Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cycle World December '14 Comparison
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
RE: Cycle World December '14 Comparison
(11-11-2014 05:48 PM)Novice Wrote:  I am curious about the limiter though. I wonder why Honda put such a restrictive one on it? Is there an engineering reason or just a safety reason?

Not that I can find, the bike is stable up to 140 mph with no issues it's a restriction for the Asian market that they where to lazy to remove from the ECU

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
11-11-2014 06:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
And agreed again, Novice. We all choose our bike(s) according to our needs at the time. Those needs are often a mixture of objective and subjective. Me, with no CB, I would have a close look at the R Nine T. Funnily enough neither the W800 or the Bonneville appeal. I have already in the shed a '61 Bonneville, a little neglected but even in good shape something I treasure for nostalgia (another subjective choice) rather than pure riding pleasure.

I have, in my 70th year, gone beyond performance bikes. Twenty years ago I rode a 'Blade and loved it. Hot stuff then but definitely not what I want now. I would say that the vast majority, if not all, of forum members who have a CB are well aware of its capabilities, or lack thereof. Those that have been let down by their expectations, or whose needs have changed, have generally sold and moved on, some still maintaining contact with the community of forum members. Their posts still remain on the record to give balance to that record. Others delight in aftermarket performance enhancement. Good on them, I read their posts with interest and pleasure. I value their input much more than affirmation from professional reviewers, no matter how interesting their views.

Cheers
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2014 06:31 PM by Pterodactyl.)
11-11-2014 06:29 PM
nhawk7504 Offline
Running Like a Top

Boston
The CB1100 is for getting on and relaxing after a day at work or whatever it is that stresses you out. It's motorcycle yoga. Meditation. It's not about performance nor about comparisons. It's simply about the character of an inline four, air cooled motor, with wheels and a seat. The whole top end argument and rev limiter thing is nonsense. It was literally NOT engineered for that. It was engineered for torque from 1000 to 3500 rpms. Old biplanes, like the one in the CB1100 ad video, can fly at 50 mph. It is about design. Simplicity.
12-24-2014 09:18 AM
kevbroce Offline
Running Like a Top

Burbank, Ca
(12-24-2014 09:18 AM)nhawk7504 Wrote:  The CB1100 is for getting on and relaxing after a day at work or whatever it is that stresses you out. It's motorcycle yoga. Meditation. It's not about performance nor about comparisons. It's simply about the character of an inline four, air cooled motor, with wheels and a seat. The whole top end argument and rev limiter thing is nonsense. It was literally NOT engineered for that. It was engineered for torque from 1000 to 3500 rpms. Old biplanes, like the one in the CB1100 ad video, can fly at 50 mph. It is about design. Simplicity.

That's weird, my CB like to drag it's pegs, check that the speed limiter still works and has been know to get the front wheel off the ground at times...
12-24-2014 10:27 AM
Mike Bee Offline
1st Service Completed

Oregon, USA
(11-11-2014 05:48 PM)Novice Wrote:  <SNIP> I am curious about the limiter though. I wonder why Honda put such a restrictive one on it? Is there an engineering reason or just a safety reason? <SNIP>

The limiter and the oil cooler's purpose is to keep heat under control. The CB1100 is an air cooled, lean-running bike. Honda engineers are just being cautious.

~ The Bee
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2014 10:45 AM by Mike Bee.)
12-24-2014 10:44 AM
Dharma_Jones93 Offline
Break-In Period

Ohio
(12-24-2014 10:44 AM)Mike Bee Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 05:48 PM)Novice Wrote:  <SNIP> I am curious about the limiter though. I wonder why Honda put such a restrictive one on it? Is there an engineering reason or just a safety reason? <SNIP>

The limiter and the oil cooler's purpose is to keep heat under control. The CB1100 is an air cooled, lean-running bike. Honda engineers are just being cautious.

~ The Bee

Bee you took the words right out of my mouth. I'm new to this bike but I've had bikes in the past that have purposely had the tak stop at 8,000, not because that was the limit, but psychologically to keep the driver from consistently putting the bike into revs that would harm the motor. We can see from others that without the limiter it can really put out some great performance, but we do so at the risk of damaging the engine (as little as that might be). But the potential is there. It is likely a failsafe on Honda's part to discourage that kind of riding that would otherwise result in warranty claims. So, you can push the engine if you want, but Honda says do it at the cost of voiding your warranty, et cetera...
07-09-2015 09:46 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM