Thread Rating:
  • 10 Votes - 4 Average
Tools you'll need
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Tools you'll need
Andy here is what I carry under the seat ( see post 1)

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....t=Tool+kit

You have to ask yourself "what are my personally capable of fixing on the side of the road? " Personally I can adjust the chain, lube it, check tire pressure, change a fuse, remove a battery, and fix a flat with the stuff I carry and that is all I would hope to need to be done on the road. I have spent a week on the road 2 separate times, on my CB's and the only thing I needed to do was lube the chain once midweek after riding in the rain on the first trip and nothing on the second trip.

I carry the flat fixing kit in a tail pack or tank bag. (see post 29 in this thread for that). i have squeezed it under the seat but it's a tight fit, so I carry it in another bag. I only carry it when on out of state trips.

Oh and I have AAA plus RV which would tow me 100 miles if it were a serious breakdown ( which I couldn't fix on the side of the road anyway)

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
12-05-2014 07:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AndyHe Offline
1st Service Completed

WA State
Thanks, that thread is very helpful.
12-07-2014 11:06 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
+1 on these tool-related threads being very helpful.

So, it's getting to be Christmas time and it appears that my son wants us to do some of our own wrenching on "his" CX500 that I just purchased. These two things have pushed me to getting "him" some tools for a Christmas gift.

I have read this thread and it has given me a good list of tools. Now here comes the controversial question: What brand? I want durability and high quality, but I don't want to spend a fortune. I have received tools from Harbor Frieght as gifts and they have been junk for the most part, but maybe they carry higher quality items, too. On the other hand, years ago Snap On was THE brand, but they cost more than the car I was working on at the time. Where should I go for my best tool value?

Let the arguments begin! LOL

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
12-08-2014 07:36 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Hard to beat Craftsman. I think they still have a lifetime guarantee. Booger one up and take it in they hand ya a new one.

Since you will be working on an older bike I highly recommend an impact driver. If you don't know what that is, it's a spring loaded tool. Put the Phillips head bit in. Stick it in a stuck screw, twist, put some inward pressure on it, and give it a healthy whack with a big ol hammer. If you try unscrewing them with a screwdriver all you'll do is strip the heads and have to use a chisel and hammer to get them out. PB blaster is a good accessory for your impact driver. Spray the screw the night before you want to work on it.

http://local.sears.com/Craftsman-Impact-...01xlpla#!/

BTW as previously noted somewhere Japanese didn't really use Phillips, they developed their own called JIS (Japanese industrial standard) which has a shallower slot but you won't find jis bits for an American impact driver. If you find your Phillips twisting out grind about 20 thousandths off the tip.

http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tools/sc...ducts.html

Defender of the Realm
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 07:57 PM by The ferret.)
12-08-2014 07:50 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
I was thinking Craftsman, myself. Thanks for the tip on the JIS/impact issue. I am going to buy a set of JIS screwdrivers. I'll keep that in mind.

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
12-08-2014 07:59 PM
metallyguitarded Offline
Road Warrior

United States
(12-08-2014 07:50 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Since you will be working on an older bike I highly recommend an impact driver. If you don't know what that is, it's a spring loaded tool. Put the Phillips head bit in. Stick it in a stuck screw, twist, put some inward pressure on it, and give it a healthy whack with a big ol hammer. If you try unscrewing them with a screwdriver all you'll do is strip the heads and have to use a chisel and hammer to get them out. PB blaster is a good accessory for your impact driver. Spray the screw the night before you want to work on it.

Here's a great little trick I learned a couple months back when I had unfortunately stripped a Phillips head screw in ... I can't even remember what ... but it was done. I had tried a hand held screw driver. When that didn't work, I tried a flat blade. When that failed, I resorted to a corded drill with a Phillips head attachment. That pretty much removed what remained of the butchered edges leaving me, uh, screwed. I thought I would have to drill it out and even made an attempt at it only to get more frustrated. I resorted to my good friend YouTube and found one of those "life hack" videos with cool tips to solve problems such as this.

You simply place a normal rubber band across the stripped head of the screw, push it in place with your electric drill and reverse it out. The rubber band grabs that screw so effectively that I couldn't believe it! It immediately backed it out. I was so happy and in disbelief with how effective it was, I wanted to tell everyone but knew I'd seem like an idiot telling people who had no immediate need for the information. So, ferret, thanks for providing me this outlet. I feel much better now.

Of course, I don't expect any of you to go and strip all the heads on all your screws just so you can try this, but file this little nugget away and you'll be happy you did.

"People are more violently opposed to fur than to leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs." - A. Sayle
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 08:03 PM by metallyguitarded.)
12-08-2014 08:02 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
More info on jis

http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a-P...-Standard/

Defender of the Realm
12-08-2014 08:02 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Good info. Thanks.

I have a small set of screwdriver bits and it actually included a couple of JIS bits, they are too big for most applications

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 08:31 PM by EmptySea.)
12-08-2014 08:29 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(12-08-2014 08:02 PM)metallyguitarded Wrote:  Here's a great little trick I learned a couple months back when I had unfortunately stripped a Phillips head screw in ... I can't even remember what ... but it was done. I had tried a hand held screw driver. When that didn't work, I tried a flat blade. When that failed, I resorted to a corded drill with a Phillips head attachment. That pretty much removed what remained of the butchered edges leaving me, uh, screwed. I thought I would have to drill it out and even made an attempt at it only to get more frustrated. I resorted to my good friend YouTube and found one of those "life hack" videos with cool tips to solve problems such as this.

You simply place a normal rubber band across the stripped head of the screw, push it in place with your electric drill and reverse it out. The rubber band grabs that screw so effectively that I couldn't believe it! It immediately backed it out. I was so happy and in disbelief with how effective it was, I wanted to tell everyone but knew I'd seem like an idiot telling people who had no immediate need for the information. So, ferret, thanks for providing me this outlet. I feel much better now.

Of course, I don't expect any of you to go and strip all the heads on all your screws just so you can try this, but file this little nugget away and you'll be happy you did.

MG, you don't happen to have a link to the YouTube video do you?
12-08-2014 10:22 PM
metallyguitarded Offline
Road Warrior

United States
(12-08-2014 10:22 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 08:02 PM)metallyguitarded Wrote:  Here's a great little trick I learned a couple months back when I had unfortunately stripped a Phillips head screw in ... I can't even remember what ... but it was done. I had tried a hand held screw driver. When that didn't work, I tried a flat blade. When that failed, I resorted to a corded drill with a Phillips head attachment. That pretty much removed what remained of the butchered edges leaving me, uh, screwed. I thought I would have to drill it out and even made an attempt at it only to get more frustrated. I resorted to my good friend YouTube and found one of those "life hack" videos with cool tips to solve problems such as this.

MG, you don't happen to have a link to the YouTube video do you?

I took a quick look to see if I could find the exact video that I watched but now I'm not sure if it was one video or a combination of them that led me to try this method. A search on YouTube for "remove stripped screw" turns up all kinds of methods including the rubber band trick I successfully used as well as using a deflated balloon (same concept) or duct tape (again just placing it on top of the screw). I came across one video that purported to "debunk" the removal of a screw with a rubber band but I swear, it worked perfectly for me! I don't know that the videos themselves were all that great at showing the technique but they inspired me, in my desperation, to give it go. Now, if someone would have filmed the ridiculous look on my face when it actually worked, that would have made for some quality instruction.

"People are more violently opposed to fur than to leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs." - A. Sayle
12-08-2014 11:59 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Broken indicator lens
I’ve lost several of the earlier large . . .PowerDubs — 05:16 PM
Tire Options for our CB1100
Great looking bike! Love those gold w . . .mvk24 — 03:25 PM
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.