Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.67 Average
Michelin Pilot Road 3s...I joined the club
Cormanus Online

Queensland, Australia
RE: Michelin Pilot Road 3s...I joined the club
They're falling like flies here.

I've been running BT45s for the past 9,000 kms or so. They replaced a set that lasted 12,000 kms or so and had more life in them. But, when the bike went for its 36,000 km service recently, the eagle eyed mechanic noticed a rip in the rear tyre.

So, earlier than expected or desired, today I had a set of PR3s fitted to the bike.
05-08-2015 12:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
(05-05-2015 06:08 PM)redbirds Wrote:  Got the Pilot Road 3's mounted today at my dealer in Jacksonville so I was able to put about 110 miles on them heading home. Not enough miles to really make an evaluation but I do think they ride smoother. Maybe the tires sidewalls are less stiff than the stock Bridgestones. My dealer was unable to order the 110/80 front as their distributor was out of stock so I went with a 120/70 front which has about the same diameter as the 110/80 but 10mm wider.

They look good red Thumbs Up

Wow P, 13,000 miles, can't ask for more than that out of a tire.

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2015 03:40 AM by CIP57.)
05-08-2015 03:36 AM
DAC Offline
High Mileage

Central Ohio, USA
You all have sold me. PR3s on order. I'll have 'em in time for the NC Rally. It's getting to be like the RLET wave: all the cool kids are doing it!
05-08-2015 06:30 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
I put a PR3 on the front last summer. Just ordered one for the rear.

Normally I like to stick with stock tire sizes, but the CB11 makes it tough. I think the only ones that fit are the OEM Bridgestones and Dunlops. I wasn't impressed with the wear on the Bridgestones and couldn't find the Dunlops at any of the usual outlets on the Internet. I spent an evening searching all of the major manufacturers for radials in the CB11's tire sizes and came up empty. The PR3 on the front has been excellent, so I'm going to bite the bullet and mount the 160/60-18 PR3 on the back.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
05-08-2015 11:46 PM
jazzmans Offline
1st Service Completed

Lost Wages, NV
I have PR 4s on my FZ09, had PR3's previously.

There is no doubt whatsoever about which tires I'll put on the CB once the stock tires are worn enough to justify it.

Michelin Pilot Road 4s (if I can find my size,) or Pilot Road 3s.
05-09-2015 12:43 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
(05-09-2015 12:43 AM)jazzmans Wrote:  I have PR 4s on my FZ09, had PR3's previously.

There is no doubt whatsoever about which tires I'll put on the CB once the stock tires are worn enough to justify it.

Michelin Pilot Road 4s (if I can find my size,) or Pilot Road 3s.

PR4's still not available in 18" for our bikes but PR3's are good with two choices for the front. Revzilla is the only site I've seen that lists the larger front, 120/70-18. It's not listed on Michelin's site for some reason.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
05-09-2015 01:05 PM
jazzmans Offline
1st Service Completed

Lost Wages, NV
well that sure sucks, the PR4's grip better AND have better tread life, but PR3s are better then the stockers, that's for sure.
05-09-2015 03:00 PM
Henrik Offline
Running Like a Top

Switzerland
Tire choice, or rather a lack thereof, is really the only thing that bothers me with the CB1100. For the beautiful spoke wheels on my EX the choice is basically non-existent. The Dunlops that came with the bike are okay, but they are no longer available, and so I really don't know what to do when I will need to change. Having tried a number of different ones over the years, I have never liked Michelins. It is their shape that I don't like, as they tend to drop in to corners rather than roll in to corners. In general, I prefer Pirellis, and on sportier bikes that has often been my choice. The last Diablos I had were amazing, and I would love to find something like that for the CB.

Right now it looks like I will be obliged to put tubes in a tubeless tire, and that is something I would rather avoid. The alternative will be to replace the spoke wheels....
05-09-2015 03:22 PM
Headbanger02 Offline
Running Like a Top

Indiana
Honest question....why would putting tubes in a tubeless tire be a big deal, reason I ask is I'm somewhat flirting with getting spokes wheels and while trying to price dunlops in the U.S. in a attempt to save money rather then buy and ship from japan I found out like you that they were being discontinued...
05-09-2015 04:26 PM
Henrik Offline
Running Like a Top

Switzerland
Headbanger, from what I have been told by my motorcycle shop as well as a specialized tire shop I have often turned to in the past, the first thing is the tubeless tires were not designed to have tubes in them. There is a risk of friction inside the tire that will cause chaffing and/or over heating of the tube which can lead to unexpected blowouts etc. The carcass of a tubeless is stiffer than a tire designed for tubes, and I suppose this has an impact on how the tube "behaves" inside the tire as well.
05-10-2015 01:56 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
And … ? Not too much to talk a . . .peterbaron — 03:21 PM
Todays weather
Today's weather (same system as PB) was . . .GoldOxide — 03:10 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition