Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dyno results....Re-dyno after reflash?
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
RE: Dyno results....Re-dyno after reflash?
I spent a lot of $ customizing my '03 Harley, most of for either comfort, versatility or power - very little on just plain cosmetic changes.

It took me 10 years to get it the way I want it buying a few parts every winter and installing before spring. Counting the sidecar I estimate i have put an additional $25,000 into since I bought it new. But it was the only hobby I had outside of the Army so I don't regret a penny of it.

Of course now that it's perfect I can't ride it very long because of my back. Such is life.

War story (for Used2b) - when I was in Somalia in '92-93 we used to bet on scorpion fights. I had a champion I named Festus, he won all fights until someone threw a centipede into the "ring" with him. The centipede's whole head opened up into a giant mouth (think the movie Tremors) and promptly chomped off Festus' head. After that we killed all centipedes we saw. I still can't talk about the camel spiders.
01-21-2018 03:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(01-21-2018 12:51 PM)Guth Wrote:  
(01-21-2018 10:49 AM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  Notice Honda did NOTHING in terms of increasing power on the '17 model. Just refinements to the powerband, suspension, and handling.

The bike just does not need, and cannot benefit from, any more power.

I that that Honda did increase the power somewhat in the 2017 model — this would help offset the weight gain.

I don't begrudge anyone who wants to focus on increasing the power of the CB1100. Even if the gains seem rather small for the money invested, it if makes someone happy and they still enjoy all the other aspects that this bike brings to the table then more power to them (pun fully intended).

Also, while someone might not see too much difference on the dyno chart from adding a device like a power commander, I do believe that the changes that they feel when riding the bike are more significant. From that standpoint I can understand this mod in particular.
89 HP vs. 86 HP (claimed), but with the weight gain, it's negated.

To be clear, the 2014 Deluxe is the heaviest model ever released at 571 lbs. wet. The Standard is 540 lbs., and the 2017 EX is 562 lbs.

The Standard has the best power/weight ratio but it's inconsequential.

When I said Honda did "nothing" I was really thinking figuratively, since a 3 HP gain offset by the weight is not going to add to the thrill of hard acceleration!The ferret
01-21-2018 03:01 PM
PowerDubs Offline
Road Warrior

NWNJ
Quote:89 HP vs. 86 HP

http://world.honda.com/CB1100/spec/

Both rated at 66KW @ 7,500

The new bikes actually make less tq, at a higher rpm than the old ones..

Of course this is all from script from publications.

The real way to know would be to have 2 stock bikes, one old, one new, on the same day, same shop- dyno them.

The motor is 100% the same. All that changed is the intake boot on the airbox (part that people remove for the TSR plate) and the ECU tuning.

Cams are where the power is hiding in this engine.

Every other mod is fluff in the real world- meaning yes a muffler, decat, or tune might get you couple more hp but not enough to win the race against a rider who is only slightly better or even slightly lighter - if even just a drag race.

A few hp gain can easily be 'lost' depending on where your shift points are, rider weight, a moments hesitation, etc..and that is not even taking into account the 'launch' if at a dragstrip or red light.

To truly have a bike that can beat the other bikes consistently and somewhat easily- cams are what needs to be done...as well as more aggressive gearing.

All that being said- and I am an engine hot rodder at heart (none of my stuff ever stays stock)... on this bike it is all just for fun.

Could someone be the hottest CB1100 ever? Sure- and then get passed by some kid on a stock (just about anything else)...who isn't even trying.

That being said- I still do enjoy seeing what I can get out of things.

104whp / 75wtq ... for now.
01-21-2018 04:19 PM
SportsterDoc Offline
High Mileage

New Mexico
(01-21-2018 07:43 AM)peterbaron Wrote:  ...I used to modify 2-stroke engines with very great results (much cheaper/easier than 4-strokes)....four decades ago

So easy to work on 2 strokes!
Before Yamaha utilized reed valves on the intake (1972?), a fair amount of HP was easily gained by skirting the intake side of the piston by ~1/4 inch and by replacing a stock exhaust with an expansion chamber.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

23 Guzzi V7 SE 23 Yam XT250
18 Yam Bolt 22 Triumph St Twin 20 CanAm Ryker
14 Honda CB1100 18 Yam XT250 16 Guzzi V7II
17 Yam TW200 12 Triumph Bonnie 02 Sportster 1200S
03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360
70 Yam CT1 72 Yam CT2 72 Yam AT2
70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160
67 Honda CB16062 Honda CA110
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2018 05:19 PM by SportsterDoc.)
01-21-2018 05:19 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Even after reed valves, opening the intake ports in the pistons and trimming the piston skirt, stuffing the holes in the crank and milling the cylinder head was still the hot ticket for going fast on a Yamaha mx bike.
Two strokes were so easy and cheap to hop up.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-21-2018 05:38 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(01-21-2018 04:19 PM)PowerDubs Wrote:  
Quote:89 HP vs. 86 HP

http://world.honda.com/CB1100/spec/

Both rated at 66KW @ 7,500

The new bikes actually make less tq, at a higher rpm than the old ones..
I pulled those numbers from a couple of tests; pretty sure that my '13 did say 86 HP somewhere. Those are Euro numbers on that spec page linked above. They can be quite different. Euro ZX-10R makes 15 HP more than the US model! Reflash cures that but I don't miss it, so I never flashed mine.

Difference is very minor but it's all in the cams and ignition timing, compression ratio, etcetera.

A guy COULD make a real screamer out of a CB1100 no problem, especially the RS. 105-110 HP is very possible. The chassis could handle it.

It would sure make it a very lively competitor to the Z900RS although still much, much heavier.

(01-21-2018 03:00 PM)W/R Wrote:  The centipede's whole head opened up into a giant mouth (think the movie Tremors) and promptly chomped off Festus' head. After that we killed all centipedes we saw. I still can't talk about the camel spiders.
Those centipedes are real dangerous. Almost as dangerous as the amount of dough you can pour into a motorcycle!

Calls to mind "House of Pride" by Jack London:

"And I must tell of one other thing. It was down in Kona, -- or up, rather, for the Kona people scorn to live at less than a thousand feet elevation. We were all on the lanai of Doctor Goodhue's bungalow. I was talking with Dottie Fairchild when it happened. A big centipede -- it was seven inches, for we measured it afterward -- fell from the rafters overhead squarely into her coiffure. I confess, the hideousness of it paralyzed me. I couldn't move. My mind refused to work. There, within two feet of me, the ugly venomous devil was writhing in her hair. It threatened at any moment to fall down upon her exposed shoulders -- we had just come out from dinner.

"What is it?" she asked, starting to raise her hand to her head.

"Don't!" I cried. "Don't!"

"But what is it?" she insisted, growing frightened by the fright she read in my eyes and on my stammering lips.

My exclamation attracted Kersdale's attention. He glanced our way carelessly, but in that glance took in everything. He came over to us, but without haste.

"Please don't move, Dottie," he said quietly.

He never hesitated, nor did he hurry and make a bungle of it.

"Allow me," he said.

And with one hand he caught her scarf and drew it tightly around her shoulders so that the centipede could not fall inside her bodice. With the other hand -- the right -- he reached into her hair, caught the repulsive abomination as near as he was able by the nape of the neck, and held it tightly between thumb and forefinger as he withdrew it from her hair. It was as horrible and heroic a sight as man could wish to see. It made my flesh crawl. The centipede, seven inches of squirming legs, writhed and twisted and dashed itself about his hand, the body twining around the fingers and the legs digging into the skin and scratching as the beast endeavored to free itself. It bit him twice -- I saw it -- though he assured the ladies that he was not harmed as he dropped it upon the walk and stamped it into the gravel. But I saw him in the surgery five minutes afterward, with Doctor Goodhue scarifying the wounds and injecting permanganate of potash. The next morning Kersdale's arm was as big as a barrel, and it was three weeks before the swelling went down."

(Public Domain since 1986)
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2018 06:09 PM by Ulvetanna.)
01-21-2018 06:01 PM
peterbaron Online
Lives On Two Wheels

ON, Canada
(01-21-2018 05:19 PM)SportsterDoc Wrote:  
(01-21-2018 07:43 AM)peterbaron Wrote:  ...I used to modify 2-stroke engines with very great results (much cheaper/easier than 4-strokes)....four decades ago

So easy to work on 2 strokes!
Before Yamaha utilized reed valves on the intake (1972?), a fair amount of HP was easily gained by skirting the intake side of the piston by ~1/4 inch and by replacing a stock exhaust with an expansion chamber.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

+1 and even more and more, enlarging ALL ports/canals ++++...still love 2 strokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pb

"Drop a gear and disappear"®
'14 CB1100 DLX-#170 ® 26K kms (FOX - pleasure horse)
'14 CB1100/ABS ® 113K kms (MYSHOL - white draft horse)
'13 CB1100/c-ABS - 56K kms - sold
*Grand Chancellor*
01-22-2018 11:51 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,754

Full Statistics

>