Thread Rating:
  • 10 Votes - 4 Average
Tools you'll need
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Tools you'll need
I'm putting this in here, but also starting a separate thread. The CB 1100 takes special one off spark plugs designed for this bike. made by NGK they carry the designation LMAR8A-9S Honda part number 31908-MGC-003 and takes QTY 4. The bodies on these plugs are extremely thin as are the threads which are also extremely long at 26.5 MM or just over an inch.

The plugs are expensive at $19.99 each and it's highly unlikely your dealer will stock any so they will probably need to be ordered. A standard spark plug wrench is not going to work well given the small confines of the area to work in. However Motion Pro makes a thin walled 14MM narrow plug wrench that uses a 1/4" ratchet, a 13 mm box end wrench or a 14 mm box end wrench socket or T handle to loosen and tighten. It also has a rubber ceramic gripper up inside. Your dealer can get this from one of his suppliers or you can order it directly from Motion Pro (thanks to HondaJon post #35 for the tip)

This pic illustrates just how small these plugs and tool are, On the left is a standard spark plug socket next to the Motion Pro Unit.
On the right is a standard spark plug next to the plug used in the CB 1100. Gap .031-.035 using a wire type feeler gauge is recommended.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2015 05:10 AM by The ferret.)
06-12-2015 10:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
eastmachinery Offline
New To The Forum

new york,usa
Like, good detail, hoping to learn something
06-25-2015 01:40 AM
Headbanger02 Offline
Running Like a Top

Indiana
Enlightening (is this even a word) thanks for the pic's Ferret, learn something new everyday....
09-01-2015 04:36 AM
veech Offline
Running Like a Top

Chicago Area
Thanks for the spark plug socket tip Ferret. Just ordered one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291326886922
09-01-2015 07:42 AM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
It's oil change time and I located an inexpensive "cap style" oil filter wrench at the local Walmart. It's a Fram #FM101, about $3.00. 65-67mm, 14 flutes. Snap it to your 3/8" extension and ratchet and you're good to go.

Edit: This wrench fits the OEM filter perfectly. I don't claim that it will fit any aftermarket filters.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2016 09:45 PM by LongRanger.)
02-16-2016 09:23 PM
riceburner Offline
1st Service Completed

pa
(01-28-2014 10:01 AM)redbirds Wrote:  Thanks for listing the tool selection, very handy especially for making my take along tool roll. For me, a lift is essential kit for home bike maintenance and Harbor Freight's lift is hard to beat for the price. Be sure to get the HF front wheel chock also as the one supplied for the lift is not the best.

(06-12-2013 03:40 PM)The ferret Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 01:31 PM)meowguy Wrote:  A great thread and thanks to the ferret for giving us this.

One thing I am a stickler on is the proverbial torque wrench. You really need to include two of them in your list. You will need one that goes from from 0 to 250 inch pounds and another to take you up to at least 80 foot pounds. That's a nice looking 32mm above, but what's missing?

You just cannot do the job properly without knowing you are torqued correctly.

Geez on nearly every motorcycle board there is a big argumentative thread about the merits and demerits of using torque wrenches. most everyone will agree that when rebuilding a motor, a torque wrench is required. There is never an agreement on the value of torquing dry threads vs wet threads, or whether the value assigned by the engineers is even reasonable in many cases. Oil drain bolts, oil filters, and rear axle nuts come to mind. Torque some oil filters to spec and you may never get them off again. Many seemingly experienced wrenches will regal horror stories of stripped nuts and bolts when bolts are torqued to spec with a torque wrench.

My advice is use a torque wrench if it makes you more comfortable and use feel it that makes you more comfortable. To each his own. I own two like yoou advise. Sometimes I use em, some times I don't. Haven't stripped anything and nothing has fallen off so Im comfortable both ways.

I second that. An improperly calibrated torque wrench can cause some real problems and torquing oil filters to the manufacturer's specs is a sure way of not being able to remove it next oil change. I've always hand tightened oil filters and have never had one leak. If you torque the oil drain plug be very careful that your wrench is calibrated and always use a new sealing washer. Over-tightened drain plugs can mean a cracked oil pan as aluminum is not as forgiving as steel. Please don't ask how I know this.

So Redbirds,really dig the picture of your living room with the 2 bikes and the mc lift in it.How'd you talk your wife into that?Thumbs Up
07-06-2016 08:24 PM
Sam Mac Offline
Running Like a Top

Galax VA
Can one of you tell me what tools came with your bike? I'm wondering if I am missing something. All I got was a screw driver, a fuse puller and an allen wrench.

Thanks in advance.
07-11-2016 07:23 AM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
And that's all you get in the US.

You can buy the rest though.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
07-11-2016 08:05 AM
Sam Mac Offline
Running Like a Top

Galax VA
(07-11-2016 08:05 AM)popgun Wrote:  And that's all you get in the US.

You can buy the rest though.

At least they put them in a plastic bag, LMAO

Luckily for me I have a good selection of tools in my shop. Also have a killer lift that came out of the Harley factory in York PA. I use it primarily to work on Garden tractors, my other hobby.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2016 08:16 AM by Sam Mac.)
07-11-2016 08:13 AM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Or just make one up from what you have... Smile

Man, your CB looks a lot different than mine Wink

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
07-11-2016 08:18 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
no kidding....that's just a picture too. . . .misterprofessionality — 07:34 AM