Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hansen Dam ALL British Ride... and So Cal CB Gathering
TINK Offline
Running Like a Top

So Cal
Say everyone in Southern California, let's meet up at the Hansen Dam ride...

November 2nd

35th Annual Hansen Dam ALL British Ride

Don’t miss this one of a kind Southern CA event!…over 500 motorcycles, mostly British classics. Foothill Blvd. off of the CA-210 to Osborne Street to Drunfield Avenue, we’ll be in the lower parking lot. Ride departs Hansen Dam at 10AM, come as early as you can to take it all in.

http://socalnorton.com/wp/calendar/

http://www.photosbytink.com/hansendam12/

TINK

2017 WR250R (Dual Sport)
2014 CB1100 Deluxe
2009 ST1300 (Iron Butt)
2000 VFRF800Fi (5th Gen)
1979 BMW R100S "The Ultimate Motorcycle"

[url=http://www.photosbytink.com/]photosbytink.com[/url]
10-25-2014 10:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
grover Offline
Running Like a Top

Dallas, TX
You SoCal guys always gotta rub it in... Smile

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-25-2014 11:55 AM
metallyguitarded Offline
Road Warrior

United States
RE: Hansen Dam ALL British Ride... and So Cal CB Gathering
I just mapped it out and Hansen Dam is about 2.5 hours from me. If I hit the road by 6:30am, with a couple stops to stretch my legs, relieve my bum, and at least one fill up, I should get there by around 9:30am. What happens at the ride? I can't imagine all 500 motorcycles hit the road. Or do they? Then do they come back and make a day of it? Do only the British classics do the ride or are we invited to participate? I'd love to check out all the bikes but would hate to get there and only have half an hour before everyone takes off then another 2.5 to 3 hours to get home.

"People are more violently opposed to fur than to leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs." - A. Sayle
10-27-2014 08:40 AM
metallyguitarded Offline
Road Warrior

United States
Okay, in case anyone else is as ignorant as I am but wise enough not to publish that fact on a public forum, let me help you by attaching the following link: http://www.motorcycle.com/events/25th-an...-2167.html

That is just one of many articles written on the Hansen Dam All British Ride and it answered all my questions and made me even more excited to go! And, yes, just about all 500 motorcycles go on the ride. Insane.

"People are more violently opposed to fur than to leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs." - A. Sayle
10-27-2014 09:42 PM
metallyguitarded Offline
Road Warrior

United States
Today was quite the day! We were supposed to hit the road at 6am to make it up in time before the start of the ride with enough time to meet a couple friends for breakfast in Laguna Beach. We got a late start. I'm not blaming anyone but let's just say someone felt it necessary to do their makeup and hair before hitting the road. Hint: I have very little hair and my makeup days are long behind me. We did meet up for breakfast with a friend from the VFR forum and his wife at the Penguin Café. Why it's named the Penguin Café remains a mystery but their egg sandwich and potatoes were pretty good. The coffee warmed us up too. Here in Southern California we're not quite used to temps in the 40's! After breakfast, we said our goodbyes and as I looked at the clock on the CB (and subtracted an hour) I realized it was going to be really tight to get to Hansen Dam in time.

The CB had plenty of power even with two up. I almost couldn't tell my wife was behind me except for the fact that we had some Scala Rider communication devices attached to our helmets that kept us busy. For the most part, my wife listened to her music and I listened to the road. We actually made pretty good time and just after 10 were exiting off the 210 anxiously looking for the Dam and all the bikes I was so looking forward to seeing. Just off the freeway, in a parking lot, was a gathering of about 60 to 70 bikes. That seemed awfully small considering the fact that hundreds were expected. I thought maybe groups of them had already left seeing how we were late. I didn't even realize that the parking lot I was pulling into wasn't Hansen Dam at all. As I followed the signs that read, "Event Parking" I was greeted by a young lady who asked, "Are you here for the ride?" I smiled in my helmet thinking we weren't too late after all and said, "You bet we are!" She pointed me in the direction I was to go park and register.

As we rode towards the back of the lot and parked I had this sinking feeling in my gut. Harley, Harley, Harley, Harley Three Wheeler, a couple of old Triumph Thruxtons and a Bonnie. A few sport touring bikes... No other CB1100s. We were definitely in the wrong spot. Oh well, by then, we were really late. I didn't want to risk leaving where we were to go find the All British Ride only to not find it or find it too late. We decided to ride with this group. It was a charity ride for homeless outreach. We registered and paid our donations then joined the group. I was disappointed that we had missed the All British Ride but decided to make the most of it. The ride along the Angeles Crest Highway was amazing! With the number of riders, it was at a relaxed pace that allowed us to really appreciate the breath taking views. There was a stop at Newcomb's Ranch where a band was playing and a BBQ was going. We stayed for just a bit then made our way back down through the canyons.

Determined to find that dam, I took out my phone, studied the map and off we went. It was shortly after 3pm by the time we got to the right spot and sadly, most of the bikes were gone. Still, we very much needed to stretch our legs and give our bums a rest so we walked through the parking lot and checked out the few bikes that remained. I took a few pics and after about 15 minutes or so, we began our long ride home. It's so much longer coming home! All in all, a 370 mile day. My wife is a trooper. She did tell me the seat wasn't very comfortable and her knee is bothering her from the ride and she would really like a back rest (I wish she hadn't seen all those Harleys with their big sofa cushions for seats). I told her this this company called Corbin that makes a seat that I can add a back rest to when she rides with me but take it off when I'm alone. She said that sounds perfect. She didn't ask how much they cost and I didn't volunteer. I'm feeling surprisingly good for that much time in the saddle.

So, next year, I'll know where it's at and I'll get there early. My wife is undecided if she'll be going again. I think this was quite a trip to be her first ride on the CB and hopefully, a new seat will convince her that it's something she'd like to do again. If not, I'll fly solo which is how I normally ride anyway. Thanks TINK for posting about this ride. I'm bummed I "missed" it but happy for the experience nonetheless. Here are some of the photos I was able to take:

Can you spot the CB in this sea of cruisers?

Okay, so they weren't all Harleys. That's a Ducati in the background and I don't remember what that is in the very foreground, an FJR?

Here we are trying to play it off like this was always our plan. "Of course we'd like to help the homeless!" (Thinking to myself, "I can't believe I'm such a bafoon!")

And then a few of all that remained when we finally found what we had ridden all that way to find...

And the last one - some real horsepower came riding through the parking lot.

11-02-2014 08:22 PM
TINK Offline
Running Like a Top

So Cal
Well, I made it to the Hansen Dam All Brit ride, but I rode my ST1300... sorry CB1100 fansRolleyes
I saw one CB1100 with a custom seat (would have been "2" If I had not flaked out).
Just to add some excitement to the day, My ST1300 battery decided this was the day it would die, 100 miles from home. But I did manage to bump start her and get her home okay.

Here's a couple of shots I took. I'll be putting together a slide show to post to my web page photosbytink.com later this week.

TINK

2017 WR250R (Dual Sport)
2014 CB1100 Deluxe
2009 ST1300 (Iron Butt)
2000 VFRF800Fi (5th Gen)

11-03-2014 03:04 AM
TINK Offline
Running Like a Top

So Cal
FINALLY finished my slide show > http://www.photosbytink.com/hansendam14/

The only CB1100 I say was this one with the custom seat... anyone going to claim ownership?

TINK

2017 WR250R (Dual Sport)
2014 CB1100 Deluxe
2009 ST1300 (Iron Butt)
2000 VFRF800Fi (5th Gen)

11-24-2014 07:11 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Love your work, Tink.
11-25-2014 12:35 AM
TINK Offline
Running Like a Top

So Cal
It's not "work", just a hobby. I'm retired and forgot what the word work means. Tongue

(11-25-2014 12:35 AM)Cormanus Wrote:  Love your work, Tink.

2017 WR250R (Dual Sport)
2014 CB1100 Deluxe
2009 ST1300 (Iron Butt)
2000 VFRF800Fi (5th Gen)

11-25-2014 03:07 AM
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
I'm having coffee in my office this morning and what a treat to look through this pictures. Beautiful day to get some great shots. Big smile looking at the Blue Yamaha 650 which i believe was a 1975. I had a black and a blue not sure which was the 75 and 76 . How about the Honda Ford Van in the foreground. The CB looks like it could use a front brake fluid change but could just be the lighting and angle. Anyway, thanks Tink for the photo'sThumbs Up

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
11-25-2014 04:44 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Sundays with Cheryl
Alright Cheryl's back riding. Been waiti . . .The ferret — 06:23 PM
Sundays with Cheryl
I enjoy your stories, MTC. I think it's . . .pdedse — 05:10 PM