Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Its a crap shoot with this Bike
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
Its a crap shoot with this Bike
I have never owned a bike that changes each time you ride. Sometimes the bike is very low on vibs in the tank, pegs and bars and there are other times when this bikes has much more noise. Throttle response is spot on regardless of this but i can't figure out what causes the excessive vibration at times. The vibs are never in the seat and when you pull in the clutch its smooth as glass so its the motor. Its never to the point that you think there's a problem with the motor just annoying as heck. Amazing how it can go from smooth to buzzy just stopping for gas.
Its done this from when it was new with no mods.

Edit: A buddy of mine just bought a Ninja 1000 and we switched bikes yesterday for awhile, he thought the CB handled great in comparison to the older CB's but asked if its always a bit buzzy, i told him ride it tomorrow and it may be gone Smile

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014 05:37 AM by The ferret.)
10-08-2014 04:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Firstfour Offline
1st Service Completed

St. Augustine, FL
RE: Its a crap shoot with this Bike
Mine doesn't have any varying feel, as far as I can perceive.
10-08-2014 04:46 AM
HikerToo Offline
Road Warrior

Delaware
I forget, did you switch out your handlebars and remove the balance weights inside?
Although that would not account for the variable buzziness...
10-08-2014 05:39 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I'm only at 7500 miles, but I am amazed how smooth this bike is every time I ride it, but then I know I don't ride in the rpm ranges that you do either. I'm rarely above 3000 and almost never above 4 and never have been above 5.

Smooth as butter all the time.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
10-08-2014 05:45 AM
Motogeezer1949 Offline
High Mileage

Winter Park Florida
I'm with Ferret on the vibe stuff. Smooth as can be. I haven't experienced any perceived vibe issues, tank, bars, pegs - and I ride a lot. And, I've been up in the rpm ranges.
I'm used to v-twins though so I may have built up a tolerance Smile
CIP57, any particular gear or speeds where you experience the annoyances more than others?

The ferret Jim Lucia, aka Motogeezer 1949
2010 BMW R1200RT
2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRS ABS
Past: Cafe'd 2014 CB1100DLX.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 60th. Anniversary
10-08-2014 06:04 AM
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
(10-08-2014 05:45 AM)The ferret Wrote:  I'm only at 7500 miles, but I am amazed how smooth this bike is every time I ride it, but then I know I don't ride in the rpm ranges that you do either. I'm rarely above 3000 and almost never above 4 and never have been above 5.

Smooth as butter all the time.

I never have time to feel it up in the higher RPM range, there is to much going on there. This is felt with normal riding with shift points between 3500-4000RPMS Above 5000 it tends to flatten out.

(10-08-2014 06:04 AM)Motogeezer1949 Wrote:  I'm with Ferret on the vibe stuff. Smooth as can be. I haven't experienced any perceived vibe issues, tank, bars, pegs - and I ride a lot. And, I've been up in the rpm ranges.
I'm used to v-twins though so I may have built up a tolerance Smile
CIP57, any particular gear or speeds where you experience the annoyances more than others?

Moto,

I feel it the most at about 4000prms ( 70 ) on the highway. Sometimes its smoother than others at this RPM

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014 06:11 AM by CIP57.)
10-08-2014 06:07 AM
cbfan Offline
1st Service Completed

Texas
Being a retired aircraft mechanic I was sometimes tasked with fixing vibrations/"buzzing" at different power settings. Nine times out of ten I would find chaffing conditions in the engine compartment. Check your bike out to assure there is no metal on metal contact anyplace. I have an FJR and installed engine guards with highway pegs, at installation I didn't catch the peg bracket was chaffing some plastic.................at certain speeds I would get a minor buzzing sensation...........repositioning the bracket cleared it.
10-08-2014 06:28 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Cbfan has a point. Now that I think about it on my gen 1 FZ-1 at certain rpms, the inner fairing covers would vibrate against the outer fairing and that could be felt thru the bars. The fix was a piece of sticky backed foam wedged between the inner and out fairings. Buzz gone.

Have you tried it without your windshield?

Defender of the Realm
10-08-2014 06:37 AM
Gypped Offline
1st Service Completed

I've found mine to be very vibey most of the time, to be honest. When I first bought the bike last year, I had planned on putting a LOT of miles on it.. but I'm just taking it in this morning for the 8k service (they threw in a prepaid maint plan, 2 years unlimited miles, everything covered but tires and brake pads).

Unfortunately, my hands go completely numb in about 45 minutes on the backroads or highway, or in about 20 minutes with city riding. It doesn't seem to come through the tank or pegs much, just the bars. I've tried re-positioning the bars, making sure the dampers and bars were set up properly, and new bar end weights - none have helped much.

I actually bought a N1k about 2 months ago as well, spectacular bike but a bit too much to trust myself with on my daily commute. I work nights, and the stock lights were absolutely terrible. Even replaced, it's way too easy to ride too fast for them.
10-08-2014 06:38 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
One of the common complaints about the Ninja 1000 is that they are vibey. Strange that it doesn't bother you but the CB does.

Defender of the Realm
10-08-2014 06:40 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Broken indicator lens
Powerdubs, I like your thinking!Dave — 10:01 AM