Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Safety Gear..Discuss here
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Safety Gear..Discuss here
DG..just because you have a different opinion on a given subject than someone else is no reason to leave. If that were the criteria NONE of us would be here.

Discussion is good as long as you are not so locked into your position that you can't really listen to and and at least contemplate another's position. That doesn't seem to be the case between you and I assume Randy's position on gear (judging from the above post) which actually seem similar. You both seem to support freedom of choice, but unfortunately it just happened to be your post that drove Randy over the edge this time. I understand your "personal position" may be ATGATT while others may not. No big deal. it has come up before, it will come up again.

Like oil, tires, and a myriad of other subjects it seems to fall into 2 camps. neither is completely wrong, neither is completely right. Although there is disagreement, there is also room for agreement in both camps. Disagreeing doesn't HAVE to be disagreeable.

I don't think anyone on this site is ANTI GEAR. I think there are many on this site who just want to make up their own minds about how much of which type of gear they wear at any one time.

I am usually geared up pretty well, like yesterday's ride..Full face helmet, armored jacket, armored pants, motorcycle specific boots, motorcycle specific gloves, I even had my Flo Yellow green safety vest on.( having worked the last 25 years in the highway safety field, it's something I believe in, and advocate, but don't preach about). But there may be an 85 degree day next summer where I will be wearing an open face helmet, CB1100 t shirt, pair of jeans, some gym shoes, and be bare handed for a ride out here in the country. I just want to wear what I want to wear without somebody telling me I'm wrong for it.

I'm sure you feel the same.

No need to run off.

Deep breath everyone, and lets continue. Dialog is the foundation of a forum, is it not?

BTW over on the ADV forum, this discussion would be a full on flame war by now. You guys are great!

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 12:28 PM by The ferret.)
12-05-2014 12:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DGShannon Offline
Running Like a Top

Pearland, Texas
(12-05-2014 12:10 PM)The ferret Wrote:  DG..just because you have a different opinion on a given subject than someone else is no reason to leave.

I just want to wear what I want to wear without somebody telling me I'm wrong for it. I'm sure you feel the same.

Absolutely. Hard line to tell someone else they are "wrong"! I am more in the camp of "unwise". As in, really unwise to jump on your high horsepower drag bike, attempting to show off, with ZERO gear on! I personally can't see too many of those reminders. No intention to offend any members here, so my apologies.

I feel a lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
12-05-2014 12:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Beer All good DG. ( tea in my glass please)

Defender of the Realm
12-05-2014 12:53 PM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
When it comes to rules I'm fond of the apartment analogy. You move into a place; all by yourself, no rules, come and go as you please, dress, or not, as you please. Let dishes stack up. The bathroom plug up. Fart, scratch and belch until the cows come home.

Then you get a room mate for whatever reason, but typically to save a few bucks. Now you have to have rules because they have their own food, look even worse than you naked and god help you if they are a neat freak.

So you keep adding people (who knows why, it's what we seem to do). More people, same resources, more rules. Gotta have the rules to keep you from killing each other. Sure it tramples on your rights but you have twenty people living in a space designed for three so it's more rules so you can get along or you get rid of the roommates.

Same goes for clubs, cities, counties, countries and our planet. Cops don't like picking up red mist off the road when some squid decides to test his body mass inertia against the back of truck or the side of guard rail. People don't like paying for something if they can help it (like long term bed care because you did something to make yourself a vegetable) so they pass rules to avoid the expenses. Do personal freedoms get stepped on? Sure. On the whole we tend to look at it as a trade off. I pay more for cars and accept the forced use of seat belts because there are times, completely out of my hands where I'm in a crash and I don't want physics and my car trying to kill me.

It's the trade off of living in a crowded modern society. Don't like it; get rid of your roommates.

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
12-05-2014 01:11 PM
Randy B Offline
Road Warrior

Palm Bay FL
RE: valve timing inaccuracy?
(12-05-2014 11:42 AM)DGShannon Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 07:03 PM)Randy B Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 04:28 PM)DGShannon Wrote:  And again, we must say, "no helmet"! All the gear, all the time.

OK.....I get that helmets save lives. Mine probably saved mine earlier this year, but I am getting really tired of seeing all the preaching about gear. We are all adults here and are reasonably capable of making our own decisions.

I fully support freedom of choice, so please feel free to skip over all my posts if you find me so offensive to your personal taste. I know I skip your signature line, that offends me.

"They've got so many caveats built into that "offer" that Jesus Christ couldn't qualify for it if God co-signed"

Like you, I have opinions. We all do. I expressed my perspective in regards to the guy in the video. Don't see your name mentioned anywhere. The fact that you somehow chose to associate yourself with the habits of the guy in the video, and my related comments, is on you.

You have some special right to "rant" your opinion about how I (and others) should not express theirs? As recently expressed in another thread to Tortuga, everyone should feel free to go elsewhere if they don't like what goes on here. Guth/Ferret also reserve the right to toss anyone out.

Guth/Ferret? - If I don't fit in here, and need to go. Just say the word.

It's all good man. I'm not "against" you in any way, it's just a nerve thing is all.

And my sig line was a direct quote from someone else that I found funny is all.

As a group we are a good bunch and there is not a lot of infighting, and that is a good thing. As Ferret said disagreements happen, but no need to get in a bunch about it. I'm over it. Hello Beer
12-05-2014 02:14 PM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
I have an opinion , but at least it is the right opinion.
( but that is my opinion )
12-05-2014 05:16 PM
DGShannon Offline
Running Like a Top

Pearland, Texas
RE: valve timing inaccuracy?
(12-05-2014 02:14 PM)Randy B Wrote:  It's all good man. I'm not "against" you in any way, it's just a nerve thing is all.

No Worries!

I feel a lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
12-06-2014 06:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Carguy1959 Offline
Running Like a Top

Mobile Al
So, after reading all the posts in this thread, I must confess I ride to work everyday in shorts and a short sleeve shirt. I do wear a helmet, half and sometimes full depending on the weather. I do wear boots. They are part of my work uniform. When not working, I wear a pair of Vans. I ride in traffic and back roads. I am also 56 years old and in good fiscal shape and health. I need to be comfortable when I am on my bike. I live in a very warm climate, Mobile, Al. That being said, I have had my share of wrecks and spills. I am very aware of my surrounding when I am riding. The general public is made up of self absorbed idiot drivers on their cell phones, putting on makeup, or what ever that is more important then what is going on a round them and I watch everyone of them, it gives me amusement while I am doing what I love most, riding.
09-17-2015 07:33 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
You appear to be old enough to make up your own mind and cognizant of the consequences of your choices, so ride on, and be safe!

Defender of the Realm
09-18-2015 03:59 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.
Yeah... kinda agree with TooSlo. A year . . .Gone in 60 — 09:31 AM