Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Member from North Dakota
Scoobynut Offline
Running Like a Top

Dickinson, ND
RE: New Member from North Dakota
CA200, yep sure wish I had a better rig for hauling bikes, but oh well. We have a 30-60% chance of snow for the next 5 days or so. And then I'm flying out to the East coast next week. So, it will probably be at least two more weeks 'til I pick up the bike. In any case, it's too damn cold to ride yet, so the only real difference is that it's not out in the garage for me to drool on.

As a funny little aside, I had a dream I was riding the CB11 last night out on a narrow country lane, but there was a woman riding what looked like a CB350 right in the middle of the road making it difficult to pass her. I yelled at her to get out of the way, but she just looked back at me and glared. I'm not making this up.

I wonder what Freud would say about all that? Maybe the woman blocking the road represented mother nature (winter) which is obviously an obstacle to enjoying my new bike. One thing's for sure, I must be in a fairly deep stage of Cabin Fever if I'm dreaming about riding my bike.

Well, anyways, CA, you know how it is in these parts -- one day you wake up, and you're almost shocked because the grass has turned green seemingly overnight, there are birds chirping and flowers blooming, and it's almost like walking around in a daydream the first few real days of Spring.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2013 11:39 AM by Scoobynut.)
04-19-2013 07:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GSAviator Offline
1st Service Completed

(04-18-2013 04:29 PM)Scoobynut Wrote:  Another big thanks to Guth for starting and running this forum. It's fun to get in on the ground floor with you, Guth.

I bought my bike over three weeks ago, but we are still under 2 feet of snow here, so I'm still playing the waiting game -- the bike is over 100 miles away and I don't have access to a trailer or truck to go fetch it. Oh well. It will happen soon and I can't wait.

I bought my second bike in ND. While in Viet Nam, we had a shortage of staff cars, so many of us bought Honda 90's. Paid $100 for it, and sold it for $100 when I left. All it cost me that year was gas and a new battery ($10). I went everywhere on that bike, mostly to work at all kinds of odd hours. When the AF sent me to Grand Forks AFB, I knew I would never have a bike there. WRONG! The first nice spring day I bought a Bonneville (That would have been 1969.) Next to it was a CB750. Nearly bought that, but didn't. It was really great riding in the ND countryside in the summer, even if there were not many twisty roads.
04-19-2013 09:56 AM
Scoobynut Offline
Running Like a Top

Dickinson, ND
(04-19-2013 09:56 AM)GSAviator Wrote:  
(04-18-2013 04:29 PM)Scoobynut Wrote:  Another big thanks to Guth for starting and running this forum. It's fun to get in on the ground floor with you, Guth.

I bought my bike over three weeks ago, but we are still under 2 feet of snow here, so I'm still playing the waiting game -- the bike is over 100 miles away and I don't have access to a trailer or truck to go fetch it. Oh well. It will happen soon and I can't wait.

I bought my second bike in ND. While in Viet Nam, we had a shortage of staff cars, so many of us bought Honda 90's. Paid $100 for it, and sold it for $100 when I left. All it cost me that year was gas and a new battery ($10). I went everywhere on that bike, mostly to work at all kinds of odd hours. When the AF sent me to Grand Forks AFB, I knew I would never have a bike there. WRONG! The first nice spring day I bought a Bonneville (That would have been 1969.) Next to it was a CB750. Nearly bought that, but didn't. It was really great riding in the ND countryside in the summer, even if there were not many twisty roads.

GS, that's a pretty cool story. Bet you had no idea at the time what a '69 CB750 might be worth today -- or even that Bonneville you bought for that matter.

You are right about ND country roads, not a lot of twisties, but even to this day you can ride some highways and not see another vehicle for 50 miles. However, living here as I do, I'm always antsy to get away and ride somewhere else besides ND.
04-19-2013 11:37 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Like Montana? Great riding in Montana!or at least awesome scenery.
04-19-2013 01:48 PM
thumper Offline
Running Like a Top

Bakersfield, CA.
(04-19-2013 07:25 AM)Scoobynut Wrote:  I yelled at her to get out of the way, but she just looked back at me and glared.

I wonder what Freud would say about all that? Maybe the woman blocking the road represented mother nature (winter) which is obviously an obstacle to enjoying my new bike.

Might have been mother nature, but that whole "glaring" part sums-up every woman known to man.

Tongue

***ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander***
[size=x-small][color=#000000]The Stable--[/color][color=#0000CD]TEx[/color],[color=#FF0000]CB11A[/color],[color=#32CD32]ZX6R[/color][/size]
04-19-2013 02:34 PM
Scoobynut Offline
Running Like a Top

Dickinson, ND
(04-19-2013 01:48 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Like Montana? Great riding in Montana!or at least awesome scenery.

Depends on what part of Montana you're talking about -- Eastern Montana is much like Western North Dakota, but Western Montana is a whole different ball game, at least in and around the Rockies. I'm kind of fond of that Red Lodge/Beartooth pass area myself.

(04-19-2013 02:34 PM)thumper Wrote:  
(04-19-2013 07:25 AM)Scoobynut Wrote:  I yelled at her to get out of the way, but she just looked back at me and glared.

I wonder what Freud would say about all that? Maybe the woman blocking the road represented mother nature (winter) which is obviously an obstacle to enjoying my new bike.

Might have been mother nature, but that whole "glaring" part sums-up every woman known to man.

Tongue

I know, right? That's what made it seem so real. You know, come to think of it, the woman in the dream did look kind of like my ex-wife...
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2013 03:00 PM by Scoobynut.)
04-19-2013 02:58 PM
GSAviator Offline
1st Service Completed

(04-18-2013 04:29 PM)Scoobynut Wrote:  Bet you had no idea at the time what a '69 CB750 might be worth today -- or even that Bonneville you bought for that matter.

No, I wasn't smart or lucky enough to keep the Bonny. I sold her after moving to Colorado Springs and just before my second tour to Thailand. When I returned, some friends were riding BMW's, and so I hopped on one and rode them for many years until they became unduly complex (my opinion of course). By the way, I towed that Bonneville on a little trailer behind my 71 Vette convertible from Grand Forks to Colorado Springs.
04-19-2013 07:56 PM
Scoobynut Offline
Running Like a Top

Dickinson, ND
(04-19-2013 07:56 PM)GSAviator Wrote:  
(04-18-2013 04:29 PM)Scoobynut Wrote:  Bet you had no idea at the time what a '69 CB750 might be worth today -- or even that Bonneville you bought for that matter.

No, I wasn't smart or lucky enough to keep the Bonny. I sold her after moving to Colorado Springs and just before my second tour to Thailand. When I returned, some friends were riding BMW's, and so I hopped on one and rode them for many years until they became unduly complex (my opinion of course). By the way, I towed that Bonneville on a little trailer behind my 71 Vette convertible from Grand Forks to Colorado Springs.

Aviator, you must've been Air Force, huh? My Dad was stationed at Minot AFB before he retired. That's how I ended up in this Arctic wonderland!
04-19-2013 09:06 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM