Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
crankshaft balancer backlash adjustment
kDiqq Offline
1st Service Completed

Houston
RE: transmission balancer backlash adjustment
Balance shaft was adjusted perfectly before :/ rattle is loud as ever. Goes away when fully hot though.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

Alright. I know I'm posting a ton but my poor girl, she clatters. I should have made a video... but I tried isolating the noise. If I put my stethoscope anywhere on the pan, the clatter is real light... except for the two tabs that stick down! It's insanely loud there!!!! Tried to look up a parts diagram. If you look at the pic posted, it's right under the tab marked '1'. There is a hole near there. What's behind that? Is my oil pump making all this noise? This is for sure as close as I could get externally. She may be going back to the shop now that the condition is reproducible Sad

Ä°mage

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2014 06:11 PM by kDiqq.)
08-27-2014 05:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lord Popgun Online
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Just for info. When the 13s first came out, a guy on the UK board had a bad chatter like this. The dealer apparently had to (apparently) change out the balancer. They were pretty vague about the whole thing (to the owner), but it was done under warrenty by direction of Honda. There was even a thread about adjusting the balancer and I posted the manual procedure, or most of it...

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2014 06:18 PM by Lord Popgun.)
08-27-2014 06:16 PM
dlhmatt Offline
1st Service Completed

Orlando
Mine has almost 11k miles. The balancer was set on 2 and you can hear it rattle, i could adjust to 5 to make it whine. 3 to 4 sounded like the sweet spot though. So i went for the "less is more" approach. I'll let it warm up from cold in the morning and then give it 20 miles to work. Too bad I am not in Texas. I'd like to hear it.

(08-27-2014 06:16 PM)popgun Wrote:  Just for info. When the 13s first came out, a guy on the UK board had a bad chatter like this. The dealer apparently had to (apparently) change out the balancer. They were pretty vague about the whole thing (to the owner), but it was done under warrenty by direction of Honda. There was even a thread about adjusting the balancer and I posted the manual procedure, or most of it...

Must have been to tight from the factory based on what the FSM says.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2014 06:26 PM by dlhmatt.)
08-27-2014 06:23 PM
kDiqq Offline
1st Service Completed

Houston
Well I will grab a video of the whole warm up process. Its about 5 min but I would like to show the dealer. I really hope it can all be done under warranty... luckily there is a dealer here that does an awesome job and really takes care of people. part of me wishes it had no warranty so I could justify pulling the pan and taking pictures and posting my diagnostic!

08-27-2014 06:35 PM
dlhmatt Offline
1st Service Completed

Orlando
Ok so after my test ride into work today here is what adjusting my balancer resulted in:
Less vibrations while riding
Not as much of the chain slack feeling when you let off the throttle and get back on. My throttle cables and chain are both adjusted properly.
Annnnnnnd the thing I'm most stoked over is a quieter shifting transmission.

http://youtu.be/bMvNZl-lmcA
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2014 07:01 AM by dlhmatt.)
08-28-2014 06:38 AM
Firstfour Offline
1st Service Completed

St. Augustine, FL
(08-28-2014 06:38 AM)dlhmatt Wrote:  Ok so after my test ride into work today here is what adjusting my balancer resulted in:
Less vibrations while riding
Not as much of the chain slack feeling when you let off the throttle and get back on. My throttle cables and chain are both adjusted properly.
Annnnnnnd the thing I'm most stoked over is a quieter shifting transmission.

Interesting. I have read a bunch of complaints about such issues, and have always scratched my head, since my bike has none of them. At all. Wouldn't it be something if this relatively simple balancer adjustment was the cure for those that do!
08-28-2014 07:05 AM
dlhmatt Offline
1st Service Completed

Orlando
The video is filmed in a little alcove behind my work so it still sounds loud but when you are riding its just like new. The second to third gear shift and back down got loud on mine after a thousand miles or so. My balancer had so much room for adjustment i was worried but after the ride today I'm back to being thrilled about this bike.
08-28-2014 07:24 AM
Andor Offline
Break-In Period

Italy
I also noticed on my cb a noise when the engine is running at low speed, I thought it was the timing chain or the valve clearance adjustment to adjust, but checking well I realized that the noise came from the lower part of the engine and listening closely I found the cause, the Interior exhaust catalyst came off, in fact cold motion its steel casing the tightensbut when heats up and expands with the exhaust gas pressure low manages to move causing noise, guando you accelerate .... i have more exhaust gas pressure and hold still. .... now I don't know what I'll do to fix it, maybe flue gas taglieròlo and I'll dig it out, or I'll change the whole exhaust system complete without catalyst.

Hi Angelo
08-28-2014 09:44 AM
dlhmatt Offline
1st Service Completed

Orlando
(08-28-2014 09:44 AM)Andor Wrote:  I also noticed on my cb a noise when the engine is running at low speed, I thought it was the timing chain or the valve clearance adjustment to adjust, but checking well I realized that the noise came from the lower part of the engine and listening closely I found the cause, the Interior exhaust catalyst came off, in fact cold motion its steel casing the tightensbut when heats up and expands with the exhaust gas pressure low manages to move causing noise, guando you accelerate .... i have more exhaust gas pressure and hold still. .... now I don't know what I'll do to fix it, maybe flue gas taglieròlo and I'll dig it out, or I'll change the whole exhaust system complete without catalyst.

Hi Angelo

That sounds like kdiqq should look into that also.
08-28-2014 11:44 AM
kDiqq Offline
1st Service Completed

Houston
RE: crankshaft balancer backlash adjustment
I will try anything. The only thing that's alarming is that my stethoscope picks it up right on the oil pan... something is contacting the oil pan... hopefully it's something simple like exhaust.

08-28-2014 02:04 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was almos . . .Lord Popgun — 03:56 PM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
I put Spring air in my bike tires… :DLord Popgun — 03:55 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
There could always be worse headlines . . .Gone in 60 — 03:10 PM
Todays weather
Today was overcast and it reached about . . .GoldOxide — 02:53 PM
That is very pretty! I'm a bit chal . . .GoldOxide — 02:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
First time out this season now that Iâ . . .GoldOxide — 02:43 PM
Let's see your CB1100 out on the road!
Yikes A-man! Glad to read you sailed th . . .GoldOxide — 02:39 PM
That is very pretty! I'm a bit challeng . . .Gone in 60 — 02:15 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,531
» Latest member: Tom the mod
» Forum threads: 15,992
» Forum posts: 330,379

Full Statistics