Poll: What type of helmet do you primarily use?
Full Face Helmet
Modular Helmet
3/4 Helmet
1/2 Helmet
I Don't Wear No Stinkin Helmet!
Other
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Helmet Poll
ride4now Offline
High Mileage

Florida / Georgia USA
RE: Helmet Poll
Flynrider...that's one of the reasons I like the modular too. Flip it up to drink, pay for gas at a convenience store, get some air at a light. Plus you get the secure feeling of a full face. I know it's not technically as safe as a full face, but it feels that way too me.

‘22 BMW R1250 GSA
‘14 Honda CB1100 DLX
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
‘70 Kawasaki H1 500
01-17-2015 07:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OldF7Guy Offline
Running Like a Top

I have been a full face guy for well over a decade but have toyed with the idea of a modular. I have never had a motorcycle with a wind screen of any sort so a full face made the most sense to me for nothing other than eye protection not to mention if you crash. I guess I looked out of place on my Harley with a Full face but ask me if I care? I dont and I didnt.

Back in the 80s we wore 3/4 helmets and safety never crossed my mind. Eye protection is a big deal to me and I got tired of getting hit in the head and face by june bugs at 60 mph. That alone is the reason for me to wear a full face today along with the added protection if you crash.

I am not preaching to anybody. Most of my riding buddies wear nothing and I am good with that. Its their choice and they are big boys and know the risks. I am just glad we have a choice here in certain states.

Edit: In Kentucky we dont have any helmet laws and most of folks you see are wearing nothing. I would say its probably half and half. I wear my brain bucket 100 percent of the time with no exceptions. Its a good habit I have got into just like putting my seat belt on imo.

2003 Honda 750 Nighthawk
2013 Honda CB1100
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2015 09:26 PM by OldF7Guy.)
01-17-2015 09:13 PM
offroadfx4 Offline
High Mileage

Indiana
I bought a new HJC modular when I bought my CB and love it.

One trick I learned is if riding right into the sun, you can adjust the modular part to be a sun visor....probably wouldn't work at 70mph+ but for lower speeds, it's stiff enough to stay put and doesn't catch enough wind for me to notice it much.

I wear $300 polarized mirrored glass sunglasses but they just are enough if riding into a bright setting sun.

2018 BMW K1600GT
2014 Honda CB1100 STD
1984 Kawasaki GPZ750
1978 Yamaha YZ125
1976 Honda CB750 (cost $1776 new)
1973 Honda CB350
1970 Honda 50 Mini Trail
01-18-2015 01:10 AM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(01-17-2015 02:46 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  I've been all about the Snell rating up until now, but I think my next lid will be a Shoei GT Air with a built in sun visor which precludes it from being Snell-approved...my research indicates to me that the helmet is just as safe as their helmets without the built in visor.

I've never worn anything other than a full face helmet. Doubt I'll ever change. Since returning to riding, I've only worn Arai helmets, but I too am considering the Shoe GT Air for my next lid. My understanding is that SNELL won't even bother testing the helmet due to the built in sun visor. But I like the things I've read about it and it is certainly comfortable and a good fit for my head shape. Very tempting.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
01-18-2015 02:16 AM
VOZZA Offline
1st Service Completed

Wales UK
I have a Shoei Neotec and a Schuberth C3 PRO that I use most of the time for convenience. On longer journeys I have Shoei GT Air. All are good and have drop down visors for low sun conditions.

Pete

CB1100EX & NC750X DCT.
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 60 you don't have to.
01-18-2015 03:49 AM
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
I ride with a full face as we'll as a half helmet in the summer. The full face is safer but so are leathers vs jeans etc. I have two 1/2 helmets from my Harley days (they just seem to go together) If I had to pick one my 1/2 with a set of ear plugs is much more enjoyable to wear.

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
01-18-2015 05:52 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Though obviously not offering the level of protection inherit to a full face helmet, I think a modular of good design and quality is fine for my needs. One thing to look for when considering a modular is the latching mechanism. All high quality modulars use a steel latch while some cheaper ones use plastic.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
01-18-2015 06:03 AM
grover Offline
Running Like a Top

Dallas, TX
Helmet Poll
My main helmet is a full-face Scorpion EXO-1100 that has all my touring/commuting creature comforts- internal sun visor and Sena Bluetooth module. I also have a 3/4 helmet that I wear on occasion if I know I'm only hopping around locally, made by Licks Cycles.

Licks' 3/4 claims to be one of the lowest profile DOT approved helmets, so as to avoid looking like the Great Gazoo. Mine seems to fit a little loose so perhaps that's part of my issue, but at highway speeds I get a tremendous amount of lift pulling the helmet upwards and rotating towards the back of the head. I pair it with sunglasses, goggles, 1/2 face shield and full face shield- all produce this feeling of lift. That said, I like having the wind on my face so it's a nice option for staying close.

If it's the retro look you're wanting to maintain, another helmet you might want to consider is one of the new Bell Bullitts: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-bullitt-helmet

It's expensive for sure but is well-reviewed and would look the part with the CB. I have one on my wish list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2015 08:10 AM by grover.)
01-18-2015 08:05 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I just got a New Bell Tourlite SC as a gift from a nephew. Fit is pretty good but it's a Snell approved open face with "cheek guards" for lack of a better term and a visor and a little clear strip under the visor maybe 1" wide. Not sure what the clear strip is for. Certainly couldn't block any appreciable wind. Would probably be ok on the ST with the full windshield, but can't see it being much use on the CB.

http://www.genuineaccessories.com/Closeo...iteSC.html

I see in the above link that the little visor is called a sun strip ... Lol..that isn't going to work, it's way too lightly tinted. (I thought it was clear), but a strip of electrical tape will fix that.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2015 08:53 AM by The ferret.)
01-18-2015 08:42 AM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
I wear an HJC modular 95% of the time, but also have a 3/4 HJC with a clear full-face shield and the integral sunglasses feature.
I usually wear the 3/4 when I'm riding with our vintage bike club on our vintage bikes. It looks more the part.
As far as the modular goes, in another thread I told you about my crash on Peru in 2008.
I was wearing and HJC modular, and while I didn't land on my face, I ended up sliding on my face in the gravel bottom of a concrete drainage ditch.
The modular stayed in one piece and without it I would have sustained severe facial injuries I'm sure.
The helmet and my riding gear was so torn up I left it all behind in Peru and geared up the following summer in 2009.

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
01-18-2015 09:00 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
I put Spring air in my bike tires… : . . .Nachodaddy — 04:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was a . . .GoldOxide — 04:34 PM
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was almos . . .Lord Popgun — 03:56 PM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
I put Spring air in my bike tires… :DLord Popgun — 03:55 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
There could always be worse headlines . . .Gone in 60 — 03:10 PM
Todays weather
Today was overcast and it reached about . . .GoldOxide — 02:53 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That is very pretty! I'm a bit chal . . .GoldOxide — 02:46 PM
First time out this season now that Iâ . . .GoldOxide — 02:43 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,531
» Latest member: Tom the mod
» Forum threads: 15,992
» Forum posts: 330,381

Full Statistics

>