Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
17" Wheel Conversion
mjezek Offline
1st Service Completed

Irvine, CA
17" Wheel Conversion
Searched for it and found no results ....

Has anyone here converted his CB with 17" wheels ?
I know it has been done in the past and I was wondering what it takes. Do I need a complete new front setup ? forks, triple clamp, ...
Which other Honda Motorcycle might be a good donor ?

One reason is, I want to ride her on the track and there is not really a lot of sticky rubber in 18" out there ....

2013 CB1100
Life is too fu..ing short !
02-04-2015 12:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kevbroce Offline
Running Like a Top

Burbank, Ca
RE: 17" Wheel Conversion
Get your flack shield ready...

I've never seen it done but money can make anything happen. I'd be curious about a fort swap on our bikes, I'm not a fan of the front suspension...
02-04-2015 12:53 PM
Django Offline
Road Warrior

Germany
(02-04-2015 12:31 PM)mjezek Wrote:  One reason is, I want to ride her on the track and there is not really a lot of sticky rubber in 18" out there ....
Special road surface on track should be sticky enough for available rubber in 18", considering what one could do with a CB 1100. It has just 90 hp, not over 160 hp.

The foot pegs and then the exhaust scratch the ground very early anyway in the curve. With 17" you could lean even less.

I don't know, if this is a good idea.

73 Django -- [url=http://www.ironbutt.com]IBA[/url] #59882 -- [url=https://djangotours.wordpress.com]Django Tours[/url] -- [url=http://1asw.de/~rsz/bilder/ES-I64/15-34-0832.jpg]Django on CB1100[/url]
This message was signaled with a flashlight into the end of a fiber.
02-04-2015 01:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NightRider Offline
Running Like a Top

Tennessee
So, sounds like smaller wheels ain't in the best interests of making track racers out of the beloved CB1100, but maybe small front wheels might look good on, quess what, that's right, the Easy Rider 1100. Wonder if anyone has considered an Easy Rider conversion for the CB1100, I would see some in the 70s with raked front ends and peanut tanks and tall handle bars and nice chrome sissy bars two feet high. That four cylinder 750 engine in a chopper conversion was simply awesome. But not for me...or maybe so. The chain drive and lack of water cooling makes it one of the better options for a conversion and air cooling fins makes it look natural. But I fear I am getting a little off the original thread direction.

2014 CB1100 Black Edition - FOUR EVER
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 01:51 PM by NightRider.)
02-04-2015 01:30 PM
mjezek Offline
1st Service Completed

Irvine, CA
(02-04-2015 01:15 PM)Django Wrote:  
(02-04-2015 12:31 PM)mjezek Wrote:  One reason is, I want to ride her on the track and there is not really a lot of sticky rubber in 18" out there ....
Special road surface on track should be sticky enough for available rubber in 18", considering what one could do with a CB 1100. It has just 90 hp, not over 160 hp.

The foot pegs and then the exhaust scratch the ground very early anyway in the curve. With 17" you could lean even less.

I don't know, if this is a good idea.

I respect your opinion .... let's leave it like that ....

2013 CB1100
Life is too fu..ing short !
02-04-2015 01:37 PM
NightRider Offline
Running Like a Top

Tennessee
Quote:The foot pegs and then the exhaust scratch the ground very early anyway in the curve.

What? Are you sure? I bought this thing rather than a cruiser, like a Victory Kingpin, white with silver highlights, because it should corner like a UJM Standard bike, which is considerably better at cornering without scraping hard parts, I thought, pretty sure. You mean on the track?

02-04-2015 01:46 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Some guys are actually able to do this on the street. Not me. If I ever hear scraping noises, I'm pretty sure I've gone down and am sliding on it's side.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-04-2015 02:02 PM
kevbroce Offline
Running Like a Top

Burbank, Ca
(02-04-2015 01:46 PM)NightRider Wrote:  
Quote:The foot pegs and then the exhaust scratch the ground very early anyway in the curve.

What? Are you sure? I bought this thing rather than a cruiser, like a Victory Kingpin, white with silver highlights, because it should corner like a UJM Standard bike, which is considerably better at cornering without scraping hard parts, I thought, pretty sure. You mean on the track?

My pegs are worn and my Yoshimura RS-3 pipe has touched down as well.
02-04-2015 05:16 PM
NightRider Offline
Running Like a Top

Tennessee
(02-04-2015 05:16 PM)kevbroce Wrote:  

Have you considered a sportbike? One of those Italian bikes with high pegs and pipes tucked under the seat. Aprilia makes nice ones like that. I seriously considered one until realizing I should not gofast through curves at my age and should just get something to cruise on that I can use on low speed curves without touching down like one would do on a low cruiser.

(02-04-2015 02:02 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Some guys are actually able to do this on the street. Not me. If I ever hear scraping noises, I'm pretty sure I've gone down and am sliding on it's side.

That's the way I want to ride with this CB and at my age. I expect never to scrap unless I scew up on an approach. Thanks for the reply.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 05:52 PM by NightRider.)
02-04-2015 05:47 PM
kevbroce Offline
Running Like a Top

Burbank, Ca
(02-04-2015 05:47 PM)NightRider Wrote:  
(02-04-2015 05:16 PM)kevbroce Wrote:  

Have you considered a sportbike? One of those Italian bikes with high pegs and pipes tucked under the seat. Aprilia makes nice ones like that. I seriously considered one until realizing I should not gofast through curves at my age and should just get something to cruise on that I can use on low speed curves without touching down like one would do on a low cruiser.

Day's like that I'd love a sportbike. And when I've done 400 and 500 mile days I would have loved to be on a more touring oriented bike. But when I commute I'd love to be on something sub 400lbs that got 70+ MPG. And when I go grocery shopping I wish I had a car.

But since I was looking for a bike that would be easy to live with as my only mode of transportation, I bought the CB. The ferret

That said, I've got room in the garage...
02-04-2015 06:10 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM
The Cormanus Chronicles: Remembering Jake an...
I’m sure contemporary rollers have som . . .Cormanus — 02:53 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,751

Full Statistics

>