory looking model, not the racey Moriwaki version) fits the 2013, but that "the bottom mounting hole does not line up"...??? How does it fit then? Anyone have any info or experience on these? I really like the look over the stock black plastic piece, but I'm in no hurry to buy something that doesn't work.
Thanks -

[color=#FFA500][i][color=#32CD32][color=#00BFFF]Ham and eggs - a day's work for a chicken, a life-altering experience for a pig.[/color][/color][/i][/color]
2013 CB1100 #056, with too danged many mods to list.
2015 Honda CB500x
08-22-2014 10:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Spaceman Offline
Road Warrior

First Amendment Street
RE: Aluminum sprocket cover ('13) fit? (Samurider)
I remember the details of the post where a '14 cover was installed on a '13. It fits great, mounts solidly, all lined up with the exception of the one lower hole. And Mr. T even sends along a small bolt to fill the empty hole so it looks right. You can expect it to work just fine.

Go hagofuku yourself.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2014 11:12 AM by The Spaceman.)
08-22-2014 11:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Papa Weeley Offline
High Mileage

SoCal
Ahhh...OK. Very cool - thanks!

[color=#FFA500][i][color=#32CD32][color=#00BFFF]Ham and eggs - a day's work for a chicken, a life-altering experience for a pig.[/color][/color][/i][/color]
2015 Honda CB500x
08-22-2014 11:27 AM
CB4ME Offline
Road Warrior

Maryland
When Honda added an aluminum sprocket cover to the 2014, I thought it was a fantastic upgrade to the cheap (but not inexpensive) plastic cover on the 2013. I contacted Mr T and he got me one. Soon after he listed it on his site.

I think it's one of the best modifications I've done on my bike.

Some folks may pass on this upgrade because it is not a perfect swap. The bottom mounting hole does not line up. That bothered me for about 2 seconds. (I did let Mr T know, and he updated his listing)

Three silver bolts are included with the cover. Simply add a stainless nut and washer to the bottom bolt to fill the hole. Only you will know... (well, anyone familiar with the difference will know).

The cover is very solidly mounted using the top 2 bolts. It's not going anywhere. I just had the cover off to replace the countershaft sprocket and both bolts were still very tight.

Did I mention I love this modification? Go for it!

Picture of 2014 aluminum cover vs. a plastic 2013 cover in silver:

[size=xx-small]Accessories by: Agras, BabyFace, Chic Design, Daytona, Endurance, Force Design, Honda, K&H, K&N, Magic Racing, MotoGear, Moriwaki, Ohlins, PBI Sprockets, Posh, Power Commander, Ryujin, SP Takegawa, SP Tadao, SW Motech, TSR, U-Kanaya, WM, XAM Sprockets [/size]
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2014 06:20 AM by CB4ME.)
08-23-2014 06:06 AM
ubelhjs Offline
Break-In Period

Evansville Indiana
CB - What kind of paint did you use on the plastic piece? Did you have to prime first?

08-23-2014 07:26 AM
CB4ME Offline
Road Warrior

Maryland
(08-23-2014 07:26 AM)ubelhjs Wrote:  CB - What kind of paint did you use on the plastic piece? Did you have to prime first?

The silver plastic cover is OEM purchased from Mr T. Honda put the silver cover on their European and Japanese market bikes with silver engines. I went from orignal black plastic to silver plastic to aluminum.

[size=xx-small]Accessories by: Agras, BabyFace, Chic Design, Daytona, Endurance, Force Design, Honda, K&H, K&N, Magic Racing, MotoGear, Moriwaki, Ohlins, PBI Sprockets, Posh, Power Commander, Ryujin, SP Takegawa, SP Tadao, SW Motech, TSR, U-Kanaya, WM, XAM Sprockets [/size]
08-24-2014 06:09 AM
Papa Weeley Offline
High Mileage

SoCal
Awesome - thanks, CB4ME.

2015 Honda CB500x
08-25-2014 10:14 AM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
(08-23-2014 06:06 AM)CB4ME Wrote:  When Honda added an aluminum sprocket cover to the 2014, I thought it was a fantastic upgrade to the cheap (but not inexpensive) plastic cover on the 2013. I contacted Mr T and he got me one. Soon after he listed it on his site.

I think it's one of the best modifications I've done on my bike.

Some folks may pass on this upgrade because it is not a perfect swap. The bottom mounting hole does not line up. That bothered me for about 2 seconds. (I did let Mr T know, and he updated his listing)

Three silver bolts are included with the cover. Simply add a stainless nut and washer to the bottom bolt to fill the hole. Only you will know... (well, anyone familiar with the difference will know).

The cover is very solidly mounted using the top 2 bolts. It's not going anywhere. I just had the cover off to replace the countershaft sprocket and both bolts were still very tight.

Did I mention I love this modification? Go for it!

Picture of 2014 aluminum cover vs. a plastic 2013 cover in silver:

CB4ME,

I bought this aluminum sprocket cover and mine didn't come with any bolts. I mounted it with the stock bolts and swapped the rubber grommets from the plastic sprocket cover to the aluminum one. After tightening those two top bolts my cover wasn't solidly mounted at all. Because those bolts pass through rubber mounts that cover moved a lot. Did you do away with the rubber mounts?

In any event I fabricated a simple aluminum bridge that makes the bottom hole bolt to the engine like the top two, keeps all three rubber grommets, and uses all three stock bolts. Now that bad boy is rock solid with no dummy bolt holes.

I'll put up a new "Chip Beck Spec" thread with pictures and instructions in a couple days. Cheers.

Chip

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
03-30-2015 12:10 AM
CB4ME Offline
Road Warrior

Maryland
Chip - I had asked Mr. T to provide 3 silver bolts to match the aluminum cover (not knowing only 2 bolts lined up). I didn't use the rubber grommets from the plastic cover.

I may be the first one to steal your new innovation with the aluminum bridge. While my sprocket cover is very solid, I never liked the idea of a dummy bolt on the CB.

03-30-2015 02:49 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
I'll look forward to your post explaining the third bolt mod Chip. I have the aluminum cover on my 2013 with the dummy bolt and I'd rather have a more solid mount.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
03-30-2015 06:46 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Talk about dreaming of owning something . . .The ferret — 01:42 PM
Oh no, gone....I've ridden this bike. I . . .misterprofessionality — 01:40 PM