Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Safety Gear..Discuss here
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Safety Gear..Discuss here
Please see posts #15 and #16 for information on how this content ended up in the gear section. Thanks.

This one is smooth, but a little jerky on take-off...

[size=medium]

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 09:45 AM by The ferret.)
11-30-2014 06:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
RE: valve timing inaccuracy?
(11-30-2014 06:34 PM)Guth Wrote:  This one is smooth, but a little jerky on take-off...

Wow that bike has great acceleration eh?

Cheers
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2014 09:41 PM by Pterodactyl.)
11-30-2014 09:39 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(11-30-2014 09:39 PM)Pterodactyl Wrote:  Wow that bike has great acceleration eh?

Amazingly so. Also amazing is the fact that the guy involved in the mishap only suffered minor cuts and bruises. I'll stick with my rough/slow CB1100. Big Grin

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
11-30-2014 11:12 PM
DGShannon Offline
Running Like a Top

Pearland, Texas
(11-30-2014 06:34 PM)Guth Wrote:  This one is smooth, but a little jerky on take-off...

And again, we must say, "no helmet"! All the gear, all the time.

I feel a lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
12-03-2014 04:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Randy B Offline
Road Warrior

Palm Bay FL
(12-03-2014 04:28 PM)DGShannon Wrote:  

And again, we must say, "no helmet"! All the gear, all the time.

OK.....I get that helmets save lives. Mine probably saved mine earlier this year, but I am getting really tired of seeing all the preaching about gear. We are all adults here and are reasonably capable of making our own decisions. I see this stuff on another board I frequent and it has just worn on me. It's kinda like that Jesus guy on the corner with the bull horn.....you can't ignore him because he's yelling at you WITH A BULL HORN and you just want to rip it out of his hands....yeah...it's like that.

Let people ride their rides. If something happens to them due to their decision to wear gear or not, it's on them. I hate the fact that I am forced to wear a helmet, but I have always owned one. Sometimes I wore it and sometimes I didn't...my choice....and that's how it should be.

Seeing all this preaching has worn me VERY thin and I don't think we need it here. We are a good group of guys talking about a bike we love. Lets not ruffle feathers berating someone for making a choice. The resistance it causes is just not worth it.

Sorry Guth and Ferret.

/rant.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2014 10:14 PM by Randy B.)
12-03-2014 07:03 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I agree with you Randy, but I usually catch a bucket when I say so. I even catch a bucket when admitting I sometimes wear an open face or 3/4 helmet, or a modular even, or T shirt and jeans and gymmers, so I just don't participate when the subject comes up. I'm certainly not the smartest guy in the room, but I figured after nearly 50 years of street riding, I know what the dangers are, and have earned the right to face those dangers dressed as I see fit.

On the other hand I do think riders are much better off wearing gear. I am just respectful enough to acknowledge that adults have the right to make their own decisions. Smoke if you want, drink if you want, eat fatty foods if you want, lay around on the couch and veg if you want, realize that every choice has consequences, and if you can live with the consequences of those decisions, I'm good with it.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2014 08:06 PM by The ferret.)
12-03-2014 07:25 PM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
^^^^. Yes, yes, yes. And you too Randy. If I want to wear ATGATT, and I mostly do, I'll wear it. If I don't, I won't. Just keep the doo-gooders off my back. Speaking of which, I have been tossing up wether to pack my leathers for May. In light off the fact I will be riding some challenging roads, and on the "wrong" side, I think I will. Bulky, though I could amaze the cabin crew by actually wearing them on the flight. Just tell them I'm a pessimist by nature might be a good line Smile.

Cheers
12-03-2014 08:47 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
I guess I'll join in on the ATGATT comments. A) people should wear gear B) people can do whatever they want within the prevailing laws and C) Lack of gear generally does not contribute to the cause of the crash, but it can contribute to the severity. I'm not sure at all that a helmet would have reduced the rider's injuries in the video, but I am sure that we'd still be talking about the craziness of the crash even if he was. Oh..I guess I have a D, too: wasn't this thread about valve timing?

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
12-03-2014 09:44 PM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
(12-03-2014 07:25 PM)The ferret Wrote:  I agree with you Randy, but I usually catch a bucket when I say so. I even catch a bucket when admitting I sometimes wear an open face or 3/4 helmet, or a modular even, or T shirt and jeans and gymmers, so I just don't participate when the subject comes up. I'm certainly not the smartest guy in the room, but I figured after nearly 50 years of street riding, I know what the dangers are, and have earned the right to face those dangers dressed as I see fit.

On the other hand I do think riders are much better off wearing gear. I am just respectful enough to acknowledge that adults have the right to make their own decisions. Smoke if you want, drink if you want, eat fatty foods if you want, lay around on the couch and veg if you want, realize that every choice has consequences, and if you can live with the consequences of those decisions, I'm good with it.
The problem here is that those people not taking care of themselves are asking society to pay for the consequences of their life style.
My wife is a oncology nurse and sees hundreds of thousands of tax dollars spend on people making bad choices for years and than expect the medical world to come up with a miracle cure.
12-04-2014 04:50 AM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
(12-04-2014 04:50 AM)Houtman Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 07:25 PM)The ferret Wrote:  I agree with you Randy, but I usually catch a bucket when I say so. I even catch a bucket when admitting I sometimes wear an open face or 3/4 helmet, or a modular even, or T shirt and jeans and gymmers, so I just don't participate when the subject comes up. I'm certainly not the smartest guy in the room, but I figured after nearly 50 years of street riding, I know what the dangers are, and have earned the right to face those dangers dressed as I see fit.

The problem here is that those people not taking care of themselves are asking society to pay for the consequences of their life style.
My wife is a oncology nurse and sees hundreds of thousands of tax dollars spend on people making bad choices for years and than expect the medical world to come up with a miracle cure.

Very true. We really shouldn't be taking risks, such as riding a motorcycle, when seat belts, airbags, side impact protection, etc is available in a motor car, or SUV. it costs society dollars.

Cheers.
12-04-2014 05:27 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
no kidding....that's just a picture too. . . .misterprofessionality — 07:34 AM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
It's fun to read all these comments... . . .peterbaron — 07:18 AM