Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
CB77
JustPassinThru Offline
Running Like a Top

Montana
RE: CB77
(03-05-2015 09:57 PM)Elipten Wrote:  I understand him, and sadly no one has found a way to cheat the devil his due. Just wait or at least keep in touch with son.

I don't understand that a BIT.

Four thousand miles of use? In sealed storage ten years? WHAT pleasure is he getting out of it? He rode it so little; and so long ago...what could it mean to him?

Stuff like that...is just a burden. Sure, it would be fun to ride - IF he is able. In his 80s, he's not likely to be able to start or ride it. And it wouldn't be like he's reliving old times.

I know what a hoarder is, of course; and it's the prerogative of old age to be stubborn. But there comes a time to set aside everything: Baby rattles; kid's toys; the baubles of youth.

I had a set of skis in with some stored-away stuff...high-quality skis. Expensive at the time. And I had a great time with them, too-few years and too long ago.

I won't use them anymore. I'm too old and now the snow is too cold. And part of what skiing was about, the mating-dance of the young...is long behind me.

They're up for sale; for pennies. Get them gone.

Eventually I'll be the same way about my bikes. Frankly, it may be sooner than I want; while showing my BMW R1100RT to a buyer, I managed to...not put the side-stand down all the way, lean it over to put on the not-down stand, and DROP the thing.

No big thang; just a few scuffs. Engine off; and the buyer wasn't put off. He helped me out from under it; and did buy it.

But it's a foreshadowing of what's to come. And WHEN that time comes, I'd rather my toys go on to more life, to bring more joy...than to rot in a dead-air storage warehouse, slowly decomposing.
03-17-2015 07:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Elipten Offline
Road Warrior

San Antonio, TX
CB77
And to each their own behaviors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current inventory

2014 CB1100 DLX
1990 BMW K75RT
03-17-2015 09:02 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
The CA 95 was an interesting bird. Not very popular ( my brother had one) the CB 160 was much more popular ( I had one of those) Pressed steel frame, square earls type front end, square rear shocks. This was in Hondas days of experimenting with mass production.

Ask the owner if he has a number in mind, if he says no, tell him you don't want to offend him, but it is going to take a lot of work and money to get it up to snuff and you don't want to have more in it than it will ultimately be worth. I would start at $250 and go from there.If he says no, then he must have a figure in mind. Try and pry it out of him and see if you are willing to go that high.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
03-18-2015 03:58 AM
Ole Offline
High Mileage

Evansville Wisconsin
Thanks for all the advice guys. I am really torn here. I know I can get the Benly cheap, but in my heart of hearts, I want a Superhawk. Why I don't know. For two summers my work commuter bike was an old Honda S65. You guys must remember them? A guy on the Kawasaki Versys forum bugged me for months and months to sell it to him. I was weak and I let it go. It was a cool little 45mph bike and I do miss it:

It only had 2000 miles on it when I bought it. Spark plug, battery, carb clean and that lil sucker fired right up. I think I am going to pester the old man and the the son who have the Superhawk with 4000 miles. I don't think the Benly will work for me. I must break them down!
03-18-2015 04:23 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Man, what a clean S 65. Should not have let that one go Ole.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
03-18-2015 04:33 PM
Ole Offline
High Mileage

Evansville Wisconsin
(03-18-2015 04:33 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Man, what a clean S 65. Should not have let that one go Ole.

ferret that S65 was 100% stock
even had the original tires
I did do "OK" when I sold it ($)
but I want an Elvis bike
I may need my head examined but I will not give up

03-18-2015 04:50 PM
Scoobynut Offline
Running Like a Top

Dickinson, ND
Sounds like you'd better hold out for a Superhawk -- even if you get the little Benly, you'll still have a Superhawk in the back of your mind. A little patience -- and maybe a lot of Craigslist searching -- will pay off eventually.
03-18-2015 06:40 PM
huxley2 Offline
1st Service Completed

Shreveport, LA
Ole. What a great photo. It is from the 1964 movie " Roustabout" That was toward the first of the movie. Soon thereafter, a jeep with a pretty girl, driven by her father, ran Elvis and the CB77 off the road and thru a fence. Bad damage to the SuperHawk and they left it in a field. (Have it on my DVR)

Note the CL 77 style handlebars not standard on the CB77. Also there was a piece of black tape on the badge on the tank. (No placement fees back in those days)

Also in the jeep was Barbara Stanwyck, the owner of the Carnival, who hired Elvis as a roustabout. The bike was returned to Elvis all repaired and rode it more in the movie. Because of that movie, I had a red CB77 "SuperHawk"' riding it in high school until 1969, when I got a 1970 Boss 429 Mustang as my daily driver. (That car sells for $200k+ today) I sold the mustang regrettably, but never forgot about the Honda. Today I have a perfect red one in my garage. Also have a blue one (with a blue seat) being restored. Love those bikes.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2015 06:58 PM by huxley2.)
03-18-2015 06:41 PM
Ole Offline
High Mileage

Evansville Wisconsin
I would love to see some pics of your Superhawks Huxley.
03-18-2015 07:26 PM
Elipten Offline
Road Warrior

San Antonio, TX
CB77
Lord that S65 looks brand new! There cannot be many of those around outside a museum. Next time you feel like selling a bike like that, you call me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current inventory

2014 CB1100 DLX
1990 BMW K75RT
03-18-2015 07:35 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.