Thread Rating:
  • 10 Votes - 4 Average
Tools you'll need
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Tools you'll need
(06-11-2013 01:31 PM)meowguy Wrote:  A great thread and thanks to the ferret for giving us this.

One thing I am a stickler on is the proverbial torque wrench. You really need to include two of them in your list. You will need one that goes from from 0 to 250 inch pounds and another to take you up to at least 80 foot pounds. That's a nice looking 32mm above, but what's missing?

You just cannot do the job properly without knowing you are torqued correctly.

Geez on nearly every motorcycle board there is a big argumentative thread about the merits and demerits of using torque wrenches. most everyone will agree that when rebuilding a motor, a torque wrench is required. There is never an agreement on the value of torquing dry threads vs wet threads, or whether the value assigned by the engineers is even reasonable in many cases. Oil drain bolts, oil filters, and rear axle nuts come to mind. Torque some oil filters to spec and you may never get them off again. Many seemingly experienced wrenches will regal horror stories of stripped nuts and bolts when bolts are torqued to spec with a torque wrench.

My advice is use a torque wrench if it makes you more comfortable and use feel it that makes you more comfortable. To each his own. I own two like yoou advise. Sometimes I use em, some times I don't. Haven't stripped anything and nothing has fallen off so Im comfortable both ways.
06-12-2013 03:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jmc1100 Offline
1st Service Completed

New Hampshire
Just installed SW-Motech crash bars. My shop manual hasn't arrived yet,I don't want to over torque. Does anyone have the values for the front engine mount and the 2 frame mount fasteners that indirectly tie the engine to the frame with a bracket. I'll have to learn how to post pictures...I know that would help. Anyway Twisted Throttle shipped them in 2 days..Good company,and great Forum!!! Thanks
06-24-2013 05:57 AM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
(06-24-2013 05:57 AM)jmc1100 Wrote:  Just installed SW-Motech crash bars. My shop manual hasn't arrived yet,I don't want to over torque. Does anyone have the values for the front engine mount and the 2 frame mount fasteners that indirectly tie the engine to the frame with a bracket. I'll have to learn how to post pictures...I know that would help. Anyway Twisted Throttle shipped them in 2 days..Good company,and great Forum!!! Thanks

Check out this Thread. The torque spec pages are posted

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=348

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
06-24-2013 06:41 AM
jmc1100 Offline
1st Service Completed

New Hampshire
Thanks Popgun,I'll wait for the manual, I want to see a picture of the fastener location and its value..The right side bolts were not as tight as on the left side.I torqued to 30ft lbs only for now..Don't want to damage anything..
06-24-2013 11:16 AM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
He's using the clicker in his elbo........

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
06-30-2013 04:58 PM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Thanks for listing the tool selection, very handy especially for making my take along tool roll. For me, a lift is essential kit for home bike maintenance and Harbor Freight's lift is hard to beat for the price. Be sure to get the HF front wheel chock also as the one supplied for the lift is not the best.

(06-12-2013 03:40 PM)The ferret Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 01:31 PM)meowguy Wrote:  A great thread and thanks to the ferret for giving us this.

One thing I am a stickler on is the proverbial torque wrench. You really need to include two of them in your list. You will need one that goes from from 0 to 250 inch pounds and another to take you up to at least 80 foot pounds. That's a nice looking 32mm above, but what's missing?

You just cannot do the job properly without knowing you are torqued correctly.

Geez on nearly every motorcycle board there is a big argumentative thread about the merits and demerits of using torque wrenches. most everyone will agree that when rebuilding a motor, a torque wrench is required. There is never an agreement on the value of torquing dry threads vs wet threads, or whether the value assigned by the engineers is even reasonable in many cases. Oil drain bolts, oil filters, and rear axle nuts come to mind. Torque some oil filters to spec and you may never get them off again. Many seemingly experienced wrenches will regal horror stories of stripped nuts and bolts when bolts are torqued to spec with a torque wrench.

My advice is use a torque wrench if it makes you more comfortable and use feel it that makes you more comfortable. To each his own. I own two like yoou advise. Sometimes I use em, some times I don't. Haven't stripped anything and nothing has fallen off so Im comfortable both ways.

I second that. An improperly calibrated torque wrench can cause some real problems and torquing oil filters to the manufacturer's specs is a sure way of not being able to remove it next oil change. I've always hand tightened oil filters and have never had one leak. If you torque the oil drain plug be very careful that your wrench is calibrated and always use a new sealing washer. Over-tightened drain plugs can mean a cracked oil pan as aluminum is not as forgiving as steel. Please don't ask how I know this.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2014 10:34 AM by redbirds.)
01-28-2014 10:01 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(01-28-2014 10:01 AM)redbirds Wrote:  Over-tightened drain plugs can mean a cracked oil pan as aluminum is not as forgiving as steel. Please don't ask how I know this.

If this were an episode of Get Smart someone would have to ask: "How do you know this?"
01-28-2014 07:00 PM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
(01-28-2014 07:00 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  If this were an episode of Get Smart someone would have to ask: "How do you know this?"

Mate, tooo goodClap
01-28-2014 07:31 PM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
We came "this close" to finding out.

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
01-28-2014 08:47 PM
The Spaceman Offline
Road Warrior

First Amendment Street
Credit card, AAA Membership card, three-pack condoms, 3 gold Sovereigns, and 8 ounces medicinal alcohol.

Go hagofuku yourself.
01-29-2014 11:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974