Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.67 Average
Michelin Pilot Road 3s...I joined the club
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
RE: Michelin Pilot Road 3s...I joined the club
(03-11-2015 07:36 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  If it helps,I'm have about 6 or 7k miles on mine and they look great and still feel great. Love them on wet pavement.

Agreed. 16000kms on mine. The rear is just on the wear indicators with the front not far behind. They are the best tyres I have used on the CB. I like the 160 rear, gives the bike a nice feel.

Cheers
03-13-2015 04:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
I ordered a set of PR3's for my 2013, a 120/70-18 for the front which I think is different from what others here have tried. Although 10mm wider the rolling diameter should be similar to the 110/80-18. Hope to have them mounted this coming week and will report on how the front tire works. The OE Bridgestones still look good but for the center tread flat, a result of riding on mostly straight roads.

I've had PR2's on my last two bikes and really liked the extended wear and good wet traction. I hope the PR3's will prove even better.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
04-25-2015 01:49 PM
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
(04-25-2015 01:49 PM)redbirds Wrote:  I ordered a set of PR3's for my 2013, a 120/70-18 for the front which I think is different from what others here have tried. Although 10mm wider the rolling diameter should be similar to the 110/80-18. Hope to have them mounted this coming week and will report on how the front tire works. The OE Bridgestones still look good but for the center tread flat, a result of riding on mostly straight roads.

I've had PR2's on my last two bikes and really liked the extended wear and good wet traction. I hope the PR3's will prove even better.

Let us know the clearance and how those 120's feel.

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
04-26-2015 10:30 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Will do.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
04-26-2015 02:52 PM
Papa Weeley Offline
High Mileage

SoCal
Mickey, any input now that you've had them for a few months? I'd be curious about what you think about handling - stickiness, turn-in, wet and/or dry traction, etc. Any massive improvements, or just a decent alternative to the stockers?

[color=#FFA500][i][color=#32CD32][color=#00BFFF]Ham and eggs - a day's work for a chicken, a life-altering experience for a pig.[/color][/color][/i][/color]
2013 CB1100 #056, with too danged many mods to list.
2015 Honda CB500x
04-27-2015 12:04 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Papa, I love the tires, Probably 2000 miles on them now. I really can't say they have any more traction than the stock Dunlops. I never had an issue with the traction of the Dunlops. I am hoping to get some more mileage out of the PR3s. With the wider rear I think there is a cushion of safety as I was able to get right to the edge on the stock Dunlops but have not been able to on the PR3 and I think it's because of the wider profile. I'm not riding any easier. I'm no Marc Marquez, but I think I ride pretty hard thru the curves. I've not ridden much in the rain and when I do I slow it down and ride more vertical, so I' m not likely to find the tire limits in the wet. Would I give them my endorsement, yes. Will my next set be the PR3's. I believe they will.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
04-27-2015 03:15 PM
huxley2 Offline
1st Service Completed

Shreveport, LA
Good info, the ferret

Always lots of useful stuff here.
04-27-2015 06:07 PM
DAC Offline
High Mileage

Central Ohio, USA
Good report. Anybody try Pirelli Angel GTs? Have heard good things about them too. After using Michelin PR2s in the past, would be nice to try something new.
04-27-2015 06:25 PM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Got the Pilot Road 3's mounted today at my dealer in Jacksonville so I was able to put about 110 miles on them heading home. Not enough miles to really make an evaluation but I do think they ride smoother. Maybe the tires sidewalls are less stiff than the stock Bridgestones. My dealer was unable to order the 110/80 front as their distributor was out of stock so I went with a 120/70 front which has about the same diameter as the 110/80 but 10mm wider.

05-05-2015 06:08 PM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
(05-05-2015 06:08 PM)redbirds Wrote:  ............

(04-27-2015 03:15 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Papa, I love the tires, Probably 2000 miles on them now. I really can't say they have any more traction than the stock Dunlops. I never had an issue with the traction of the Dunlops. I am hoping to get some more mileage out of the PR3s. With the wider rear I think there is a cushion of safety as I was able to get right to the edge on the stock Dunlops but have not been able to on the PR3 and I think it's because of the wider profile. I'm not riding any easier. I'm no Marc Marquez, but I think I ride pretty hard thru the curves. I've not ridden much in the rain and when I do I slow it down and ride more vertical, so I' m not likely to find the tire limits in the wet. Would I give them my endorsement, yes. Will my next set be the PR3's. I believe they will.

'Birds, I don't think you will regret it. Like Ferret, and others, I like the feel of the RP3s. Despite a statement to the contrary on the forum, it is definitely not a function of "they feel good 'cause they are new". Even after a lot of use I still feel they are a better tyre than the OEM Dunlops or the Bridgestones I had fitted. And that is at all stages of wear.

I have now travelled 2100kms (just over 13000 miles) on my RP3s. I will admit that I may have over-used them a little, just look at the rear tread pictured below compared with your brand newies above.

I agree with the The Ferret (quoted above). I used my Dunlops and Bridgies pretty much right to the edge but, if you look closely, there is still a some chicken strip remaining on the RP3s. I haven't treated them gently, with quite a few peg touchdowns even as recently as the last few weeks, but the edges still feel very secure. So they should, there is still plenty of tread there. The centre tread is pretty much down to the the wear indicators so I leave plenty of room in front of me in the wet. I am going to change them after the NC rally trip, along with the chain and sprockets.

Cheers and enjoy the RP3 ride.
05-07-2015 06:50 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Looking back at your offer, that is very . . .Gone in 60 — 11:59 AM
The same bike not even broken in with . . .m in sc — 11:53 AM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
Chilly but sunny day and another 87 mile . . .peterbaron — 11:51 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
:clap:peterbaron — 11:50 AM
The same bike not even broken in with 1, . . .Ollie — 11:46 AM
CRISIS During the time that the Triumph . . .misterprofessionality — 11:25 AM
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM

[-]