Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Steering shake.
NightRider Offline
Running Like a Top

Tennessee
RE: Steering shake.
A speed related bounce or shake can be an off balance wheel on cars as well as cycles. My 14 with alloy wheels and bridgestone tires do have stick on weights that can come off individually or all together which will trigger this issue. Just like a car, you would take it to the dealer and have her checked for proper balance, even a slight miss-adjustment can triggger these issues you describe.

2014 CB1100 Black Edition - FOUR EVER
01-31-2015 11:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
(01-31-2015 11:25 AM)Waffa Wrote:  I had a slight shimmy 50 down to 35mph nothing big, installed the Superbrace and now is shakes so violently the front tire bounces of the ground and air gets into the brake cylinder. Bleeding the brakes today.

I like riding with no hands to relax, but I can't with the "super"shakes.

G'day Waffa. Hope your problem is resolved. Was the Superbrace installed incorrectly? Or did you have a separate suspension or tyre/wheel problem? I find difficulty imagining how violent those shakes must have been. I have ridden my CB over several kilometres of dirt road so corrugated that the suspension could not possibly soak up the vibration, bringing the front tyre out of contact between the corrugations, and me with a bad case of eyeball bounce :0 . Yet no air (or foaming) of the brake fluid.

After some time cruising I have a (bad) habit of, on deceleration for a stop, taking my hands off the bars and holding them by my sides for a short period. This gets the blood back where it should be and brings my aged wrists and hands back to life. One of the sets of tyres I have had on my CB, can't remember if it was the Dunlops or the Bridgies, would produce a slight wobble, or shimmy, as described by other posters, but the Michelins seem to track straight. I think this wobble condition is a combination of bike set up and tyre balance/wear. I recall that some years ago, riding an early Fireblade, that I wouldn't take my hands off the bars for a millisecond on deceleration. As this was the first "modern" sports bike I had ridden, I accepted it for a few months but after a trip to the dealer for service, some adjustments were made; problem gone.

Let us know the outcome.

Cheers
02-06-2015 05:04 PM
Dave Offline
High Mileage

San Diego, ca
As the miles build up (8,500 now) on my 2014 Deluxe the head shake has become worse. I took my hands off the bars this morning at about 45 mph to zip up my jacket and I thought I was going to crash because the bars starting shaking violently. I have the original tires on the bike. While the rear tire is near the end of its life, the (center) tread on the front tire looks like it could go another 4k - 5k miles. However, the front tire shows severe, uneven wear - exactly the same I experience on my 1976 CB750F (the CB750F head shakes also, a problem I have never been able to eliminate). I'll replace the tires and check the steering head bearings on the 1100 soon and see it that makes a difference.
10-10-2015 07:42 AM
mininsx Offline
Running Like a Top

Central Kentucky
I agree with Ferret. I've had a lot of different bikes since the seventies (yeah, I'm old) and some bikes do it and some don't. It doesn't mean that there's anything wrong. My CB1100 doesn't do it, my CBR1000RR doesn't, and my Concours 14 didn't do it, then it did, then I got new tires and now it doesn't. The ferret

'13 CB1100
'08 Concours 14
10-10-2015 08:15 AM
Motogeezer1949 Offline
High Mileage

Winter Park Florida
Besides the prior reasons given, there is another. If running radials and one hits a pot hole, bump, curb or the like, hard enough, the impact can compromise the bond between the steel strands and the encasing rubber, in the area of impact. You won't be able to see it or tell in any way, other than while riding. The air pressure, along with the bond keeps uniform tension throughout the circumference of tire allowing for stability. When that bond becomes inconsistent, a shake can be initiated. This off balance shake then can easily induce a wobble. The tire is ruined and replacement called for.

The ferret Jim Lucia, aka Motogeezer 1949
2010 BMW R1200RT
2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRS ABS
Past: Cafe'd 2014 CB1100DLX.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 60th. Anniversary
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2015 12:07 PM by Motogeezer1949.)
10-10-2015 12:06 PM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
Hey Waffa, you still have the "Supershakes"? If not, what did you track it to?

Cheers
10-10-2015 04:01 PM
Toddman Offline
1st Service Completed

Norman, OK
If you've had the tires on for, say, 3-4k, the front tire will always develop a "scallop or dips" in the tire. Every bike that I've owned, especially the new sportbikes, will scallop the front tires. Makes 'em shake. Usually comes from using the front brakes in a sporting fashion.
It just happens.

If your tires are new, check the runout of the the front tire bead, balance and then some tires just suck. lol.

To add, if you have a tube in there, it's gonna shake no matter what. I've never gotten a tubed tire sufficiently balanced.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2015 06:56 AM by Toddman.)
10-12-2015 06:53 AM
ryanschillinger Offline
1st Service Completed

Crescent City, California
Hate resurrecting old threads, but I've been noticing this handlebar wobble on my bike. If I let go of the bars, they start to wobble back and forth, getting progressively worse. I only have about 1800 miles on the bike I think, but the front Dunlop already looks to be cupping. I don't think I'll ever use Dunlops again if a new tire fixes it, but should I contact the dealer about the uneven tire wear so soon? The original tires on my last bike were Dunlops, and the front cupped by 7k miles bad enough to be replaced, and the rear wore out before that.
10-27-2016 07:30 PM
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
mine has this shake at about 45-50 MPH. thought it was just mine and the tires. was so bad the mirrors shook but after balancing both tires it is better but not gone. got the bike with 2K miles and now has 3300 , all this is with new Avon Roadrider tires.

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
10-27-2016 08:08 PM
ryanschillinger Offline
1st Service Completed

Crescent City, California
Hmm. None of my previous bikes did this. Anything I should be concerned about? Maybe talk to the dealer about it?
10-27-2016 08:12 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM