Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
VFR Fever, Again
metallyguitarded Offline
Road Warrior

United States
RE: VFR Fever, Again
(02-20-2015 07:36 AM)the_undecider Wrote:  I suspect I may be coming down with the fever. I have long admired the 800, but seems that some are not too enamored with the 2002+ vtec version. I considered getting a new leftover 2005 in 2007 when I worked at a Honda dealer. The ergos weren't quite right, but some tweaks may well have helped that. Ended up with a used FJR which I traded a couple years later. Never was able to get comfortable throwing that big bike around in the twisties.

The older gear driven cam Interceptors sound so freakin good. The V4 just has such a cool sound signature at full song. Despite that all, something about the newer 1200 is calling to me. I haven't sat on one in a while, so I can't recall how the ergos compare to the 800. I have seen some low mileage 2010 models around $7k which makes it tempting. That would probably mean letting go of the CB which is a bitter pill.

I guess you could say that while I had (and have) the VFR800 in my garage, I was afflicted with a serious case of CB Fever. Yesterday, I rode the VFR to work just to stretch her legs. The acceleration and the sound really is a step or two above the CB. But the ergos. Man, I'm getting old.

Before you ditch the CB for the VFR12, I'd suggest you visit one of the VFR forums and see what others love and complain about: http://vfrworld.com/forums/forumdisplay....10-Present Personally, I would never give up the CB for one but we're all different. Makes this world interesting, right?

Also, check out this site: http://cycle-ergo.com/ You can choose the three bikes (or more) then plug in your height and inseam and you'll see a graphic representation of the ergos plus angles for forward lean, knees and hips. As you'll see, the difference between the VFR800 and VFR1200 is slight.

The 1200 was not one of the more popular VFR models by Honda. With some searching, I bet you can find a new or slightly used one for a great price. Hopefully, such a great price that you can afford to keep the CB! Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Edit: I just realized I may be asking too much to have you let us know what you decide.

"People are more violently opposed to fur than to leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs." - A. Sayle
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2015 09:19 AM by metallyguitarded.)
02-20-2015 09:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the_undecider Offline
Running Like a Top

Texas
Thank you for the info, MG.

I sat on a VFR12 yesterday and found the ergos to be ok.it felt better than the later model 800. Maybe it was this bike being a 2013 black model and it had a huge screen with laminar lip and a funky Givi trunk rack, but I was not enamored with the bike. The red 2010 models are just so much prettier. It didn't make me keep thinking about the bike afterwards. It certainly hasn't given me the desire to sell the CB at this point. Maybe a test ride might sway me. The CB still makes me feel good when I so much as look at it walking past it in my garage.

I really like having 2 bikes. My V-strom is my go to bike for long rides, carrying gear, and riding in more adverse conditions. If times got tough, but not so tough I could keep one bike, the Strom would be the most sensible to keep. That being said, I have less emotional attachment, I would probably keep the CB because it tugs on my emotions more and would be harder to replace if I ever tried to do so. Financially, I can't justify another bike purchase and I also don't have the space. So, if I buy another bike, it's replacing one I already have. Finding one to replace the CB is a rather tall order.

2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Honda CRF450L
2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
02-22-2015 08:48 PM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
Ya, the 2010 was a very pretty bike. My put off was the silly looking speedo. I like round analog gauges with a good looking proper font. KTM's are the worst offender to my eye, the VFR was not much better. Kinda of a silly thing to be picky about, but I like my instruments to look good since I'll spend a fair amount of time looking at them. More than looking at the bike, so it needs a good looking front office. And a comfortable seat.

The odd thing about having the Griso and the CB, they both make the other bike look good. The CB has a nice smooth inline four which really is a plain vanilla when it comes to engine personality. Where as the Griso has this locomotive feel to it . Very visceral. The Honda is light on her feet and very easy to steer in the parking lot and in the twisty bits. The Griso loves the fast sweepers and is very confidence inspiring. One feeds my inner gentleman, the other, the inner hooligan. They are not unlike bookends.

The 650L lets me play in mud. Angel

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
02-23-2015 07:07 AM
Jim21680 Offline
Running Like a Top

Philadelphia, PA
Good Grief! Lately, the 2015 VFR has caught my eye, as it is one sweet bike. No, no, I have no plans of ditching my beloved CB, but there's not much in the way of picking up a second motorcycle, if I really wanted to...

Well, my casual browsing came to an abrupt end when I got a few insurance quotes. I pay about $300 a year for the CB, but the VFR would cost me almost 4 times that! What the heck is going on in the world that would justify that rate for a "sport tourer"?

So, that's just one more to the many reasons that I truly enjoy owning a CB1100.
If Honda decides to bring the VFR800X stateside, I'm really hoping it's a more affordable bike. That's just ridiculous!
08-08-2015 06:47 PM
DGShannon Offline
Running Like a Top

Pearland, Texas
(08-08-2015 06:47 PM)Jim21680 Wrote:  Well, my casual browsing came to an abrupt end when I got a few insurance quotes. I pay about $300 a year for the CB, but the VFR would cost me almost 4 times that! So, that's just one more to the many reasons that I truly enjoy owning a CB1100.

Low insurance is absolutely a plus. Just renewed with Progressive yesterday for $241 bucks for the year.

I feel a lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 05:53 AM by DGShannon.)
08-11-2015 05:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kmoney Offline
High Mileage

Vancouver, BC
(08-11-2015 05:53 AM)DGShannon Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 06:47 PM)Jim21680 Wrote:  Well, my casual browsing came to an abrupt end when I got a few insurance quotes. I pay about $300 a year for the CB, but the VFR would cost me almost 4 times that! So, that's just one more to the many reasons that I truly enjoy owning a CB1100.

Low insurance is absolutely a plus. Just renewed with Progressive yesterday for $241 bucks for the year.
I get so sad when I hear Americans talk about insurance rates. For my CB in British Columbia, insurance is $1050 for third party (including 47% safe driving discount) + $560 for coll/comp from a third party. Stupid socialized insurance.
08-11-2015 09:21 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.
... quite true Mr. P., even long after t . . .GoldOxide — 07:10 PM
Broken indicator lens
I’ve lost several of the earlier large . . .PowerDubs — 05:16 PM
Tire Options for our CB1100