Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Motorcyclist Online Article
AndyHe Offline
1st Service Completed

WA State
RE: Motorcyclist Online Article
With respect to the idea that the CB1100 is a beginner bike, I agree with Cormanus that the writer got that part wrong in that the CB1100 is just too heavy.

Looking at the current Honda lineup: the Rebel 250, CB300F, CRF250L, and maybe CB500F are what I would consider beginner bikes in that they are light enough and with limited power such that a new rider could ride them without getting into too much trouble. At the motorcycle show last month, it seemed that Honda was targeting the fugly CTX700 at the beginning rider also but that might be a bit of a stretch too. At the very least the low riding position and the extremely simple controls make it look easy to ride. The CTX700 was sitting right next to the CB1100 Deluxe and there couldn't have been more of a contrast in design between the two. I was amazed at the number of young people who enjoyed sitting on the CTX700 and didn't give the CB1100 a second glance. OTOH, there were many more people like me shaking our heads at the CTX700 and loving the CB1100.
01-07-2015 10:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
(01-07-2015 12:48 AM)Cormanus Wrote:  Two quotes from the different threads on this article. I'd be interested to hear (read?) other views.

While I can't guess how the author meant it, I'd venture to guess he was not serious. The notion that a 540 lb. bike that makes ~85 hp is suitable for a beginner is a bit out there.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
01-07-2015 11:53 AM
ClassicVW Offline
High Mileage

New Jersey, USA
I see a lot of beginners buying 175HP machines, so maybe the author meant the CB was a tamer ride than other bikes.?

--George
[i]"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day that you find out why" [/i]-- Mark Twain
01-07-2015 11:55 AM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
(01-07-2015 11:55 AM)ClassicVW Wrote:  I see a lot of beginners buying 175HP machines, so maybe the author meant the CB was a tamer ride than other bikes.?

I'd love to know who insures themBig Grin Several years back a neighbor kid was trying to buy a GSX R1 as his first bike. He was complaining that the insurance was a deal breaker. I looked at his quote and tried hard to keep from laughing. The quote for the first year was a few dollars short of the purchase price of the bike. Basically, the insurance company was trying to tell him that they thought there was zero chance that the bike would still be in one piece at the end of the policy term Big Grin

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
01-07-2015 12:24 PM
xNE0x Offline
1st Service Completed

MI
I don't care for reviews that are one sided. Clearly, the reviewer did not research what honda was doing with the 1100. It was more along the lines of "hey, I read the brochure and this is what it said". Not 1 mention of the design of the engine, or how much thought process was given. And I really think that is something that honda deserves credit here. I would encourage you to read up on honda's review of what went into the CB1100 if you have not already. They really sought to give the bike some retro character, and honestly they nailed it. I ride it's 40 year old counterpart, the CB750K and I clearly see / look / and feel the comparison. And, I like it. I still cannot wrap my head around the idea that this reviewer said it's a great beginner bike. How do they figure that? My guess is it's nimble 85 hp they refer to. A beginner bike would be something under 500cc, which my motorcycle safety class instructor years ago told us. If you've never ridden a motorcycle before, getting on anything bigger is asking for trouble.

My point if there is one in this thread is, reviews that I often read tend to go toward the bike with more power every time. And power is not everything tbh.

2014 Honda CB1100
1974 Honda CB750K w/915 Big Bore Kit
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2015 01:05 PM by xNE0x.)
01-07-2015 12:56 PM
NightRider Offline
Running Like a Top

Tennessee
Quote:But what you can’t tell until you ride it is how soft and forgiving the CB1100 is. “I never thought I’d say an 1100 would make a great beginner bike, but the CB1100 really would,” Group Publisher Andy Leisner said after a day aboard the CB, noting its extremely soft initial throttle response, light (and progressive) clutch, low seat, and generally easygoing demeanor

I take what was written in context. He also said that the CB1100 is "soft and forgiving" with "soft intial throttle response" (as opposed to an instant crotch rocket, I am certain he means), has a "light and progressive clutch" which is true, has a "low seat" which is also true for a standard UJM and a "generally easygoing demeanor" and that is true also.

One could say these are the attributes you would want in a great first (and only) bike. I also don't see the writer saying it is not so good for experienced riders nor does he suggest the bike is a toy. So, I refuse to focus on that one statement and instead on the context and on all the good things written about the bike in this review.

2014 CB1100 Black Edition - FOUR EVER
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2015 03:35 PM by NightRider.)
01-07-2015 02:55 PM
rjk555 Offline
1st Service Completed

Los Angeles, CA
(01-07-2015 02:55 PM)NightRider Wrote:  
Quote:But what you can’t tell until you ride it is how soft and forgiving the CB1100 is. “I never thought I’d say an 1100 would make a great beginner bike, but the CB1100 really would,” Group Publisher Andy Leisner said after a day aboard the CB, noting its extremely soft initial throttle response, light (and progressive) clutch, low seat, and generally easygoing demeanor

I take what was written in context. He also said that the CB1100 is "soft and forgiving" with "soft intial throttle response" (as opposed to an instant crotch rocket, I am certain he means), has a "light and progressive clutch" which is true, has a "low seat" which is also true for a standard UJM and a "generally easygoing demeanor" and that is true also.

One could say these are the attributes you would want in a great first (and only) bike. I also don't see the writer saying it is not so good for experienced riders nor does he suggest the bike is a toy. So, I refuse to focus on that one statement and instead on the context and on all the good things written about the bike in this review.

I concur. The general tone of the article was largely positive.
01-07-2015 07:14 PM
xNE0x Offline
1st Service Completed

MI
I guess it's a GREAT BEGINNER BIKE then.

We all bought beginners bikes.. doh.

2014 Honda CB1100
1974 Honda CB750K w/915 Big Bore Kit
01-07-2015 07:45 PM
NightRider Offline
Running Like a Top

Tennessee
I know that's right and your videos are groovy brother. Even.

2014 CB1100 Black Edition - FOUR EVER
01-07-2015 10:01 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM