Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Who here is an Adventure motorcyclist
Henrik Offline
Running Like a Top

Switzerland
RE: Who here is an Adventure motorcyclist
Ahh, lovely Laos! Very much worth the trip.
01-07-2015 12:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Henrik..most impressive. Have you ever started eating something and had to spit it out?

I am so envious of people who can make good no matter the circumstances, particularly when motorcycle traveling. One of my best friends, though not a motorcyclist( but a great hunting buddy) , but the first person I rode my motorcycle to visit 3 weeks after retiring, is one of those unflappable people. We are like the odd couple. His wife says we get along so well because he ever the optimist, is always sure that nothing will go wrong, even if it sometimes does, while I am ever the pessimist, sure that something is going to go wrong, even if it rarely does. We have gotten each other into some situations that looked very foreboding at the time, as I would have predicted, but we always managed to come out ok, as he would have expected.

He would make a great adventure motorcyclist, if I could only convince him to try riding a motorcycle. Me on the other hand, not so much.

Reading some more Egan and Salvadori today. It's a good day for it.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-07-2015 09:18 AM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

That is some pretty hard core riding. I've done some adventitious stuff but not that. The closest I've come to such an experience was back at age 14. I had a 4 speed Honda Trail 70 with a clutch. Top speed just under 50 mph. A sturdy luggage rack on the back to haul my gear. I was too young to have a drivers license so I wore a helmet with a face shield so police couldn't see how young I was. With 20 dollars in gas money, a sleeping bag, and all the food I could pirate out of my Mom's pantry I would take off for 3 or 4 days at a time. Paved roads, dirt roads, and desert trails all over Arizona. I can't believe my parents let me do it as there were no cell phones and they had no idea where the heck I was. I slept under mesquite trees at night and hung out under gas station canopies when it rained. McDonalds hamburgers were 15 cents back then and one and a half gallons of gas to fill that little bike up cost 30 cents. $20 had a lot of purchasing power back then. That little Honda was as reliable as a stone hammer and it never stranded me.

To a 14 year old boy in 1969 riding through towns and areas I'd never seen before, that was high adventure. Great days.

Chip

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2015 11:27 AM by The ferret.)
01-07-2015 10:48 AM
Henrik Offline
Running Like a Top

Switzerland
Don't think I have ever spit anything out. There have been things I haven't liked for sure, but I really enjoy trying things out. One thing I really don't like is durian. They are crazy about durian in South East Asia, and I have tried it in pretty much every form that it is served in, but no. Also, out of all the regional cuisines that I have tried, the one I really did not like was Philippino food. It is in my opinion really not good, and something very strange for that area due t the Spanish influence. Oh, and all the fried food in the US as well. I love sea food, and once in New Orleans I went to a sea food place that had been recommended. Ordered the sea food platter which sounded nice, and they brought in a huge plate with crabs, shrimps etc., and it was all deep fried! And it came with a side of fries!! Not for me....
01-07-2015 11:39 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Lol yea, we pretty much deep fry everything. I love talking to people about food. I am real picky, but wish I weren't. Something goes in my mouth that doesn't taste good to me, it's coming out, it ain't going down. I eat like an 8 year old. I ate Weinersnitzel and pom fritas 12 days straight when I went to Europe. The other day I ate chicken. ( those are on meals we had to buy..not provided by the tour company) How's that for adventure? Lol. I did like European breakfasts, but missed bacon, eggs over easy and toast.

( for those that don't know Weinersnitzel is a breaded and deep fried pork patty, and pom fritas are french fries) ...so everything american style deep fried lol

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2015 11:52 AM by The ferret.)
01-07-2015 11:48 AM
Henrik Offline
Running Like a Top

Switzerland
Luckily there is a lot of good food in the States that is not deep fried!! Lots of great bbq, with most states having their own special style. I like gumbos and clam chowders, lobster in New England (but no melted butter please!), crab in San Francisco or Miami. Oh, and some fabulous deserts like stunning pies etc.
01-07-2015 12:32 PM
the_undecider Offline
Running Like a Top

Texas
(01-07-2015 12:32 PM)Henrik Wrote:  Luckily there is a lot of good food in the States that is not deep fried!! Lots of great bbq, with most states having their own special style. I like gumbos and clam chowders, lobster in New England (but no melted butter please!), crab in San Francisco or Miami. Oh, and some fabulous deserts like stunning pies etc.

I was just discussing a nearby restaurant with some coworkers. They serve a barbecue smoked beef rib that is then deep fried and served with gravy. It is incredible!

2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Honda CRF450L
2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
01-07-2015 12:39 PM
Ole Offline
High Mileage

Evansville Wisconsin
I've been known to get around a little bit on a motorcycle.
Then I click on ADV Ride Reports and get humbled very quick like.

If only I had more money and time off work,,,,
01-07-2015 05:24 PM
ride4now Offline
High Mileage

Florida / Georgia USA

Does this count? Riding on a Forest Service road in N. Georgia on my KLR? I guess not.... I do like bouncing around the dirt roads and 'easy' trails up near my home but frankly have been fearful of venturing too far into the woods alone. There's no cell service and if I'm riding alone (which I usually am), I always think about what would happen if I wiped out and did damage to the bike or worse....to me. There I'd be... sprawled out with a damaged bike and/or a damaged 'me'...alone in the woods, no way to call for help, alone with the 'critters'. Not a pleasant thought. I bought the bike with a thought of riding (someday) The TransAmerican Trail with a friend.... or at least part of it. Who knows if it will ever happen. Two more great books to read about Adventure Riding is 'The Long Way Round' and 'The Long Way Down'. One was made into a movie too... Two great story's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

‘22 BMW R1250 GSA
‘14 Honda CB1100 DLX
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
‘70 Kawasaki H1 500
01-07-2015 08:27 PM
Elipten Offline
Road Warrior

San Antonio, TX
Get a personal locator beacon and you can signal for help, via satellite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current inventory

2014 CB1100 DLX
1990 BMW K75RT
01-08-2015 12:19 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition