Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.67 Average
Michelin Pilot Road 3s...I joined the club
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Michelin Pilot Road 3s...I joined the club
I know that Pterodactyl and I replaced tyres at around the same time. He put PR3s on and I put on BT45s. I've put another set of BT45s on and, so far as I know, his PR3s are still going strong. I suspect we've done roughly the same sort of mileage.

Somewhere on this forum is a post of his extolling their virtues, but I can't find it at the moment.
12-11-2014 02:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
RE: Michelin Pilot Road 3s...I joined the club
I have around 12,000kms on the RP3s and couldn't be happier with their performance. I would, however, take issue with ES in that, in my case at least, some concern may be warranted with clearance. On the '10 model the standard tyre clearance from the right side of the centre stand is approximately 12.5mm. With the RP3S this was reduced to 7mm.

(12-10-2014 08:40 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  ........ Yes, the rear is wider and that causes unwarranted concern about clearance .......
(My bold)

Now, being the cautious type when mucking about with stuff I know very little about, like frame flex and tyre sidewall flex, I decided that the minimum clearance I would accept would be 12.5mm. In a previous post my reasoning went something like this:

Quote:After fitting the pads and new tyres I was concerned with the clearance between the rear tyre (now 160/60) and the right side foot of the centerstand. With the 140/70 standard tyre the clearance is approximately 12.5mm (.5in). This was now reduced to about 7mm. Probably enough. But not enough to remove images in my overactive imagination of the rear tyre, at high speed, contacting the centerstand and bringing it down. Could be nasty. I thought about bending the right side of the stand out. There is not a lot of length between the foot and centerstand cross brace so a substantial bend would be required over a short distance. I then decided to remove the centerstand and cut the inside of the foot down to achieve at least a 12mm clearance.

Foot after surgery and a squirt of Kill-rust black paint.

Centerstand back in place. The clearance is now about 17mm. Imagination now at rest.

In that previous thread there was also some discussion regarding rim size and 160 tyre compatibility. And on this thread. I think that can be put to bed as there has been some serious mileage (and kilometerage) without an issue arising from wheel and tyre combination.

In short, performance and wear with the RP3s is good. I would recommend them. As far as centre stand clearance is concerned, well I guess maybe I was overcautious, but relaxed.

Cheers.
12-11-2014 03:17 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
OldF7 I have not had a chance to form any opinions of the PR3s on the CB as of yet..approx 50 miles on new rubber in 30 degree weather, but I ran thru 2 sets of PR3's on my ST. Got 11,100 out of the first rear and 11,200 out of the second. At that mileage both tires looked all lumpy like Fred Flintstone tires due to the dual compounds wearing at different rates. My stock Dunlops were headed that direction as well. I think it is a by-product of the different compounds.

On my ST I moved on to Pilot Road 4 GTs but they don't make those in the sizes we need for the CB's. On the first 4 GT on the ST I got 13,243 miles, and it too was all lumpy at the end. Replaced with another PR4 GT. On all these tires the handling suffered the last 1000-1500 miles, with a resistance to lean over and an inability to hold a line thru a corner, plus a slight bar shimmy from the worn front. Nothing scary, you could just feel it. New rubber feels amazing in comparison.

Btw Glen at Sporttour, where I got my tires, said the only reason that rear is available in the PR3 since it's an odd ball size ( like the odd ball rear on our CB's) is that it is a stock size for a certain BMW.

Edit: reading some past threads CA200 mentioned this as well. Late 90's BMW's.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2014 07:54 AM by The ferret.)
12-11-2014 04:26 AM
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
There have been people who question whether these tire fit which i just don't comment to anymore. Yes they fit and are much better than stock tires. The comments preceding the post from P and ES document tire wear. My front Bridgestone was toast at about 3000, I have put 5000 on the Michelin's with no wear except a very small flat spot on the front.

The tire is softer and more comfortable, handle much better over any road surface, wet, dry, tar snakes etc, you never feel like you have to deviate from a line because of road conditions. That was not the cause with stock tires.

As i mentioned in previous posts, the handling is exceptional for this frame and mount.

The CB with these tires handles much better than my ZRX1200 with PP2's, the bike is much more neutral in and out of corners, never the feeling of over or under-steer. I wish I'd changed them out when I first bought the bike.

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
12-11-2014 04:48 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
To be clear, my comment about oversteer was in comparison to the stock tires.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
12-11-2014 05:25 AM
OldF7Guy Offline
Running Like a Top

(12-11-2014 04:26 AM)The ferret Wrote:  OldF7 I have not had a chance to form any opinions of the PR3s on the CB as of yet..approx 50 miles on new rubber in 30 degree weather, but I ran thru 2 sets of PR3's on my ST. Got 11,100 out of the first rear and 11,200 out of the second. At that mileage both tires looked all lumpy like Fred Flintstone tires due to the dual compounds wearing at different rates. My stock Dunlops were headed that direction as well. I think it is a by-product of the different compounds.

On my ST I moved on to Pilot Road 4 GTs but they don't make those in the sizes we need for the CB's. On the first 4 GT on the ST I got 13,243 miles, and it too was all lumpy at the end. Replaced with another PR4 GT. On all these tires the handling suffered the last 1000-1500 miles, with a resistance to lean over and an inability to hold a line thru a corner, plus a slight bar shimmy from the worn front. Nothing scary, you could just feel it. New rubber feels amazing in comparison.

Btw Glen at Sporttour, where I got my tires, said the only reason that rear is available in the PR3 since it's an odd ball size ( like the odd ball rear on our CB's) is that it is a stock size for a certain BMW.

Edit: reading some past threads CA200 mentioned this as well. Late 90's BMW's.

Appreciate your opinion and these tires seem like a good gamble and I will let you all know how that turns out next spring.

2003 Honda 750 Nighthawk
2013 Honda CB1100
12-11-2014 08:54 PM
Ole Offline
High Mileage

Evansville Wisconsin
mr Ferret how about another review of these tires now that you have some more miles on? I am all ears.
03-11-2015 04:41 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Ole' I really don't have many miles on them. Less than 500 I would think. I could look it up. Anyhow I like them so far.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
03-11-2015 06:29 PM
Ole Offline
High Mileage

Evansville Wisconsin
(03-11-2015 06:29 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Ole' I really don't have many miles on them. Less than 500 I would think. I could look it up. Anyhow I like them so far.

Good to know. I ran some Pilot Roads on a Versys and they were good tires. I think I will order a pair.
03-11-2015 07:33 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
If it helps,I'm have about 6 or 7k miles on mine and they look great and still feel great. Love them on wet pavement.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
03-11-2015 07:36 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition