Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are motorcyclists transients unable to be satisfied?
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Are motorcyclists transients unable to be satisfied?
Nice collection Tezza.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
12-19-2014 06:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
Well, my signature tells the tale. I hoard a bit, have a small collection of vintage bikes, and I like having a choice of riders, horses for courses. I tend to hold on to bikes. Except for that one, elusive 'sporty but not necessarily a sport bike' slot in my garage, which has seen quite a bit of turnover in the last few years. It has been filled by an RC51 Honda ( at the time, too much bike for me, but in retrospect a keeper.) A Triumph Daytona 650 (I liked it, didn't love it.) Moto Guzzi Griso Tenni Green SE (like being married to a voluptuous, sexy crack cuss who immolated herself every few months) and a Kawasaki ZRX 1200R ( a really cool and fast bike, but ill- handling)

The Bonnie is a keeper, it was my re-entry bike, I'm a Brit Bike fan, and it serves me well. The Tiger 800 is, for me, the perfect Swiss Army bike, and I'll have that for quite a few more years. The Speed Triple is ideal for it's mission, kept out on the West Coast for canyon hooning and light sport touring when I'm out there. The CB1100, I must admit, I waver on now. I'm at the self- imposed bike limit, and if something catches my eye (hello, BMW R1200RS) it will have to be a replacement, and I'm not sure the CB makes the cut.

As for the serial nature of bike owners, I just think the variety of looks, performance and technology in motorcycling preys on our nature. Bikes are immensely personal, far more so than cars. And you can get a very cool, fast, capable motorcycle for relatively low cost, so the flipping and trading thing is easier than a car. And FAR easier and cheaper than serial marriages or relationships!

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
12-19-2014 07:05 AM
hb9400 Offline
Running Like a Top

Marietta ga
(12-18-2014 02:14 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Hb900 .. You sound like my buddy Jim. He's had 3 or 4 Versys. Last one he sold, backed out of the deal and gave the guy his money back, rode it another couple months, and then sold it again. He say's it's still his favorite bike ( He's had 3 FZ-1's, 2 Fatboys and and FJR among plenty of others) Just sent me video clips of the 2015 Versys and a youtube of " 3 years with a Versys" documentary by some English fellow THIS MORNING! This after giving up riding " for good" a short time ago. Lol

Ferret,

To me they nailed it with the 1st generation but that only lasted for '08-'09 and the 2nd and now 3rd generation models just don't have the same appeal. I had a '07 WeeStrom for about 4 months but still didn't have the same feel. I'm very content with the 2013 CB1100, the 2014 deluxe is tempting with the upgrades but until I see it first hand I don't see an upgrade in the future. Now at some point I can see swapping out the 950T for a 2014-2015-2016 Valkyrie.

The ferret
12-19-2014 10:55 AM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
I started out going through bikes; but it was for the usual reasons at the time. Get a starter 125, Honda has a sale on a "real" bike, the CJ360T, ride that for a few years then a Kawasaki dealer comes into town with a very pretty 550, rode that until it was totaled (and just about did me too).

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
12-19-2014 11:30 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
I suspect that most people who take the time to read and/or contribute to a web forum are relatively obsessed with the subject matter of that forum; in this case, motorcycles. I further suspect that many, if not most, people who are obsessed with motorcycles like to research the new (or sometimes vintage) models that catch their eyes. I don't think that these folks are necessarily unsatisfied with their current bike, but are, rather, just curious about a particular ride and, if they have the means, they give the new ride a try.

I do not fall into the category of rider I just described. I like my CB1100 and as long as it doesn't break, it will be my bike for many years to come. If I ever have the means to buy another bike, it will be in addition to, not instead of, my CB. (but don't hold your breath)

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
12-19-2014 11:45 AM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
I tend to buy for the type of riding I intend to do or like to do. The trouble is, the type of riding I ended up doing after I came back from a 26 year break is not what I thought I wanted to do or had time to do. Sad

Picked up a Moto Guzzi Quota (adventure type bike) and for a return to riding type bike it was very good. Sold it right after I got the Griso (which I got because I thought the CB was never going to make it and that Tenni green Griso SE was too damn Purdy) when a fellow offered to buy it. Up until then I had no intention of selling.

But the XR650L because I wanted to do back roads and maybe dirt and the Quota proved too damn heavy for that. Turns out the 650L ain't no light weight either! Dang! I'd be better off with a GB500 instead.

Got the CB when it finally came here; thought the Griso would be surplus and sell her but the two beasts are completely different so she stays.

Been kinda sorta maybe looking at a California 1400 or Indian Classic for real long rides, and something a wee bit different. I suspect a bike will have to be traded in to do this. Frankly, I'm not all that keen on it right now. Smile

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
12-19-2014 03:53 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(12-19-2014 05:39 AM)CIP57 Wrote:  I have to personally disagree with the above comments. From a personal prospective I have never been influenced of justified my actions because someone else was either doing it ( on a forum) or said it was okay to do the same. I believe this is the first forum I've been on which a topic like this has even come up for discussion.

What you are talking about is justification, how one persons sickness can make you justify your actions. I would consider it more of a compulsive hobby than an addiction and to put it in the same class as a alcoholic to a tavern is just incorrect. The alcoholic or addict has three paths in life, Recovery, jail or death. I don't see someone buying a guitar, surf board, camera equipment or motorcycle going to jail or following those three paths.

Addiction works in the complete opposite of your post, addicts will find people who are as sick as them or worse, then comes isolation, if your one of the lucky one's there will be intervention and recovery.

You of course make some very solid points. I now recognize that my analogy makes light of just how serious the struggle is that any alcoholic or addict faces — I do know a few myself. For this I publicly apologize.

You are also correct, to a point, that what I was referring to is justification. In the post I referred to (from the guitar forum), I believe that I was probably more clear about that. That is something that I do find to be very common amongst many forums that I visit where people are obsessed with subject matter that can be bought and sold.

I do find that this goes beyond simple justification for many. While an addict will find others who are as sick as they are or worse, so it goes for many of the obsessive folks that make up online forums, only now the measurement becomes the level of obsession. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I'm familiar with this type of behavior as I can see it in my own actions at times. I do believe that a lot of people end up spending a lot more money under the influence of other like-minded individuals on the web than they would if they were to pursue their hobbies/passions in relative isolation, again at times myself included. Obviously this does not take on the life or death aspects of alcoholism as CIP57 points out. But I'm guessing that it has more of a financial impact on many people than many might realize.

To try and boil things down in a different way: For better or worse, most people that sign up and participate on forums to discuss objects like motorcycles, guitars, cameras, etc. are not exactly representative of the "average guy". It's easy to loose sight of this. The average guy, if he owns a motorcycle, probably owns just one and more than likely doesn't swap out bikes on a regular basis. Of course, the average guy probably doesn't own a motorcycle here in North America. He probably has just one car or truck for that matter, unless married then odds increase that the family owns more than one vehicle. The same goes for guitars, cameras, bicycles, etc.. Chances are, this guy isn't signed up on any forums to discuss any of these things. But if he happens to have a passion for something like fly fishing or firearms, then the odds increase that he owns more of these things than the next guy and might even be a member of a forum or two that discusses these things in depth. He probably doesn't care much what anyone else has to say about cars or bicycles, but can discuss in great detail various aspects something like fly reels or vintage Winchester rifles and there's a decent chance that he owns multiple examples of whatever it is that floats his boat. Not that here's not anything wrong with this. We all have our "thing" or our passions if you will.

The thing is, even if this guy owned a motorcycle, if you were to ask him a question such as the one the ferret posed, he'd probably answer simply "no". But if you asked a similar question about some fishing gear or guns, then he'd more than likely have a similar "transient" experience.

So now that I've called most all of us out as extreme weirdos, just remember that I'm pointing the finger at myself first and foremost. After all, who is more troubled or problematic than the guy that starts one of these forums to begin with?

Just meant as some food for thought, that's all.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
12-19-2014 08:27 PM
Jayimpalaman Offline
1st Service Completed

Rossville, Ga.
YES, YES, and YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for; the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1
12-19-2014 08:40 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Tonight, while avoiding the computer (this after finding myself being criticized for my moderating policies on this forum, once again, over on the UK CB forum.....one of the hurtful hazards of being a forum moderator I suppose) I wondered how different my life would be away from influences like computers and motorcycle forums.

I participate in forums because I love motorcycles, love talking about motorcycles, and love discussing different aspects of motorcycling. Internet forums are the best place to find others who also share my proclivity for talking motorcycles. Even if you drop into motorcycle shops, they are most likely not motorcyclists, they are just (mostly young) employees who happen to be working at motorcycle shops. They could be selling refrigerators or carpeting for all their knowledge about motorcycles beyond the models they are selling.

At this point in my life, I am retired. My wife being a couple years younger, still works. My children are grown and gone, busy raising families of their own. I spend most days from 5:45 AM until 6 PM by myself (one of the not discussed drawbacks of retirement). So, I ride my motorcycles and I visit motorcycle forums, mainly this one, but others as well.

I sometimes wish I could be one of those " average" motorcyclists that Guth talks about. Owning one motorcycle of my choosing... without influence, going about my life in blissful abandon, unconcerned with what others think about oil, tires, riding gear, newly introduced motorcycle models....or me. Just living my life.

I wonder .........

Or.....is participating in forums, so important that without them, would I eventually lose interest in motorcycling?

I wonder .........

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2014 10:03 PM by The ferret.)
12-19-2014 10:01 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Stop wondering. Just keep posting and riding and posting and riding...it's good for your soul.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
12-19-2014 10:49 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,753

Full Statistics

>