Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Its a crap shoot with this Bike
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
RE: Its a crap shoot with this Bike
(10-08-2014 06:55 AM)CIP57 Wrote:  There was a post i responded to (can't remember the thread) where a member said his older CB750 felt less vibs then our bikes.

Yeah, that was me. I found it particularly interesting since the CB750 is not equipped with bar end weights for vibration damping.

I've been experimenting for the last few weeks and have been finding that typical cruise rpms on the CB11 (around 4K) is where the buzz is most prominent. At one point last week I noticed that the bike seemed like it was running smoother. That's when I looked down and noticed that I'd neglected to shift into 5th gear (again!) and the bike was humming along at 5K rpm in 4th.

As I posted previously, having owned many vibier (is that a word?) twins, the CB11's buzz isn't much of an issue with me.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
10-08-2014 10:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Its a crap shoot with this Bike
I don't worry too much about the vibes, but I did notice today that there's a distinct vibration at 3,500 rpm which has largely gone at 4,000 rpm.
10-09-2014 01:47 AM
Gypped Offline
1st Service Completed

As far as grip changes, I've tried the stock with & without grip puppies, pro grip 699 with & without grip puppies, and Oxford heated grips which are currently on there (with & without the grip puppies Rolleyes ). Unfortunately, none have made much difference.

I haven't been able to narrow down the rpm range it's worst at, but if most people feel that around 3500ish is bad, I'll see if I can stay over 4k or below 3k. I'm pretty sure I do spend most of my time between 3 and 4, just due to the fact that the majority of my riding is in-city commuting.

I've had a couple v-twins before, and while my Warrior initially caused some numbness, ISO grips took care of that completely. The v-4 in my Royal Star Tour Deluxe has never caused me an issue, nor has my fiance's Sportster, even though that thing shakes like a wet dog.
10-09-2014 05:36 AM
ClassicVW Offline
High Mileage

New Jersey, USA
Just a thought, but if some bikes bother you and the Sportster (!) and others doesn't, maybe it's not a vibration issue. Maybe it's a bike's handlebar length, angle, or height? Try the different bikes and pay close attention to your arm/wrist angle when riding. Apologies if I'm stating what you already are aware of.

On the subject of bar end weights, I do not understand them at all. I went on a 500 mile weekend trip last year on a BMW CLC, and about 100 miles into the trip on an interstate, I noticed that my left end weight was gone. I was all sorts of worried, imagining terrible vibes and handlebar wobbling for the next 3 days. The bottom line was, I never even felt or noticed anything.

--George
[i]"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day that you find out why" [/i]-- Mark Twain
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 07:31 AM by ClassicVW.)
10-09-2014 06:52 AM
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
Some of you may remember the cast of my rear wheel having a run out issue.
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1091

The lower run of my chain when relaxed and spinning the wheel has high and low spots about 1/8 to 1/4". Not sure if its a sprocket issue or wheel that's causing this, i have spun a few new CB on the showroom floor and they run true.

When the bike has a small amount of pressure on the driven flange the chain is not true ( cruising speed), once throttle is increased it wouldn't matter with the damper rubber picking up the slack.

I tighten the chain today to about 1/2", it still out but almost true, a bit to tight for me so I backed it off to about 5/8 a more comfortable level.

The Buzz was down to what I would call a good level. I stopped several times with no affect or increase in vibration. I'm wondering when the chain gets hot if there's more action causing more vibration in the final drive.

In any case I'm going to order a new sprocket to see if I can get a true line on the chain.

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
10-09-2014 11:00 AM
OldF7Guy Offline
Running Like a Top

(10-08-2014 10:05 PM)Flynrider Wrote:  
(10-08-2014 06:55 AM)CIP57 Wrote:  There was a post i responded to (can't remember the thread) where a member said his older CB750 felt less vibs then our bikes.

Yeah, that was me. I found it particularly interesting since the CB750 is not equipped with bar end weights for vibration damping.

I've been experimenting for the last few weeks and have been finding that typical cruise rpms on the CB11 (around 4K) is where the buzz is most prominent. At one point last week I noticed that the bike seemed like it was running smoother. That's when I looked down and noticed that I'd neglected to shift into 5th gear (again!) and the bike was humming along at 5K rpm in 4th.

As I posted previously, having owned many vibier (is that a word?) twins, the CB11's buzz isn't much of an issue with me.

Flynrider, my 750 has a slight buzz at 61 mph or about 4100 rpm. Does yours? Its not terrible but you notice it. I feel it through the grips mostly. Otherwise, its as smooth as butter.

2003 Honda 750 Nighthawk
2013 Honda CB1100
10-09-2014 07:15 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
(10-09-2014 07:15 PM)OldF7Guy Wrote:  Flynrider, my 750 has a slight buzz at 61 mph or about 4100 rpm. Does yours? Its not terrible but you notice it. I feel it through the grips mostly. Otherwise, its as smooth as butter.

I haven't noticed it, but then again my typical highway speed is usually above 70 mph. I'll give it a try this weekend and get back to you.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
10-09-2014 07:48 PM
Dave Offline
High Mileage

San Diego, ca
My 2014 deluxe vibrates less than my 1976 CB750F, but much more than my VFR800. The vibration level on the CB is nothing objectionable, but my wife and I have both commented that riding any distance on the freeway is much more comfortable on the VFR. The CB seems to transmit much more high-frequency vibes through the seat, which makes the ride uncomfortable rather quickly. Maybe a better seat would help? I keep the RPM between 3k and 4k when on the freeway.
10-09-2014 08:05 PM
Dakota Offline
1st Service Completed

Eastern South Dakota
I find the bike to be completely uniform. It is me that is inconsistent. Sometimes, I am tired and more bothered by the bike's nuances; other times, I am fresh and excited and don't notice. I really feel that the notion the bike is chaotic to be a bit misguided. It is NOT as comfortable as other bikes with better seats and different riding positions which makes it much more sensitive to the rider. Why do you feel the vibration could be different? It is mechanically the same mass moving around every time.
10-10-2014 04:02 PM
gossman Offline
Running Like a Top

Poverty Gulch, Oregon
I wear motorcycle gloves with pads in the palms. I have had several motorcycles that some have reported on forums problems with buzziness. My opinion is that there are those who have different tolerances to rpms and that quality gloves make a difference.
10-10-2014 10:16 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
2024 East Coast Rally - Official Thread
Good afternoon all, Well, the East . . .TooSlo — 09:15 AM
The OEM rack "How To" thread doesn't match t...
Reviving a necro thread, 'cause there' . . .TooSlo — 09:06 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
Tube tires are well used on the Africa T . . .GoldOxide — 08:27 AM
I literally, yesterday, put on a T32. br . . .m in sc — 07:52 AM
2021 Guzzi V7 Special
TooSlo, you really dig in this forum t . . .TooSlo — 07:17 AM
might be technically fine, but IMHO th . . .TooSlo — 07:14 AM
Milestone Thread (Take 2)
Go Django! Interesting it doesn’t sa . . .Django — 11:40 PM
Sundays with Cheryl