Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are motorcyclists transients unable to be satisfied?
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
RE: Are motorcyclists transients unable to be satisfied?
The interesting thing about motorcycles, at least for the majority of us, is that our involvement with them is very much fueled by passion. My "average guy scenario" works better with some things than it does with others, and motorcycles don't tend to fit quite so handily into such a scenario.

Here in the States, the average guy doesn't typically consider motorcycles among the basic transportation options. Those of us who do ride here are likely drawn to motorcycles for far less practical reasons. I suppose they simply suck some of us in because they strike us awesome. It's funny when you're out riding and you happen to pass by a child or group of children. Every once in a while, you'll notice one that just can't take their eyes off of your bike. It's how I was as a kid, even before I had taken my first spin on anything involving two wheels and a motor. Some of those kids are bound to be the motorcyclists of the future.

There have always been guys who go through bikes the way I've gone through guitars. My dad knew a few of them long before the internet came around. I remember as a kid noticing the different bikes that they would roll up on when they came to visit. Conversely, I've been really happy with the Hawk GT that I've owned for over 7 years now. Owning the CB1100 in addition to the Hawk almost seems unbelievable to me at times. In my case owning two bikes is extreme but in all honesty I have a hard time imagining selling off either one of them. I realize that I'm very fortunate to own more than one bike. I suppose I'm even more fortunate that I'm not lusting over multiple other bikes out there considering how much I like reading about them, talking to others about them and so on.

The difference between myself and many others is that my usage is fairly limited to the daily commute and fairly short day trips or weekend jaunts. If I were actually touring, or more of an aggressive rider, or had a stronger desire to ride off road , etc., then I wouldn't be so content with the bikes I own. But my world of riding is fairly specific and rather limited, so I suppose it makes things less complicated. In addition, chances are slim that I will wear out either one of my bikes before I'm no longer able to ride. I'll just continue to live vicariously through others when when it comes to swapping out bikes on a regular basis.

(12-19-2014 10:01 PM)The ferret Wrote:  I wondered how different my life would be away from influences like computers and motorcycle forums.

In your case, I'm guessing without motorcycle forums you would be out riding even more, racking up more time in the saddle than you already manage to fit in now. The ferret You might have a few less headaches as well, but certainly fewer laughs. Big Grin

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
12-20-2014 12:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blockhead Offline
Running Like a Top

Pittsburgh
"Hello, my name's Jim and I too am a motorcycle transient".... But I appear to be settling into this bike for the long haul.

Unlike most of you guys I've only been riding motorcycles less than three years. In December 2011 I bought a brand new Vulcan 900 Classic. Being a newbie I read as much as I could about bikes and joined the Vulcan Forum. Before you know it I fell 'victim' to needing all the farkles and proceeded to spend a couple grand on all the bells and whistles. The bike was barely broken in at 3000 miles and I decided I needed something bigger.

In February 2013 I bought a Vulcan 1700 Classic and repeated the process all over. Six months later I ended up on the CB. So, in a little over two years I was on my third different bike.....I don't see myself ever getting rid of this bike.

Like Guth mentioned, motorcycle forums have had an influence on my decisions.
12-20-2014 05:39 AM
hb9400 Offline
Running Like a Top

Marietta ga
Wow this has turned out to be one of the more interesting threads. How many of us ride the CB1100 2 up with their spouse / girlfriend or have a 2nd bike for that purpose? My spouse's decision to ride with me when I got back into riding was a factor in my cruiser selections.

The ferret
12-20-2014 06:05 AM
nhawk7504 Offline
Running Like a Top

Boston
1999, 82 Nighthawk 650. '00 1996 VFR750. '01 Buell M2. '01 KAW ZR750. '03 Honda Nighthawk 750. '05 Yamaha FZ1. '06 Ninja 250. '85 Nighthawk 700. '07 Ninja 500. '08 Nighthawk 750. '11 SUZ TU250. '13 TU250 and HON 919. - All good bikes. Most were just get me on the road while I save for the bike I really want and take many thousand mile test rides. I think it is part of who many of us are. We are fans of the motorcycle. It's fascinating to own a machine and see what makes it tick. Look at Jay Leno, the ultimate wheeled vehicle fan.
12-20-2014 09:44 AM
gossman Offline
Running Like a Top

Poverty Gulch, Oregon
Been in love with motorcycles since I road on the back of my brother in law's Yamaha when I was 11. It seemed my sisters all married riders, BSAs, Nortons, and Triumphs erre common in our driveway then. I dug a C110 Sport out of a barn for free, a little elbow grease and it was mine! Bikes came and went through my hands over the years; Tohatsu, Bridgestone, Bennelli, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki's, road and dirt, death traps and new, and proud to say I'm still riding after 41 years. Very few have stirred my heart, a CB 650, this CB1100, and sad to admit, that C110 that I salvaged. That is one I wished I could have today.
12-20-2014 04:59 PM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
I was very active in an astronomy forum for years; some of those guys go through scopes like some folks go through tissue paper. The reasons are as varied as the people. A buddy goes through bikes like crazy. He enjoys them, but seems to become impatient with them and wants to move on to something new.

I have no doubt forums fuel some garage churn when it comes to bikes and farkelizing. Replacing magazines to a great degree. On the other hand, as riders we have problems we need solutions for. Forums provide an excellent public service for us. Like every good tool, it can cut both ways. You offer it up and hope the good far exceeds the bad. When that doesn't work you ban the little idgits that try to ruin for the rest of us. Big Grin

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
12-20-2014 06:10 PM
NightRider Offline
Running Like a Top

Tennessee
I can see why one might trade bikes every few years because I suggest these are big boy toys and we all know we boys like to have new toys every year or so and unlike the car, the bike kinda flys under the radar with the wife and she considers it a hobby toy too for the hubby.

Except for my first wives. They were all about keeping me off my first bike so they could keep me around. Fooled them anyway. My third wife wants a bike herself so she is the keeper!

2014 CB1100 Black Edition - FOUR EVER
12-20-2014 07:19 PM
the_undecider Offline
Running Like a Top

Texas
I have all the makings of a motorcycle transient except for the money. Once I am more finamcially secure, all bets are off. Then, all I will lack is the space to be more of a collector/hoarder.

2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Honda CRF450L
2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
12-20-2014 09:36 PM
Leaning Offline
Break-In Period

NE S.D.
I've been riding since 1966, starting out on a string of two stroke Yamahas and a Kawasaki H-1 triple. Four bikes in twelve years or so. Then things slowed down a little. In 1980 I got a CB750F which I rode for five years. In 1985 when Honda was clearing out their warehouses I got a very good deal on an '82 CB900F, I could have gotten a white CBX with faring and saddle bags for $200 more but that's another story. In 2000 I traded for an ST-1100 so my wife and I could tour and enjoy motorcycling together. My wife hasn't ridden with me for a few years now so two weeks ago I went and picked up my CB1100 DLX. Two bikes in thirty years, not counting the smaller ones that have come and gone in between, doesn't seem too transitory. I'll be eighty two in fifteen years so maybe this is it, or maybe I'll become a frequent buyer again but right now the CB1100 is pushing all the right buttons, it may be another long term relationship.

What was the original question?
12-29-2014 07:28 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
This is an old thread..however we have seen a lot of guys selling recently and moving on to so ething else which made me think of this thread

EGAlvarez, and 736cc and a few others just saying it was time to move on to something new, so I thought it might be fun to bring up the discussion again.

Personally the CB1100 is a keeper for me, but there might be something else to join it besides my ST 1300 one of these day. I don't know. LOve both the bikes I have now. THe ST btw had 52,000K when I started this thread and it's now sitting at 72,000K and I just got a new rear shock for it from my kids for Fathers day so it isn't going anywhere soon.

No wantsies for me for something new, but 8 keep test riding stuff lol

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
06-30-2016 06:39 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition