Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A bit of a ride: homeward bound
metallyguitarded Offline
Road Warrior

United States
RE: A bit of a ride: homeward bound
What a fantastic journey. Thank you for sharing it with us. As great as it must have been for you, I'm sure a part of you is very happy to be home. But don't get too comfortable. Our expectations are now very high when it comes to your posts. I, personally, expect ride reports from every trip now. For example, "Rode down the road to the market where, if you get there early enough, you have your pick of the warmest, softest bread this side of the Yarra." [Insert photo of bread loaf here.]

In all seriousness, I appreciate your words and photos and what they reveal about the rider much more than the ride itself.

"People are more violently opposed to fur than to leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs." - A. Sayle
12-18-2014 02:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
buttaknife Offline
1st Service Completed

Roma, Italia
Great trip... Thanks so much for sharing. You really raised the bar for trip reports! Awesome.
03-05-2015 09:42 AM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Cormanus,

Can you ride a motorcycle to Alice Springs? Is there anything to see there?

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
03-05-2015 10:43 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Popgun,

The answer to the first question is yes. It's about 35 hours and a minimum of 3,000 kms from my home. A good deal of it may well be hot and flat and boring.

The answer to the second question is 'I'm not sure'. I've only ever got off a plane in Alice Springs to stretch my legs en route to Darwin.

The Ulysees Club, a motorcycle club for the over 40s, held its AGM in Alice Springs in 2014 which means lots of people rode there. I thought Pterodactyl and I met some riders on their way there when we went to Mildura in June, but they must either have been on the way back or going there for some other reason. But it does mean people ride bikes there. The website for the 2014 Ulysees AGM will have stuff on what happens in Alice Springs. The page on Rides & Tours will have further information.

Having always thought the drive up the centre of Australia wouldn't be all that interesting, I read a travel report in a newspaper years ago in which the authors reported their surprise at the number of interesting things to see and do on the way. You'd have to have a squiz at Uluru if you went that way—a mere 6-7 hours out of Alice Springs.

Planning a trip?
03-05-2015 05:32 PM
Johnboy Offline
1st Service Completed

Tennessee
As I sat here and read your seat report this morning I thought to myself ,,, what an interesting read this is and the way that you write Cormanus is quite incredible .. I have read all your reports and I have to say they're very impressive .... I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing with us as it really helps me thru these blistering cold days here in the state of Tennessee . I can see spring around the corner so hopefully I will have a nice seat time write up for the forum soon ... Until then ,, ride on and write on brother ! Thank you so much and God bless !

Once you have tasted the SUCCESS of riding the BEST , it's hard to settle for anything LESS........ Ride CB1100
2013 CB1100
03-06-2015 07:19 AM
Inline4 Offline
(aka Plungerhead)

Memphis, TN area
As usual, an amazing ride report and great pics. I'm SO envious!

EXCEPT, how the heck do you get comfortable riding on the wrong side of the road???

When in doubt, [i]GAS IT!!!![/i]
03-06-2015 06:22 PM
nhawk7504 Offline
Running Like a Top

Boston
That is some amazing scenery, Cormanus. Your roads are so smooth. The snow will start melting in earnest here on the Northeast USA coast this week. We got some frost heaves that make the road look like a motocross track. Potholes clear thru to China. I thought I lost the front end of the car the other day. Baboooom! Another great ride report, always!
03-06-2015 08:57 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
What did you do to/with your other bike?
:blush:Lord Popgun — 05:28 PM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
I put Spring air in my bike tires… : . . .Nachodaddy — 04:46 PM
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was a . . .GoldOxide — 04:34 PM
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was almos . . .Lord Popgun — 03:56 PM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
I put Spring air in my bike tires… :DLord Popgun — 03:55 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
There could always be worse headlines . . .Gone in 60 — 03:10 PM
Todays weather
Today was overcast and it reached about . . .GoldOxide — 02:53 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That is very pretty! I'm a bit chal . . .GoldOxide — 02:46 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,531
» Latest member: Tom the mod
» Forum threads: 15,992